Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Sherri, you are more than welcomed to come crash my cruise wedding on May 12. I am having 25 guest and 4 people in our wedding party. Do you think the chapel is REALLY small or will everyone be comfortable? Any more pics of the chapel?

Loving your review, thanks for sharing!

I don't want to be rude to Sherri 'cos I love her reviews.....her pictures are not of the actual chapel, they are of the door that leads into the ante-room....My sister had 6 in the wedding party and over 50 guests with room to spare (on Oasis). Allure's chapel is larger.........you will love it. I am assuming you've booked/planned thru the RCCL wedding planner? If so, ask for pictures of the chapel....you can also decide how to have the seating, "alter" arrangements because it's very interchangeable.

This is your day.....get more info, set your mind at ease. Don't know how far away from the port you are but you will be able to check it all out weeks/months before if you talk to your wedding planner.

Sorry, Sherri......:o:):o

Oh, yay! I'm glad someone could set me straight...I'm glad it was bigger. I should have gone through the doors! Drat!

Yep, you'd have blown away!!!! The wedding couple can choose how/where they want the alter/flowers and how they want the chairs arranged. At the other end of the hallway from the chapel, behind those same glass doors, is a cozy room set up with the cake, buffet, apps, circulating waiters with whatever the bride and groom have decided will be "supped"!!! My sister's whole ceremony and reception was 3 hours, then we went to muster (yep, in our wedding clothes), hit the Pub (we are English) then Phil and I hosted a wedding dinner in Chops. Fun, fun!!!!!

Lynda

In Quadrant #2, which is in the upper right of the ship (Bow, Starboard), we find the delightful Beach Pool.

BeachPool3_zps083b9f48.jpg

Oh, I love the beach. I love everything about the beach (except for the sand, especially when it gets in your hair and your swimsuit and it gets all scratchy and itchy…but I digress. However...upon further reflection...it's probably the SAND that defines the beach...so I'm not sure how I can love the beach without loving the sand. Hmmm...a mystery, to be sure.)

Anyway. I LOVED the Beach Pool…and the only reason I can really think of, is perhaps I loved the little tables with umbrellas. Since I love all things umbrella-y on a cruise – and most especially if they’re made of paper and in a foo-foo drink – the umbrellas here at the Beach Pool just tickled me to no end. I also probably loved the Beach Pool because there was NO SAND.

I also loved the Beach Pool area because of the loungers. I don't like the blue-stripey loungers, as I don't find them comfortable at all...and I always seem to slip through the cracks on the blue ones. But the Beach Pool loungers didn't have any cracks to slip through...I could easily settle in for a nice afternoon snooze here!

The decking around the Beach Pool slopes, and there's shallow water around the decking...it was awesome to pull your deck chair into the shallow water and create your own little island. Just be careful to not accidentally drop your Kindle or iPhone into the water surrounding your little island; I'm just sayin'.

BeachPool4_zps4f6c1f87.jpg

How does one take a picture of "slope?" Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

BeachPool_zps4bb10f92.jpg

This was taken on Embarkation Day...at about 1:00 pm...already a popular place! Notice no one else likes those blue-stripey loungers with the cracks, either!

There's also a hot tub or two in the Beach Pool area:

AllurePoolBeachPool_zps8b91263e.jpg

They have the ubiquitous sign posted warning against the Chair Hogs...but honestly...there are so many loungers onboard the ship, that it was never a problem to find a place to park for the day. So...I honestly can't say whether this was "enforced" or not.

PoolRules_zps3d63add2.jpg

Pool towels could be had at several stations along Deck 15...just present your Seapass and tell them how many towels you'll need. When you turn your towel back in, they'll scan your Seapass card. I would normally go in the evening to get my towel for the next day - as it was less busy that way, and less of a line.

And for the Beach Pool rules:

BeachPool5_zps3e3a9446.jpg

If I wasn't in the Solarium, you could find me at the Beach Pool...I would put the Beach Pool definitely in my Top 10 of Favorite Places on the Allure - which will be summarized towards the end of this review, as I know you are all waiting with baited breath.

Now - on to the other pools! More to come on Deck 15!

Woot! A blog follower! (Sorry it's been neglected...life got in the way!) I can't wait for YOUR impressions of the Oasis after your sailing! Hint Hint. ;) Thanks, Bard!

OH NO - the pressure - I couldn't come close to writing such an amazing review that you and so many others do here... :eek::o Love your sense of humor - you just crack me up!!!

Yea - I love your blog, Sherri - brings a smile to my face each and every time I check in to see what you are up to next.

Barb

I don't want to be rude to Sherri 'cos I love her reviews.....her pictures are not of the actual chapel, they are of the door that leads into the ante-room....My sister had 6 in the wedding party and over 50 guests with room to spare (on Oasis). Allure's chapel is larger.........you will love it. I am assuming you've booked/planned thru the RCCL wedding planner? If so, ask for pictures of the chapel....you can also decide how to have the seating, "alter" arrangements because it's very interchangeable.

This is your day.....get more info, set your mind at ease. Don't know how far away from the port you are but you will be able to check it all out weeks/months before if you talk to your wedding planner.

Sorry, Sherri......:o:):o

No, it's not rude - we need to make sure people have the correct information! Now I will know to go through the doors!!! :)

I hate the waiting :)

Ack.

Sorry! I have over 1,000 pictures - so trying to weed through the photos - to match up with my words - besides doing the laundry and taking out the trash and defrosting dinner - I'm hurrying, I promise!

Think of it as a serial story in the newspaper...waiting makes you stronger. ;)

I'm only here for two reasons.

1. I can't wait to back on Allure and I'm reading every review posted on her since I rebooked her for this spring.

2. I enjoyed the OP's Med cruise immensely. I'm sure its going to be a great read. Perhaps others weren't but I was intrigued by how she did get on it sans family.

3. ok ,I thought of a 3rd reason. I am actually already planning my next review and I'm keeping in mind things I like and don't like. I've also thought of two things I don't think have been in any review and I'm just checking to make sure they aren't in this one

You forgot #4, Bill! You are EVERYWHERE:p;):D I read reviews of trips I may never go on, especially when they are as fun and funny as Sherry's so why wouldn't you?:D

I'm glad you got a picture of my horrible zipline landing! Sigh. it didn't hurt, but was horribly awkward. In my defense I was given NO instructions whatsoever, other than "Do you see the landing area?"

Edited by Steppy08

In the very front of the ship, we have the SOLARIUM.

And I capitalized that on purpose. The SOLARIUM. Because, frankly…WOW! I have been in solariums on the Radiance class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade), as well as the solarium on the Freedom…but nothing – NOTHING – prepared me for the grandeur and beauty of the SOLARIUM on the Allure. It blew me out of the water.

I'm looking forward to this part of the ship more than anything. Loved the enclosed solarium on the Serenade, Freedom's was good to.

Question - did there seem to be enough seats that were in full sun? I actually like sitting out for hours in the sun in the middle of summer.

The decking around the Beach Pool slopes, and there's shallow water around the decking...it was awesome to pull your deck chair into the shallow water and create your own little island. Just be careful to not accidentally drop your Kindle or iPhone into the water surrounding your little island; I'm just sayin'.

Did you find out first hand not to drop your kindle into the Sports pool? I found a waterproof kindle case on Amazon for my Kindle Touch, its great, I was reading while in the pool all last cruise. Had a bunch of people asking about it - totally worth the small amount of hassle it is to put the kindle in and seal the case (it uses basically a heavy duty ziploc seal, with a couple folds thrown in for extra protection.)

Hi Just wanted to how much I am enjoying your review - we arn't even going on that ship !! we are doing the Liberty but still love your pictures and writing, you are bringing cruising alive again for us during our cold cold UK winter, the weather man has just told us snow tomorrow Again ! aghh. Keep the sunny pictures coming please

regards sue x

I just can't wait until I finish reading all the current threads, but have to jump in to tell you how excited I am to have another of your EPIC reviews to read!! I read that you had sailed, so I've been looking forward to this.

No mention of your broken foot so far, so I'm guessing it's healed (or is that "heeled")?

Woot! A friend in high places!! The CLS! See...I would be so tempted, just to see beyond those locked doors! I hope you post photos. Hint Hint. ;) Thanks, Ty!

I most definitely will. Couldn't pass it up when it showed up as only $50 more total than what we were already paying for a GS.

I'm also a person who has zero sense of direction, so I can't wait to see how many times I get lost on the ship.

Edited by tyry

Thanks, MADQ!!

I am so glad to see another review of yours!

I read every page of your excellent review on your European cruise with the Klingons and DH.

You are wonderful, and I am glued to my computer screen!!

As far as I am concerned, you are right up there with Radio and Trainman, I am a big fan!!

Because the door is locked. I’m sure it’s to keep the riff-raff – such as yours truly – out.

Drat.

I’ve really got to start cultivating friends who sail in the Loft suites so that I can sneak a peek.

for the first time ever, my roll call is supposed to have a cabin crawl and I think we have a Loft suite on the list, so stay tuned for another 90 days or so.

Making our way to the back of the ship…and because lounging at the pool can work up such a thirst, the Allure of the Seas offers not just one, but TWO bars in the middle of Deck 15…one on port, one on starboard.

The one next to the Beach Pool is appropriately named, “Sand Bar.” And for some unfortunate reason, I neglected to take a photo of it…which saddens me, as it was really the MOST coolest, MOST awesomest, Beach Bar I’ve ever seen!

I’m kidding. It was a bar. It looked just like all the other bars on the pool decks of the Allure – albeit with a different name.

Something like this:

PoolBar_original_zpse3390553.jpg

The 2nd bar on Deck 15...

Only instead of the AWESOME name of “Pool Bar” – it said “Sand Bar”. (And “Pool Bar”? Really??? Come on, RCI – you can do better than that…where is your imagination?? Whomever does your naming needs to be canned…because between this and the inappropriately named “Pinnacle Lounge” - which is NOT the Lounge for Pinnacle C&A members - I am seriously disappointed in the names.... Maybe the imaginative decorator – who brings in those lovely pillows-that-are-really-rocks - would be better at naming things. Better yet – hire ME!!! I'd call it the Wet & Sweat Bar!!!)

Okay. Off my soapbox. I digress. I do that a lot.

Moving on, in-between the two bars…we have this little area that the live bands set up to play funky and cool Caribbean music:

SkyBridge_zps810a5102.jpg

Oh, sure - it LOOKS innocent...but looks are deceiving...

The music was enjoyable...it was lively…but it was LOUD. (Or I'm getting old. Wait. Don't comment on that.) Perhaps it has to be LOUD in order for four pools to be able to hear it. When the ship was docked in St. Thomas, the band was playing in the late afternoon. I went up to the Pool Deck to call Dear Hubby (since I was “back” in United States phone zones – yay - and it wouldn't cost me a small fortune for phone service), and I couldn’t hear a word he was saying on the phone. I couldn’t call him from my cabin, as it seemed to be a tomb and didn’t get phone service. Anyway – just a warning…again – for those Central Park Balcony cabins on the upper floors. You will most likely get serenaded a LOT with Caribbean music.

So…

On the port side of the ship, in Quadrant #3, we have the Sports Pool…for all things sportsy. I knew it was the Sportsy Pool because of the little sportsy people painted on the pool deck. Yeah, I'm smart like that - no getting things past me.

PoolSportsPool_zps35f59289.jpg

(And look across the way to see the Kids Pool, because that's about the best picture I have of it - sorry!)

Look for water aerobics in the mornings (usually around 9:00 am), and water volleyball in the afternoon….

SportsPool1_zpsa5844d1c.jpg

I think that's a volleyball player painted on the pool deck...right?

Our Cruise in Review showed a mean game of adult volleyball being played - but honestly, every time I went up to watch/play - it was dead. Either that was stock footage they spliced in to make it LOOK like we were having fun on our cruise - or else the games were mysteriously breaking up before I showed up (hopefully, not on purpose). Yup - you can see how "lively" it is in that photo I took above....

Oh...all this talk of liquid refreshments and wet pools...let me show you the creative signage on the restrooms:

PoolRestroom_zps5c99fe23.jpg

Restroom2_zpsf7be1b44.jpg

They can get THIS creative with their restrooms, but they name the pool bar "Pool Bar"???

Sigh.

Thank you! Lucky you - one planned in March...can I go along?? As you can see, I'm not shy in inviting myself along....

Absolutely! I'd love to cruise with you! March 10th Indy, it is only a 6 day you can swing that :) I kept myself away from the review until this afternoon - it was my after work treat!

This is a test. I just made up my mind on Friday that I was going to cancel my Allure cruise for March 2014, but I am sure your review is going to have me rethinking things. I better hold off cancelling.

I know everyone says it never feels crowded, but how can that be?

Having been on Allure once, I can say as empty nesters we were very good at avoiding crowded places and I'm sure as a solo cruiser MADQ could as well. We also didn't do the parades/ character interactions. It can be done along with knowing how to route yourself around congested areas.

i just found your review - i've only read the first post but as they say, you had me at "i'm here to tell you"...

i'm signing on now so that i don't miss anything!! :)

Yay - I'm glad you found me! In between posts on this review, you can always read my other EPIC REVIEWS that are below. Hee hee.

You are reminding me of my first and only solo (so far!!!)cruise on Freedom OTS that I did the January before I flew over here to start my new job. I didn't know anyone getting on the ship, knew I could hang out in Vintages or the Diamond Lounge.....fellow wino's are happy people! Every night was fun, every night! To sit in those places "SOLO" wasn't how I felt!!!

Sorry to hijack, I am loving this and all of your previous "Middle Aged Drama Queen" reviews..........we might be related!!!

Thanks for this, it's fun to read when it's cold as h e double tooth picks right now!!!!:)

You're welcome! I'm glad you're a fellow MADQ - we should start a club! And I like your attitude - you would be fun to cruise with...wino's...hee hee...! :)

Subscribing, I loved your European review.

Aw, thank you! Wasn't our European adventures a hoot? I swear, if they made a movie, it would rank up there with Chevy Chase's "European Vacation." :)

I loved your Med review, gave me a lot of ideas for our cruise in Sept 2013.

Have read all your reviews and am now a follower of your blog, just great.

Judy

Thanks, Judy - I appreciate it! I'm glad I gave out some good advice, in between all of the "what were we thinking??!!" moments! :)