Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

DW and I will be on the Allure in early April and am loving your EPIC review. I read your Med review and am currently re-reading the Freedom OTS review to try to convince DW that we should go on it in October for her major birthday milestone. I know its not proper to say which number.

Your photo for us in New England watching the snow fall is very nice. I am lucky enough to be north of the worst of the storm, but we are still getting a sizable amount. Your review is making the weather more bearable (by being able to ignore it.) :)

You need DW to read the Freedom review - that should convince her!!!

I'm glad you're weathering the weather... ;) Stay safe!

And now…the highlight of the Boardwalk…undoubtedly, for both adults and Klingons alike…is the Carousel.

Carousel_zpsa01419ee.jpg

It’s fun. It’s fabulous. And it’s free. FREE!

And there’s no age-limit…so all of us who are young-at-heart can enjoy this little delight. (Like, me, for instance)

Eleven horsies…as well as a zebra, tiger, bear, leopard, and a frong prince…and one…bench seat thingy…in case you don't want to ride astride...go round and round in a whirlwind of color….

Color_zpsaf826703.jpg

This was an “oops” picture from my iPhone…that I took while riding the carousel…but I kinda’ like the effect, so I’m keeping it. It’s Salvador Dali-ish, I think....!

Look for the RCI horse:

RCIHorse_zps291d10c3.jpg

Hours are posted by the Carousel that will tell you when it is open:

Hours_zps7829d8ff.jpg

On sea days, it would usually open up by 10:00 am…and on port days, it would open at 5:00 pm…and would stay open until 10:00 pm.

Sherri, I am loving your review. It is the first thing I look for when getting on CC.

I do have one question, if you only went to one specialty restaurant which one would you pick? We are looking at Samba grill because we have a Brazilian steak house here that sounds kind of the same and it is one of our favorites, or Chops. We have been to Chops already on a different ship and really enjoyed it very much. Our FSIL that is traveling with us is a very big eater, he plays football so he needs a lot of food. I know he will get plenty of that on a cruise.;)

Thanks for your opinion on which one you liked better.

Cindy

What I enjoyed were the series of wood carvings as you entered the Boardwalk, that convey the progression of how the carousel figurines are carved:

Carving1_zps091ccb41.jpg

Carving2_zps2c88cc75.jpg

Almost done with the finished product:

Carving4_zps0ba4f41e.jpg

And the finished product:

Carving3_zpsadd79d7c.jpg

Cool, huh??!!

OH - one more thing...we forgot Zoltar, the speaking Fortune Teller...who's a little bit creepy (his eyes - I swear - they would follow me!) - but a whole lot of fun....

Zoltar_zps307b8669.jpg

For a whole dollar (just swipe your Seapass), you'll not only get your fortune, but you'll get a little Fortune card that pops out. Don't forget the card.

I almost forgot the card, as I didn't know it had printed (in the photo above, the card prints out in the lower left of the machine) However, three little Brazilian Klingons - who had been watching me and Zoltar intently - and spoke little English, and I didn't speak a word of Portuguese - gestured to me that I needed to take my card, so with an "Obrigado" (oh, snap! I guess I spoke ONE word of Portuguese!) - I was in proud possession of my very own Zoltar Fortune Card.

Hey. It was a souvenir. And it was cheap. ;)

And now...a break in our regularly-scheduled broadcast...

...for all of you dealing with the blizzard...and snow...and are dreaming of sand and sun and blue water:

StMaarten_zpsfaafd32e.jpg

That was where I was at in St. Maarten...just a few weeks ago....sigh.

I'm not known for my amazing photography skills, but I am pretty darned proud of that photo. ;)

Now that's what I'm talking about!:D:D Thanks for such a nice picture (and from my favourite island, so far.) I think I feel my toes thawing...

Sherri, I am loving your review. It is the first thing I look for when getting on CC.

I do have one question, if you only went to one specialty restaurant which one would you pick? We are looking at Samba grill because we have a Brazilian steak house here that sounds kind of the same and it is one of our favorites, or Chops. We have been to Chops already on a different ship and really enjoyed it very much. Our FSIL that is traveling with us is a very big eater, he plays football so he needs a lot of food. I know he will get plenty of that on a cruise.;)

Thanks for your opinion on which one you liked better.

Cindy

Hmmm...tough question...because I liked them ALL! ;)

If you say that your FSIL needs a lot of food, I would steer you towards Samba's Grill. The food just kept coming and coming and coming, on those sticks...we all had to throw in our white napkins as a white flag of surrender, and say, "Enough!!!" It was delicious!

Besides the meat-on-a-stick, there's a delicious salad bar, and the dessert was tasty, as well....

The night we dined at Samba's Grill, Captain Johnny (our ship captain) was dining there at a table right by us with several other officers...that was cool.

Hi, can you get corn dogs on the boardwalk? Oasis has them at the Boardwalk Bar and we were wondering if Allure has them there as well. Great review! Thanks for all the valuable info.

You stumped me. :p

I have no idea...hopefully, other readers will have this information... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I have to leave for my appointment this afternoon...I hope to get back and post a bit before Hubby and I head out tonight to watch "Hair." :D

If not, I should be back tomorrow...just have a few errands to run, but I'll be back...I promise!!!

Unfortunately, I have to leave for my appointment this afternoon...I hope to get back and post a bit before Hubby and I head out tonight to watch "Hair." :D

If not, I should be back tomorrow...just have a few errands to run, but I'll be back...I promise!!!

Have a good time at the play. My husband saw the original in New York back in the 70's, I believe. He went without me.:( That was mean.........:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

Hi, can you get corn dogs on the boardwalk? Oasis has them at the Boardwalk Bar and we were wondering if Allure has them there as well. Great review! Thanks for all the valuable info.

Sorry, no corn dogs on Allure. :( I would have sniffed them out for sure!

Hi Sherri,

I have just spent the past 2 days reading all your reviews under your Signature and all I can say is WOW!:eek:

They all felt as if I was there, doing a Med cruise is on the Bucket list and I am currently trying to convince the Cruise Buddies to do a Caribbean cruise and I hope to show them your review in 2 weeks when we embark on Radiance for our Annual Cruise this time "over the ditch" to New Zealand.

I LOVE the idea of Freestyle coke machines that you all have over there they haven't reached the ships 'Down Under' yet but I hope they will be here next year if they are doing them fleetwide by the end of this year!

I love Cherry Coke and Mello Yello but here in Oz they just don't seem to get that there are MANY other flavours around to try and I too am a lover of Diet Dr Pepper! and it's not a brand sold in Oz :(

I do have one request if you happen to have a photo of your Cabin Crawl on your Med Cruise of a Connecting Cabin (with balcony if possible), we have one this trip and I have trawled CC trying to find one but can't seem to.

I didn't know that Rita's Cantina had a 2 hr feast that you could book will have to look into that this trip as we loved the food and the Margarita's!

I look forward to reading the rest of this great review and learning more about Allure.

Does the Allure have the Wipeout Cafe near the flowrider? I had a delicious pretzel dog (similar to a corn dog) from there when I was on the Oasis.

Yes, Wipeout Cafe is in the same place on Allure.

I am hunkered down here in Ma. during the blizzard, and re-reading (yes-re-reading) your review has made the horrible weather outside a little more tolerable.

Can't wait to read your specialty dining reviews! My husband is still asking me if I know what I'm doing when I tell him I've given up our MDR table assignment.

Amazing review! Thank you so much for posting this. I've been trying to convince my husband to agree to a cruise on AotS, and now I'm convinced that I'd have a great time even without him. ;)

I'm looking forward to the rest of your review!