Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Sometimes I feel like I’m talking to myself…when no one comments…but that’s okay, because I kinda’ do that sometimes, anyway – talk to myself – so this feels just like normal. Although it’s a bit crazy. Crazy normal? But anyway….moving on….!

Next to Rita’s Cantina is “Smile” – which is a photography studio where you can dress up in weird costumes and get your picture taken…for a fee, of course.

Smile_zpse4b3d74d.jpg

I liked the giant camera storefront...that was pretty cool....

There was a prominent sign out front that requested “No Photos Inside” – which is something the people over at Britto Gallery could take lessons from (I’m just sayin’…..).

Then, we have Pets At Sea…which gives all you parents the wonderful (and costly) opportunity to let your Klingon design a stuffed animal…dress it (for more money)…and name it (which I believe is free – you get adoption papers).

petsatsea_zps65b818bf.jpg

I don’t know what the costs are exactly, but a basic animal is at least $20…and by the time you add a cute outfit, you’re probably not walking out of there for less than $30. Two outfits will set you back a little more than $45.

I will have to say that they ARE awfully-darned cute:

PetsAtSeaWindow_zpse9767cb6.jpg

I like the alligator....

After you’ve indulged in some crazy and wacky photos, and then created your new pet, you’ll have worked up an appetite…so the Ice Cream Parlor will be your next stop, naturally!

BoardwalkIceCream_zps7cb619dc.jpg

There are lots of flavors to choose from, and combined with lots of toppings, it’s pretty delicious! However – this is NOT free – so take note. If you’re looking for FREE ice cream, head up to the pool for some soft-serve.

Inside_zps2a84f7d7.jpg

This place also serves crepes, frozen yogurt, and sorbet…there are some tables to sit at outside to people-watch. It would usually open up around 11:00 am each day.

This is the first time I have read one of your reviews and I am already addicted you tell them in such a way that makes them very interesting. I am from the UK and due to go on the navigator in April , can't wait. I saw earlier on you said you use spreadsheets to organise your cruise do you have a template, I am terrible at organisation. Anyway back to reading your fantastic review, from now on I will be looking out for them. I have been following trainman for a couple of years now looks like I will be doing the same with your reviews.

Don't worry Sherri your definitly not talking to yourself. I haven't been on for 2 days (had some very painful physiotherapy on my shoulder) and I come back to catch up on about 10 pages. Better get comfortable!!!

We are all in awe of your writing to comment. I leave in a little over a week for the ship. I check a few times a day for your review. Hoping the East Coast doesn't suffer to much(they have had more than their fair share this past year) and you don't get called out. Looking forward to your day by day review. Thanks so much for all the great info so far.

I formulate questions as I read, and each page brings new ones as your review continues to grow better and better. :D

Regarding the rock wall...not having anyone at the bottom certainly lessens the attraction for me. As younger DS (we'll call him "Spider Monkey") spends a huge amount of time on the wall, mom spends equally as much at the bottom chatting with the sports deck staff, making friends. Now, with no one there to talk to me, I'm going to be seriously without purpose standing there. Hopefully someone will be nearby and I won't look like a dork standing there alone LOL!

Loved the spa menu. I noticed a mother/daughter massage package and a dad/son package. I wonder if they would alter it in my case, doing a mother/son package. Spider Monkey is dying to have a real massage and while it's not my favorite activity (I know, I'm one of those weird women who don't really love it when people, other than my beloved chiropractor, touch me) he really wants to do it, so I would hope they would acquiesce and let me do that.

And finally....Rita's Fiesta! OMG, I'm dying to do it now. My kids love Mexican, and I love margaritas, so how can you go wrong? I will definitely have to book this when we sail her next year.

Again Sherri, thank you so much for the review so far. I'm loving it. And I'm sitting here in NJ as my office just adjusted our close time from 2 PM to 1 PM because of the storm. If you find yourself being shipped out this way (into NJ/NY/CT) you should let us know, as many of us are on the east coast and would be happy to put you up if you need housing.

This is the first time I have read one of your reviews and I am already addicted you tell them in such a way that makes them very interesting. I am from the UK and due to go on the navigator in April , can't wait. I saw earlier on you said you use spreadsheets to organise your cruise do you have a template, I am terrible at organisation. Anyway back to reading your fantastic review, from now on I will be looking out for them. I have been following trainman for a couple of years now looks like I will be doing the same with your reviews.

Oh yay, comments! I'm such a whiner...! Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the review...and I'll be sure to post a copy of my spreadsheet...but you have to promise not to laugh, because I am SOOOOO OCD. ;) And again, to be compared to Trainman, is awesome. :)

Don't worry Sherri your definitly not talking to yourself. I haven't been on for 2 days (had some very painful physiotherapy on my shoulder) and I come back to catch up on about 10 pages. Better get comfortable!!!

Ouch - that had to hurt! I'm glad you're back, catching up...!

Here's a comment... I've been a long time reader here to get the scoop on my own vacations. A few days ago, I finally registered for the sole purpose of subscribing to your thread. I'm enjoying it very much. Thank you. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Wow...thank YOU! Now see, this makes my day. I'm glad it was able to help! And thank you for signing on and commenting...it helps inspire us to keep writing! :)

Don't worry about "no comments". You're the first review that I'm actually taking notes on for our trip (and hoping they apply to Oasis W. Caribbean :) ). All the other reviews, it's just been a "mental" note. Guess what happened to all those? lol

Shoot - if I relied on mental notes, I'd be a mental case! Hee hee...thank you for commenting. I was being a big baby about it - having a pity party - and I shouldn't have fretted.

Still following, but am reading on rest breaks from shovelling snow...yech!! Am dreaming of warm sun, soft sand and blue waters...sigh...

Bleh...snow. I like the way you dream!

We are all in awe of your writing to comment. I leave in a little over a week for the ship. I check a few times a day for your review. Hoping the East Coast doesn't suffer to much(they have had more than their fair share this past year) and you don't get called out. Looking forward to your day by day review. Thanks so much for all the great info so far.

Thank you! I hope I don't get deployed, as well...although, at this point, it's a little too late (flights are all on hold until Monday at the earliest). If I had to go, it would be next week. I DO know we have some ARC volunteers already in place, and they're opening shelters as we speak.

I hope you enjoy your cruise next week...you'll be enjoying the sun!

I formulate questions as I read, and each page brings new ones as your review continues to grow better and better. :D

Regarding the rock wall...not having anyone at the bottom certainly lessens the attraction for me. As younger DS (we'll call him "Spider Monkey") spends a huge amount of time on the wall, mom spends equally as much at the bottom chatting with the sports deck staff, making friends. Now, with no one there to talk to me, I'm going to be seriously without purpose standing there. Hopefully someone will be nearby and I won't look like a dork standing there alone LOL!

Loved the spa menu. I noticed a mother/daughter massage package and a dad/son package. I wonder if they would alter it in my case, doing a mother/son package. Spider Monkey is dying to have a real massage and while it's not my favorite activity (I know, I'm one of those weird women who don't really love it when people, other than my beloved chiropractor, touch me) he really wants to do it, so I would hope they would acquiesce and let me do that.

And finally....Rita's Fiesta! OMG, I'm dying to do it now. My kids love Mexican, and I love margaritas, so how can you go wrong? I will definitely have to book this when we sail her next year.

Again Sherri, thank you so much for the review so far. I'm loving it. And I'm sitting here in NJ as my office just adjusted our close time from 2 PM to 1 PM because of the storm. If you find yourself being shipped out this way (into NJ/NY/CT) you should let us know, as many of us are on the east coast and would be happy to put you up if you need housing.

Thanks, Janet! I'm glad it can all help...I bet the spa would adjust to you - anything to sell another massage, and they'll be all over it! ;)

Between spending time in NJ last year (for Hurricane Irene) and another three weeks in November THIS year in NJ (for Hurricane Isaac), I was hoping to give the northeast a break for awhile...this weather is just crazy!

Never fear. We are here. The CC loyal lurkers, Coachaholics, grandmas, total cruise junkies, etc. It will be my turn in 58 days. Thanks for your time and effort, your work with the wonderful Red Cross and being so much fun. Where to next?

Just off Allure February 3. Loving your review and wishing I was still on board. We had an amazing time and we too never entered the MDR. Also really enjoyed your Europe review. Trying to convince DH to book for Europe. No luck so far. I keep telling him to read your Europe review because I know he’ll want to go. He knows he will want to go too if he reads your review, so he hasn’t read it yet. (LOL)

Edited by raerom

And now...a break in our regularly-scheduled broadcast...

...for all of you dealing with the blizzard...and snow...and are dreaming of sand and sun and blue water:

StMaarten_zpsfaafd32e.jpg

That was where I was at in St. Maarten...just a few weeks ago....sigh.

I'm not known for my amazing photography skills, but I am pretty darned proud of that photo. ;)

...for all of you dealing with the blizzard...and snow...and are dreaming of sand and sun and blue water:

I'm not known for my amazing photography skills, but I am pretty darned proud of that photo. ;)

Loving your review!!!

What beach is this??? SOOO pretty!!!:D

The (almost) last stop along the Boardwalk is Boardwalk Donuts. This is a bad, bad place (not really). I really, really try to avoid donuts in “my real life” – i.e., when I’m not cruising – but drat, if I wasn’t tempted by these little delights. How could I NOT be, when they offered such temptations as raspberry-filled and cinnamon sugar confections???!!

Donuts_zps362e6a26.jpg

And they’re free.

Let me repeat that.

They’re FREE.

BUT…being that they were free…and tasty…they would disappear quickly…so my advice is to get there EARLY (they’d open around 7:30 am) so that you get DIBS on the DONUTS!!!!

KeyLime_zps946d00c6.jpg

Key lime???!! Are you KIDDING me??!! It was awesome...and notice my ghostly reflection in the glass....I did that on purpose, so that you would all be amazed at my photography skills.

This wasn't the ONLY place onboard where you could grab a FREE donut...and it actually wasn't my FAVORITE place for a FREE donut. We'll be covering that little place when we tour Deck 5 (ooooohhhhh, a hint!)...where I could indulge in...hold on to your seats....

....WHITE CHOCOLATE DONUTS.

In fact, if anyone is cruising on the Allure soon, that would be the BEST souvenir you could bring back for me...I don't ask for much. Just some white chocolate donuts. I'm sure they would ship well. ;)

-----

One more last stop on the Boardwalk...and I saved the best for last, intentionally...anyone have any clues? Guesses?

What have I left out???

What would make the Boardwalk...well...the BOARDWALK??!!

Loving your review!!!

What beach is this??? SOOO pretty!!!:D

It's the Super Secret beach.

As you can see because it is barbarian-free. Hee hee.

Actually, I don't know if it has a name, but it is behind the Le Ti Provencal restaurant, located at 158 Boulevard de Grand Case, in St. Maarten.

I did a RCI shore excursion that I will review later - and one of our stops was this restaurant, which included this beach. And it was divine. ;)

This wasn't the ONLY place onboard where you could grab a FREE donut...and it actually wasn't my FAVORITE place for a FREE donut. We'll be covering that little place when we tour Deck 5 (ooooohhhhh, a hint!)...where I could indulge in...hold on to your seats....

....WHITE CHOCOLATE DONUTS.

I'm curious -- did you try the white chocolate donuts on your freedom cruise? Did they have them? On my recent Indy cruise they had white chocolate donuts at cafe promenade... I'm wondering if they are the same!

I'm curious -- did you try the white chocolate donuts on your freedom cruise? Did they have them? On my recent Indy cruise they had white chocolate donuts at cafe promenade... I'm wondering if they are the same!

Waaaahhhh....no. I missed them on the Freedom. How did I miss these??!! Usually, my super-duper nose can sniff out chocolate three miles away - and yet I cruised for seven days in July, never knowing the wonder and delight that the White Chocolate donuts offer.

Yes...on the Allure, at least, they were at the Cafe Promenade...they were probably there on the Freedom, as well, but I didn't go there for breakfast. My bad.

Sometimes I feel like I’m talking to myself…when no one comments…but that’s okay, because I kinda’ do that sometimes, anyway – talk to myself – so this feels just like normal. Although it’s a bit crazy. Crazy normal? But anyway….moving on….!

Sherri,

I commented last night and had important questions but you were off hobnobbing with politicians. :p:D

Bill

Thanks!! I needed that!:p

DW and I will be on the Allure in early April and am loving your EPIC review. I read your Med review and am currently re-reading the Freedom OTS review to try to convince DW that we should go on it in October for her major birthday milestone. I know its not proper to say which number.

Your photo for us in New England watching the snow fall is very nice. I am lucky enough to be north of the worst of the storm, but we are still getting a sizable amount. Your review is making the weather more bearable (by being able to ignore it.) :)

Sherri,

I commented last night and had important questions but you were off hobnobbing with politicians. :p:D

Bill

:p Hobnobbing?! Huh...I was doing my civic duty by making my opinions known about an unpopular proposal coming before the council....it was standing room only at the meeting, so my opinion was one of the majority. Hee hee.

On a serious note, I think your questions were answered, right?! I know you wanted to know where to get the libations for the secret deck...and if you don't have friends in Cabin 11329 (like I did) who have champagne, make sure you are STOCKED up before you head off there for Sailaway! ;)

Thanks!! I needed that!:p

Sigh...don't we all??!! I'm SO wishing I was still there.... :)

Edited by KansCocoa