Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Hello, everyone!

She's ba-aaaack! Hip-hip, hurray! Hip-hip, hurray! Hip-hip, hurray!

I have to say that as much as we've all missed you on the thread, the poor people there on the east coast still dealing with the aftermath of Sandy needed you more. As has already been said, "Thanks for all that you do!" Yet another extension of our wonderful "volunteer forces" that make this country the greatness that it is.

That being said, now get back to work. . . you have writing to do.

Of course, I'm just kidding. Hope you have a nice, relaxing break with your family. Hope you feel better soon!

All of my best ~:)

Hello, everyone!

Well...I'm on the home stretch of my deployment to NY/NJ for Hurricane Sandy!

I was originally supposed to come home on Feb. 26th - but my boss kindly asked me to extend my deployment, and so I did...in the meantime, I ran into weather issues, as well as health issues, that prevented me from coming home when I wanted to.

The good news is - I'll be traveling - by train, no less - to sunny Florida tomorrow for some rest & recuperation with my family...woot! I can't fly, due to a nasty sinus infection that has decided to take up residence in my ears; they're plugged on the ground, and heaven knows what air-cabin pressure changes would do to them on a plane! So...once I hit Florida - and spend some time catching up with my long-lost Hubby and kids, whom I haven't seen in a month, I'll be back to writing....yay!

Thanks for all of your patience...it's been a long deployment, but we got a LOT done here in New York. My job was to inventory the warehouse every day, and the warehouse will be shut down this weekend - as everything is pretty much gone & distributed to the folks of NYC.

Off to my last day of work - and then tomorrow - Amtrak! (I've never ridden the train - I wonder what kind of adventures I'll have?!)

Wow! Feel better....must make you feel good to know how much you were missed.

At least we now know you are OK (sort of). Rest, enjoy your family, a month?, wow again.

Thanks for all you do.

Hello, everyone!

I was originally supposed to come home on Feb. 26th - but my boss kindly asked me to extend my deployment, and so I did...in the meantime, I ran into weather issues, as well as health issues, that prevented me from coming home when I wanted to.

The good news is - I'll be traveling - by train, no less - to sunny Florida tomorrow for some rest & recuperation with my family...woot! I can't fly, due to a nasty sinus infection that has decided to take up residence in my ears; they're plugged on the ground, and heaven knows what air-cabin pressure changes would do to them on a plane! So...once I hit Florida - and spend some time catching up with my long-lost Hubby and kids, whom I haven't seen in a month, I'll be back to writing....yay!

Thanks for all of your patience...it's been a long deployment, but we got a LOT done here in New York. My job was to inventory the warehouse every day, and the warehouse will be shut down this weekend - as everything is pretty much gone & distributed to the folks of NYC.

Off to my last day of work - and then tomorrow - Amtrak! (I've never ridden the train - I wonder what kind of adventures I'll have?!)

I hope you get over your sinus problem quickly. Also have plenty of reading material for the train ride as there isn't a whole lot to look at along the way.

Hello, everyone!

Feel better and thank you for your volunteer work!!!

I did the train from NY to Chicago once and it was actually kind of nice. Just gave me time to relax.

I see the makings of a whole new kind of review! I hope you got a sleeper car. I loved my overnight train adventure years ago. I went one way in coach. I called and got a sleeper as soon as I arrived at my destination for the way home. That was a very enjoyable ride.:)

Hello, everyone!

Sounds like a train review is in the works:D

Looking forward to your review!

LOVED the Allure (our fav ship)--booked Oasis for our 20th.

Solarium & Central Park are my favorite spots on board, too!!!!!

Take care.

When we left off our ship tour yesterday, we had finished up with Deck 11…which offered at least two hideaways from the crowds and the noise…the Library, as well as the balcony at the very back (aft) of the ship.

Just a reminder/tip: if you fail to make reservations for OceanAria – or want to see it a 2nd time – use one of these aft balconies. Or - you can always use these to watch some of the other events going on in the Aqua Theater, which include (for Eastern Itinerary, anyway!):

Day 1: OceanAria Aqua Show (Reservations Required) 9:00 pm 10:45 pm

Day 2: Sail Away Party Celebration 1:15 pm

Day 2: OceanAria Aqua Show (Reservations Required) 9:00 pm 10:45 pm

Day 3: World’s Sexist Man Competition 2:00 pm

Day 3: OceanAria Aqua Show (Reservations Required) 7:30 pm 9:30 pm

Day 4: A Selection of Fountain Shows 10:15 pm

Day 4: Outdoor Video Concert (Rod Stewart) 10:30 pm

Day 5: 50’s & 60’s Rock ‘n Roll Party 10:15 pm

Day 5: Outdoor Movie Sing Along (Grease) 11:15 pm

Day 6: Aqua Trend Fashion Show 12:30 pm

Day 6: Belly Flop Competition 1:00 pm

Day 7: Let Me Entertain Me! Aqua Show Noon 1:30 pm

Day 7: Outdoor Movie 4:30 pm

SailAwayParty_zps4b1ec5d3.jpg

My view of the Sailaway Party Celebration on Day 2 - from Deck 11 Aft Balcony

I’ve listed these to not only help with your scheduling…but also as an FYI for anyone who books the Boardwalk Balcony cabins…especially those close to the Aqua Theater. Keep in mind that you will possibly “hear” some of these events – on your balcony, or even in your cabin, depending on how close your cabin is to the Theater. Note that some of these events begin late in the evening...close to bedtime...so, if you have small Klingons - they could be disturbed by the noise.

Steve & Amy were in Cabin #11329…which is the last cabin on Deck 11 – closest to the Theater….they were serenaded until the wee hours of the morning with the movie “Grease” on Day 5….and being serenaded by "Shama Lama Ding Dong" was not their ideal lullaby at 1:00 in the morning. ;)

Decks 10…and Deck 9…have no public areas that I know of….so that takes us down to Deck 8…and Central Park…truly one of my MOST FAVORITE areas on the ship. I fell in love with Central Park…and I’ll do my best to show you why….

We are also in that same cabin for our 2014 cruise-did they like it or would they have preferred another location?

We are also in that same cabin for our 2014 cruise-did they like it or would they have preferred another location?

We really liked the cabin for many reasons. It's out of the way, no kiddies running up and down past your room (because there's no where to go)

You get a great and unique view of the Boardwalk and the aft/wake/Aqua Theatre without having to pay more for an ocean view balcony.

The Super Secret balcony is right there, about 5 steps from your cabin.

You can watch the shows right from your balcony. I would still recommend that you go to see it in the theater as well, it's not the same effect when you're on the same level as the divers.

You will need ear plugs and a noise machine app on your phone if you want to sleep/nap when anything is going on in the Aqua Theater. It was loud. Fortunately, we weren't in our room most of the times when shows were happening. Except Grease at 1am.

Overall, great cabin. We would get it again if an ocean view balcony was not available/affordable.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362890355.733829.jpg.4cdcfc5ffd8adf6b2f02d8c24241979a.jpg

View from 11329

We really liked the cabin for many reasons. It's out of the way, no kiddies running up and down past your room (because there's no where to go)

You get a great and unique view of the Boardwalk and the aft/wake/Aqua Theatre without having to pay more for an ocean view balcony.

The Super Secret balcony is right there, about 5 steps from your cabin.

You can watch the shows right from your balcony. I would still recommend that you go to see it in the theater as well, it's not the same effect when you're on the same level as the divers.

You will need ear plugs and a noise machine app on your phone if you want to sleep/nap when anything is going on in the Aqua Theater. It was loud. Fortunately, we weren't in our room most of the times when shows were happening. Except Grease at 1am.

Overall, great cabin. We would get it again if an ocean view balcony was not available/affordable.

[ATTACH]263596[/ATTACH]

View from 11329

Thanks for the info-makes me feel like I made a good choice-We don't spend in the cabin alot so will avoid the loud times. Can't wait to relax and watch the show from the balcony.

Isn't there free Wi-Fi on most Amtrak trains now or is it just Acela from DC to NYC?

Hope you enjoy the train, Sherri. DH and I happened to pass the northern Autotrain terminal twice yesterday and it gave us fond memories of ridin' the rails (not to mention both of us used to take the train when we were kids a lot to visit relatives).

Looking forward to more of your review (tapping my foot not too patiently ;))!

Sherri - thanks for the wonderful review of the Allure. I am so homesick for that ship right now!! I agree, Central Park is the best place to be while at sea.

We'll be sailing on the Allure again in November, have been on both the Allure and Oasis, and they are the best. My husband who didn't really want to cruise is now quite addicted to both of those ships. I'm actually learning a lot from your review even though I've sailed on the Allure before. I even had the Live the Allure book which forced me to travel around the ship and look for clues (one of the areas was the Chapel, and I'm glad someone let you know to walk through those doors, the chapel is gorgeous).

I'm going to visit those public balconies on 11 and 12 even though we'll be in a Grand Suite (an anniversary splurge) just so I can see where they are and how the view of the Boardwalk is from up there, and might convince hubby to eat at one of the specialty restaurants.

Thanks again - I'm only halfway done with your review and I've already learned so much - Janey

Isn't there free Wi-Fi on most Amtrak trains now or is it just Acela from DC to NYC?

Hope you enjoy the train, Sherri. DH and I happened to pass the northern Autotrain terminal twice yesterday and it gave us fond memories of ridin' the rails (not to mention both of us used to take the train when we were kids a lot to visit relatives).

Looking forward to more of your review (tapping my foot not too patiently ;))!

Joan - I know the Acela has had internet for several years. I also read in the AAA magazine a while ago they were trying to extend this but I think most train outside of the NE corridor don't have internet