Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

I stumbled on this thread by accident just today......

DUH, how did I miss it?

Well glad I found it, it is really getting me excited for July.

Excellent!!

Need More.....more......:rolleyes:

Sea Ya

Glad you found it, Sue - and I hope you enjoy your trip in July. :)

Yup...Any thread title with "Middle Aged Drama Queen" in it will now be mandatory reading for me. I can only guess at the number of hours I'll waste (ah, I mean thoroughly enjoy) going through the Med and Caribbean reviews.:D

Aw, this made me smile - and laugh! I hope you enjoy my other reviews...I tried to make them EPIC, as well. ;)

And btw...glad you discovered the camera was overpriced...as I said, it's best to do some research before purchasing things...I figured there would be a mark-up, but holy cow!!!

We hiked along the edge of the caldera from Fira to Oia. It took about 3 hours, mostly because every 20 ft you have to stop and take a picture of the amazing view. After being entrenched in some of Europe's most populous cities for a week, we saw maybe 5 people the whole time. (Not counting Sherri's family in the van as they drove by us :) )

It was peaceful, gorgeous, exhilarating.... and FREE.

Ahhh sounds perfectly amazing!!! And certainly priced right! Thanks!

I just spent some time getting caught up on your review. I am still trying to dig out from the snowstorm. It started snowing on Friday am and continued till Saturday afternoon. I had 5 ft drifts in front of my garage doors. Thankfully Ken planned ahead before he left. He had my neighbor plow me out. His friend came over to snowblow as well. I am still shoveling my way out of my front door. Yug!!

We are planning on going sometime in June. I know July/August are the best times to go but they are also the busiest. I would like to get a Aft cabin so I will need to book as soon as the window opens.

June would be better for us, actually...I'll be watching, too, but let me know when you see something.

There - the word is out...we're sailing to Alaska in 2014! Who else wants to join us?! It will be fun, for sure!!!

Thanks for your continued EPIC review. The nearer it gets to our time on Allure, the more interesting all your info is, especially the discounted Mojitos! Boleros and Mojitos are one of our favs on RCI ships!

Glad to help, Pete! I love a Mojito - on ANY ship! :D

That hike was amazing!!! Glad you guys were able to use our info!!! Out of all of the fabulous days we spent on that trip, the hike was still one of our favorites. And by far the cheapest thing we did!!! :D

-Amy

I'll never forget when our van came across you guys on one of the roads in Santorini - and we were all yelling at our driver to stop and roll down his window so we could yell at you...our driver was SOOOO shocked and surprised, thinking, "How do these TOURISTS know ANYONE that's on Santorini??!!"

So enjoying your review Sherri. I was totally convinced prior to reading this that I would never enjoy sailing on one of these huge ships - now I am trying to figure out how to swing one later this summer!!

Yay - maybe we'll be on the same cruise! I KNOW we're going this summer - on either the Allure or the Oasis - I just haven't figured out the exact dates yet. I have a deposit on the July date, but that's subject to change. I think you'll have an amazing time!

Your review has been awesome. I am really enjoying reading it! This surprised me. Are the bird chirping sounds recorded? REAL birds don't actually live in the Central Park area of the ship, right???

Thanks again for sharing!

Sherry

Um, actually, there have been cases of real, stowaway birds living in Central Park!

I learned this when I did the FREE walking tour of Central Park...sometimes, when the ship is in port, stowaway birds will come onboard. This is especially true in Labadee, when the birds fly down from the colder mountains in the winter and are attracted to the warmth of the ship. There are not one, but TWO real birds nests in the trees in Central Park as we speak...see if you can go on a Scavenger Hunt and find them!

The gardeners will try to shoo the birds out before sailing, as they said that passengers are likely to complain if a bird flies into their cabin...go figure. ;)

Edited by KansCocoa

Your review has been awesome. I am really enjoying reading it! This surprised me. Are the bird chirping sounds recorded? REAL birds don't actually live in the Central Park area of the ship, right???

Thanks again for sharing!

Sherry

The only way to stop bird poop

Alex

There ARE actually REAL birds on occasion. One truly ruined our lunch as we were eating outside in Central Park.

The wife and I were walking around taking pictures and we were outside the Britto Gallery, when I told her to stand next to some of the stained glass looking butterfies, so I could get a shot of her. I was looking down to get the camera out of the bag when I heard "Help me, Help me" then I saw a guy run past me. I looked up and saw my wife's feet sticking up out of the bushes beyond the railing. The man who rushed past me grabbed her by the hand and pulled her out. I'm glad he did, LOL because I was laughing too hard to help her. She keep backing up until the back of her legs encountered the railing and she fell backwards. Thank God she didn't get hurt, because I wasn't much help. Her little cries "help me, Help me!" reminded me of the half human/half fly, that was caught in the spider web, from the movie "The fly." She's still mad at me about that, but then again you have to know my wife...............

I am at home cracking up reading this. Very descriptive to give just the right vision. I'm glad she's ok but jeez this is funny.

There are Cupcake Decorating Classes – both for adults AND kids – but sign up early, as they are extremely popular. I didn’t take the class on the Allure, as I had already done it on the Freedom – but Amy & her mom took it, and they made these darling Poodles:

Poodles_zps5d78c253.jpg

2.Sign up for the Cupcake Decorating Classes as soon as you board – or at least within the first 3-4 hours of boarding.

FYI - you can book the cupcake classes online in the Pre-Cruise planner BEFORE you sail. I believe it's under the specialty restaurant category.

And as Sherri said, the cupcakes are delicious!!!

Sherri, after being on the Oasis in 2011 and Allure 2012, I am finding your review so very interesting that there is so much I still missed on this class ship. And not for lack of trying. Thank you again...if you need any pictures let me know, I have a lot of pictures of the shows...dont worry, no flash used! lol

I showed the picture of the freestyle machine screen to my hubby since he is a bit OCD and he shrugged and thought they were trying to be "bubbles". My brain exploded.

Hmm, now that's an interesting view.... I never thought of them as bubbles. I guess that goes to show it's all about perspective.

FYI - you can book the cupcake classes online in the Pre-Cruise planner BEFORE you sail. I believe it's under the specialty restaurant category.

Sherri, Is there a charge or the cupcake decorating class? If so, do you remember the cost? Also, the regular coffee and tea in the Promenade Cafe is still free, isn't it? I, too, LOVE the Promenade Cafe !

Café Promenade

Promendade_zpsa78f23f9.jpg

Oh, how I love the Café Promenade…I think it’s an under-appreciated little treasure, but that may be okay, because the more under-appreciated it is, then the less of a line when I walk up each morning for my usual breakfast of White Chocolate Donuts and iced Chai Tea....So stay away. Really. You'll HATE the Café Promenade. Trust me. <wink>

CPFood_zpsab804ade.jpg

The offerings would change as the day went on…and the nice thing, the Café Promenade is open really, really late….

Didn't see you mention them but I hope they have mine and Marie's favorite late evening snack, the ham and swiss cheese croissants. :)

Great question!

I REALLY liked them both...they both have their good points...but for sheer entertainment factor, I'd have to choose the Allure...simply because I fell in love with Central Park, as well as the Solarium...and the restaurants! :)

If you go with Allure, my BIGGEST, MOST IMPORTANT TIP I could offer - if you disregarded EVERY single other tip I've posted - is to book an Oceanview Balcony Room.

Because...there were definitely times when I forgot I was on a ship, and that saddened me...not enough to never sail on the Oasis class again, but enough to book a room with a view of the ocean. It was an effort to find the ocean sometimes with my little interior cabin.

However, if "being on a ship" isn't important to you - and I recognize that it isn't to everyone - than ignore my BIGGEST tip and just use another one of my tips, hee hee.

i've cruised three times - (twice on the disney wonder and once on the disney dream) and all three times i HAD to have a balcony...

for me the highlight of the cruise was just sitting out on the balcony staring at the water....go figure....i haven't a clue why i like that so much but the first time i sat out there on our first cruise i finally understood the draw of owning a yacht... (anyone with a yacht want to adopt me?)..

Bow & Stern

BowampSternSign_zpsa7926fd7.jpg

For something really cool, be sure to be in front of this for certain Promenade events – such as 70’s night – and watch that globe above Bow & Stern…that’s all I’m going to say….!

For those who like a “pub”, then this is your place…an English pub decorated in dark wood and comfortable seating. Besides a wide selection of International brews, there’s the usual wine, cocktails and liquor.

BowampSternInside_zps9755fe31.jpg

This is a quieter pub, with some entertainment including Dixieland Jazz music by the Allure of the Seas Orchestra, as well as “pub” entertainment with James Brown.

There was a Veterans get-together on Day 2 at 4:30 pm…just an FYI.

BowampStern2_zpscc92c1f2.jpg

-----------------------------

On Air Club

7OnAir_zpsc276dab9.jpg

Outside the club....

This is officially listed as the “sports and karaoke bar” – but it’s a lot more than that. First, though, the sports – we were able to watch the NFL playoff games here – and there were numerous NBA games being shown during the week, as well.

1OnAir_zps8d5248ae.jpg

Note that there are TV screens both inside AND outside the club...so you can enjoy sports events sitting in the Promenade, especially if the inside of the club gets too crowded.

As far as karaoke, check the Cruise Compass for various events that included “Adult” karaoke, as well as “Family” karaoke.

However…this venue offers a TON more activities than just sports and karaoke…such as trivia contests, seminars (Diamonds & Gemstones, anyone?), Nintendo Wii Sports competitions, the Flip Video Camera Scavenger Hunt (Day 6 @ 1:45 pm), and demonstrations on Napkin Artistry and Towel Folding.

2OnAir_zpsb8cab166.jpg

For families, check out the Family Disco or the Family Feud Quiz in the Cruise Compass.

I'm going to post a few more pics of the On Air Club in my next post...so stay tuned!

On Air Club (cont)

As I said, just a few more photos of the Sports & Karaoke Bar, On Air Club:

3OnAir_zps80c7daa8.jpg

There's your Karaoke stage....

4OnAir_original_zps142b0e47.jpg

The bar....

5OnAir_zps5ce7f333.jpg

Some of the seating options inside the club....

6OnAir_zpsef94e1e6.jpg

The lights up on the ceiling...aren't they cool??!!

Wait. WHAT is the deal with the LIGHTS??!! I must have an obsession with the lights...I just realized I've taken photos of the lights in the Champagne Club, Boleros and now On-Air...just like my Klingons' obsession with pigeons in Europe, I seem to have an obsession with lighting fixtures...geesh!!!

Misc Promenade Events & Such

Before I delve into the shopping (Yay! Shopping!! Woot!), I thought I'd finish up a bit with some miscellaneous information about the Royal Promenade.

First, the artwork...be sure to be on the lookout for various whimsical statues, such as the curious dog (sorry, no photo), or the curious Klingon:

Klingon_zpsc065c75c.jpg

There are also several kiosks to assist you onboard, including various ATM machines, as well as a kiosk that you can log into and pull up your schedule/Seapass information:

ATM_zpsd4ed9346.jpg

Money, money, money....

Express_zps3488cead.jpg

Use this to access your schedule, your Seapass account information, etc...this saved a trip back to your cabin if you were curious about something....

There were TONS of other events happening in the Promenade, including:

1. The Captain's Welcome Speech (Day 2 @ 8:10 pm) This was formal night, so you could get your photo taken with the Captain and then hear his speech.

2. Various DreamWorks appearances for photo opportunities

Penguins_zpsfdcbe4c9.jpg

PENGUINS!!! I LOVE the Penguins from "Madagascar"!!!

3. LOTS of free dance classes, including Party Line, Flash Mob, Beyonce, Variety Line, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, and 70's Line Dance lessons. (I hated these - only because it would really clog up the space, making it difficult to maneuver around the dancers...but it was fun to watch!)

LightsDisco_zps3cd6ef1e.jpg

With credit to Steve and Amy...this incredible picture shows how they can have fun with the lights along the Promenade...GAH! More LIGHT photos! I can say, though, that apparently it wasn't just ME who took photos of the lights!!!

4. Various parades, including the DreamWorks "Move It" parade, and the Adventure Ocean Pirates Parade.

5. Various "street" parties, including the Latin Street Party and the 70's Disco Inferno Street Party (Day 6 @ 10:15 pm)

Now...on to the shopping...!!!

28 pages and we're still not even finished the ship tour... I really think that you and Gambee should go on a cruise in say.... November/December this year and between the 2 of you the rest of CC could have our whole winter's entertainment with:

"Gambee and Middle Aged Drama Queen's most EPIC Review and Complete Pictorial Guide of ______________________"

:D

There ARE actually REAL birds on occasion. One truly ruined our lunch as we were eating outside in Central Park.

OMG, that shouldn't be funny, but it IS!

Thank you for mentioning that...about being able to book the class online before sailing...I wouldn't know, as when you book only four days before sailing, you can't do a DARNED thing online!!! (Well - I could print my SetSail pass - that was about it!) :D

Sherri, after being on the Oasis in 2011 and Allure 2012, I am finding your review so very interesting that there is so much I still missed on this class ship. And not for lack of trying. Thank you again...if you need any pictures let me know, I have a lot of pictures of the shows...dont worry, no flash used! lol

Hey - I missed a lot, and not for lack of trying, either! I think it's next to impossible to do it all/see it all on a ship this size - and they KNOW this, and entice you to come back for further sailings!

The shows are where I don't have a lot of photos, actually, because...I...um... didn't make it to a lot of the shows. There. I said it. Long stories, that I'll get into later...but I only made it to half the shows onboard. (I think I was too busy eating cupcakes!)

Sherri, Is there a charge or the cupcake decorating class? If so, do you remember the cost? Also, the regular coffee and tea in the Promenade Cafe is still free, isn't it? I, too, LOVE the Promenade Cafe !

I see that Amy answered the charge for the Cupcake class - $22. And you get to keep the cupcake. :D

I should have clarified that the SPECIALTY coffees and teas have a charge in the Cafe Promenade, but you are correct in that the REGULAR coffee/tea is still free. Thank you for pointing that out! :)

GREAT review Sherri :) you really have a way with your writing that keeps people wanting more.....

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to keep us all informed.

Thank you! I'm trying to post as much as I can when I get an opportunity - and I am thankful for everyone's patience as we slog through this. :)

i've cruised three times - (twice on the disney wonder and once on the disney dream) and all three times i HAD to have a balcony...for me the highlight of the cruise was just sitting out on the balcony staring at the water....

Here's my tip for you: don't wait until four days before cruising to book your cabin, as there's practically no way you'll get a balcony! :rolleyes: