Should we book a cruise for our parents?

fuelerdude

My parents want to go on another cruise, but we are having reservations as to whether or not this feasable with my fathers' health conditions. He is dibetic, has had 2 strokes (limited mobility), and numerous other issues. His health will remain stable for a couple of months at a time, but suddenly he'll be in the hospital on and off for a month. Allthough they really want to go on another cruise, I am worried about the following:

1: Would they be able to enjoy the cruise due to limited mobility.

2: Travel insurance would be a must, but would they(most policies) cover all of the pre-existing conditions?

3: If there were a medical emergency, what is the response time?

4: What kind of/level of medical assistance is available on the ship?

These are my basic questions, and I'm sure I'll have more if it still seems it qould work out.

Our parents have allways been there and given us so much. We are now at a point in our lives where we can start to be there for them, as well as give back to them. It's not out of obligation, but respect and thankfulness.

1: Would they be able to enjoy the cruise due to limited mobility ?

Not knowing their full situation it's hard to say for certain if they will enjoy themselves. Will there be someone traveling with them to assist your mother in your father's care as that could make a difference. In fact if it were my parents I would not let them travel by themselves.

2: Travel insurance would be a must, but would they(most policies) cover all of the pre-existing conditions?

Pre-exiting conditions are waived if the policy is purchased on averge 10-14 day from the initial booking(deposit) date. You can compare policies at www.insuremytrip.com or www.squaremouth.com or www.quotewright.com

Hard to say as there's many varibles that come into play. Once the ship knows the about the medical need they respond fast . The unknown is how long will it take for your parents and or anyone else to contact someone in the event a medical emergency should arise is the unknown.

Though the ship's infirmary has the basic life saving equipment along with a Doctor and nurse(s) it is NOT a full service hospital. If it's anything other than treating a broken arm or some other minor injury the ships doctor will stablize the patient for transfer to a land based hospital . This could require airlifting from the ship if the medical emergency occurs while at sea rather than on a port day which is another good reason that some should be traveling with them.

No one on this forum can tell you ( nor should they) for certain that your parents will be OK going on a cruise or that you should book a cruise . You should probably discuss this with their doctors before making an final decisions.

Fuelerdude, my perspective is (I hope) unique and my response different.

My father died on the 3/31/12 sailing of the NCL Jewel. I say, if your folks want it, go for it. Indeed, we're taking Mom, whose health problems include Parkinsons and severe shoulder arthritis, on a Hawaiian cruise in July. She wants to go, and as she says, she may not be able to go again at all.

Cruising is the best option for limited mobility travelers. Dad was in a wheelchair; he could stay in the cabin, enjoy the beautiful sea, and be wheeled to different restaurants and entertainment, all handicapped accessible and within minutes of the cabin.

We bought private insurance, covered pre-existing conditions (bought within 14 days of booking cruise). Would never have traveled without it, given Mom and Dad's health.

We found Dad in bed at 4:30 a.m., already passed. Once we called the "front desk", paramedics were there within minutes, if not seconds.

The ship's infirmiary is NOT equipped for major health issues, as noted earlier, and that is the only drawback to traveling on sea. You may want to consider NCL's POA cruise, where the ship is always just miles away from an American port.

Best of luck,

el henry

Princess has California Coastal itins. Friend's have taken their ailing father several times. Except for a mandatory stop in Ensenada, all the ports are in California. Less need to worry about if he got sick and needed hospitalization off the ship.

• 1 month later...

It seems odd to me that in your opening post you want to give back to them, but in the next sentence you want to take their freedom away from them.I do not mean that as criticism, but, it is what you are saying. My goodness, let them go. And if it makes you more comfortable, go with them in a separate room. Do not buy travel insurance from the cruise line. Private companies will cover pre-existing conditions. Book an accessible room, and rent your father a scooter.

The ships medical facilities are great. You might also find out from their dr if there are any records that they should have. These can be taken on a thumb drive.

It sounds like they will not have many more opportunities to do this. I say help them do this, and do not worry about the morrow.

I must disagree that medical care on a ship is great. It might be OK for basic health issues like colds, flu or other simple procedures, but for someone with complicated health issues, I'm not so sure. When I fell getting into a tender on a Royal Caribbean ship, neither the doctors nor the nurses could figure out how to work the X-ray machine and had to take the X-rays four times before they got it right. My mom fell and broke her hip on Celebrity and once she was evac'd off the ship and taken to the hospital in Ft Lauderdale, the doctors there were aghast at how badly mom's treatment was on the ship, from not xraying her head wound to using surgical glue to suture a long gash on her scalp (the doctors in FLL had to use a scalpel to remove all the glue that also glued her hair to her scalp---they were supposed to shave her head and use stitches and not glue her head together). So personally speaking, I would not trust cruise ship doctors to handle complicated health matters.

Insurance is a must....If you don't buy it right away, there are a couple companies that will do pre-existing until PIF date - costs a little more, tho.

Mobility issues... DS is quad, requiring total care, with numerous medical issues. Cruising is our #1 vacation. [that and Disney].

My parents want to go on another cruise, but we are having reservations as to whether or not this feasable with my fathers' health conditions. He is dibetic, has had 2 strokes (limited mobility), and numerous other issues. His health will remain stable for a couple of months at a time, but suddenly he'll be in the hospital on and off for a month. Allthough they really want to go on another cruise, I am worried about the following:

1: Would they be able to enjoy the cruise due to limited mobility.

These are my basic questions, and I'm sure I'll have more if it still seems it qould work out.

Our parents have allways been there and given us so much. We are now at a point in our lives where we can start to be there for them, as well as give back to them. It's not out of obligation, but respect and thankfulness.

My DW & I both agree with all the advise given above, but what do you and your siblings think, is this a chance to grant your parents their wishes, hopefully not their last. It would be a great opportunity for a family reunion, and hopefully not the last. ;)

We're in our early to mid eighties, and plan on going cruising, until the impossibility occurs. :rolleyes:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 10 Day Cruise, Quebec City to New York City

26th cruise - Royal Princess, 14 November - 01 December, 2013, Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

27th cruise - Star Princess, 20 December, 2013 - 04 January, 2014, 15 Day, Hawaii, Christmas-New Years, LA-LA

28th cruise - Crown Princess, 15 February - 05 April, 2014, South America, FLL - LAX, 49 Days.

29th cruise - Regal Princess, 02 June - 09 June, 2014, Venice - Barcelona, 02 June - 09 June, 2014, 7 Days

I had polio as a child. I recovered completely and went on to have an active life. I worked as a nurse for 40+ years until polio came calling again. During those years I focused on my family and my work. We occasionally traveled but not as much as I would have liked to. Now in our late sixties, my DH has had stents placed in his heart, I walk very poorly with a walker and mainly use a scooter to get around. I also got a cancer diagnosis this past December. I now travel more than I ever did when I was younger. I love it and if I become ill when away from home so be it. That is what Med-Jet Assist and travel insurance are for. As far as medical response on the ship, how far away do your parents live from their EMT or ambulance place. Where I live it would probably take at least 15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive, on the ship 5 or so minutes. The infirmary is just that, an infirmary not an intensive care unit. If they were my parents I would buy the tickets. However my daughter won't get a vote in our travel. We will plan and take the trips we desire.

Archived