Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Subscribing - As another MADQ who swore Allure/Oasis are too big, too crowded and too Klingon friendly ;), I look forward to your experience. I hope my big question of "Does it feel like a cruise ship or just some giant resort?" gets covered. :D Sounds like you had fun but then, I have a strong suspicion you make fun wherever you go! Nice to see another review from you.

Good question - and I hope to answer that. If I forget - kick me - and I will remember! I think there's a very important key that will make all the difference in the world, and I hope to mention what that very important key is. ;)

I do try to have fun wherever I go...life's too short to do anything otherwise. Every now and then I may roll my eyes - at the absurdity of the situation - or the stupidity of the situation - but I won't get mad....I'll just laugh and make a note so I can remember to write about it later with the appropriate amount of snark. :p

Thanks for reading...and commenting!

EPIC WRITERS writing EPIC REVIEWS love comments.

Hint Hint. :D

I'm just in love with your review. My husband and I are thinking about taking a cruise on the Allure next year for our 10yr wedding anniversary. I think this review just put the nail in the coffin! :D:p

Definitely subscribing! This would be our 1st Royal cruise.

KrystalWaters:D

Yay - a Royal Virgin! (Wait - that doesn't sound right...)

Welcome! And I'm so glad you've decided to go big...you won't regret it. ;)

Deck 12 will be really easy to write about.

The only public area on Deck 12 is super secret - but an area that ANYONE and EVERYONE who is looking to escape the crowds - should know about.

Especially ANYONE and EVERYONE who booked an inside room - like me - who doesn't have a balcony.

Because...actually we DO have a balcony.

Yup. All of us who think we're relegated to a womb-and-a-tomb (which is what I called my ROOM - an interior cabin), we don't have to live like a vampire...we have a BALCONY! Woot! Sunshine! Loungers! Privacy!

However...I intend to write about our super-secret balcony when I write about Deck 11 - which is the super-secret balcony that I utilized.

Which won't be until I take 13-year old Daughter to violin lessons and have dinner...darn that LIFE gets in the way when you're trying to write an EPIC REVIEW. Sigh.

So...stay tuned...

I'll be back. :p

Which won't be until I take 13-year old Daughter to violin lessons and have dinner...darn that LIFE gets in the way when you're trying to write an EPIC REVIEW. Sigh.

I'll be back. :p

I may be in the minority but Mikayla's violin lesson is more important than this review! ;)

The next time we get together she and I should jam.... insofar as two classically trained violinists can jam. :D

I love your review of the Allure as a solo traveler. At first I thought you were climbing the gangplank to some large resort but then it all sunk in that you were going on a cruise.

I have taken my first cruise last April with my Father on the Serenade from San Juan-Rome and will be on the Navigator from New Orleans-Rome in a few weeks.

I had to get my Father addicted to cruising and I'm 27 not like most parents who get their kids addicted to cruising.

I think I'm going to propose that my Father book us on the Allure with my Mother who has only cruised one to Alaska.

What do we have to lose? I could get my Brother on his first cruise when I show him what the Allure is.

Its much better than an All Inclusive Resort.

Cruising is one of the best ways to relax and unwind while seeing new ports which would be hard to get to flying. I picked the Navigator itinerary because there are plenty of sea days mixed with three ports before arriving in Rome where we stay for a week.

Call me an oddball for reserving a Trans Atlantic as my first cruise. 5 nights is too short 7 nights is still too short 10 nights good but still short 14 or 15 nights perfect. Its like a Back 2 Back cruise with nightly entertainment and good food and fun.

You don't know how excited I was when I went on the Serenade it was so much fun and I loved the Solarium and not having to walk to get a sandwich while enjoying the sun and warm weather as we crossed the Atlantic.

If you can help me promote going on a mega ship to my Parents please help me. Or I may do this solo because I love meeting new people and enjoy partying till 2 AM.

I was never bored on my last cruise there was so much to do. The cruise compass was my friend and I had a notebook where I jotted down what activities I wanted to attend. If you don't look at your cruise compass then you won't enjoy your cruise. I don't like the reviews when people say I'm bored come on people they overplan for a reason so you will never be bored.

I had so much to do onboard that there were two activities that I wanted to attend at the same time and I had to make tough decisions.

I can't wait to stroll down the Royal Promenade and eat in the Cafe Promenade or get some good larger at Two Poets.

The reason why I chose the Navigator was because it had a lot of the same features of the Serenade and more and then from here I would look at taking the Oasis or Allure.

If I could get the Royal Grand Suite for myself I wonder if RCCL would let me do that? I would love a huge suite just for me so I can invite and entertain Cruise Critic Members. If someone asked what you want for your birthday I would say just send me cash(:

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to reading more about your last minute cruise and future reviews.

Hi Sherri,

Just scanning the boards tonight and much to my surprise I find another entertaining review. :)

I have just starting reading it. This review is just as entertaining as the ones you did of Serenade and Freedom.

We have not booked another cruise yet. We are planning to go to Alaska in June 2014 on the Radiance. I am planning the land portion myself. We are going to do one week on land and one week on the ship.

Ken is in Argentina trekking up Aconcagua. I will be meeting him in Mendoza on the 23rd. Tell Mike we will be thinking of him while we are wine tasting. I have a private 3 day Wine Camp tour set up. Love those Malbecs!

Is Mike and the kids joining you on the Oasis in July?

Take Care!

Edited by Cat54

Hi Sherri,

Just scanning the boards tonight and much to my surprise I find another entertaining review. :)

I have just starting reading it. This review is just as entertaining as the ones you did of Serenade and Freedom.

We have not booked another cruise yet. We are planning to go to Alaska in June 2014 on the Radiance. I am planning the land portion myself. We are going to do one week on land and one week on the ship.

Ken is in Argentina trekking up Aconcagua. I will be meeting him in Mendoza on the 23rd. Tell Mike we will be thinking of him while we are wine tasting. I have a private 3 day Wine Camp tour set up. Love those Malbecs!

Take Care!

Cathy!!! Hello! Hope you and Ken are doing well!

Cathy!!! Hello! Hope you and Ken are doing well!

We are doing great...at least I am. Ken has begun his climb up Aconcagua - 22,841 ft. A little nuts if you ask me but he does love climbing. I haven't heard from him since yesterday. I am following a blog where they try to check in nightly.

How are you and Steve doing? Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. Have you planned another yet?

Still not sure about those mega ships. We have been in port with the Allure and one of the big Disney ships were docked. Way too many people for me.:eek: Maybe Sherri's review will change my mind..

Edited by Cat54

I may be in the minority but Mikayla's violin lesson is more important than this review! ;)

The next time we get together she and I should jam.... insofar as two classically trained violinists can jam. :D

Yes, Ms. Violin Teacher. :)

We've been lessoned...and we'e been fed. Life is good. I keep telling her to Facebook you and let you know how she's doing with her lessons...!

I think I'm going to propose that my Father book us on the Allure with my Mother who has only cruised one to Alaska.

What do we have to lose? I could get my Brother on his first cruise when I show him what the Allure is.

Its much better than an All Inclusive Resort.

If you can help me promote going on a mega ship to my Parents please help me. Or I may do this solo because I love meeting new people and enjoy partying till 2 AM.

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to reading more about your last minute cruise and future reviews.

Thanks for joining in - you sound like you have all the information you need to get your parents onboard a mega ship; I don't think you need any help from me! ;)

I hope you have fun on your upcoming cruise - it sounds like you're a lot like me; we'll never be bored. :)

Hi Sherri,

A question unrelated to this cruise. What was the name of the Clark sandals that you wore on the Serenade?

I am looking for some comfortable shoes for Mendoza.

CATHY!!!

For anyone new to my reviews, this lady and her husband, Ken, were on our cruise this summer to Europe...and my kids pretty much fell in love with them, as we did!

It's funny you would mention the Alaskan cruise in 2014...a bunch of us on Facebook - from the Serenade cruise - are talking of doing a Reunion cruise in the summer of 2014 - to Alaska. Have you booked yet? I'd love to find out what you're doing - as we need to start looking into it.

Yup, Mike and Mickey are going...don't know about the boys, as they both have jobs now and need to work to pay for college. We're hoping Mike can handle the waves - he has issues with that.

My shoes were Privos...by Clark. I know you can still get them online, as my aunt just bought a pair last week, at my suggestion...although they're only available in black now; I had bronze.

Good luck to Ken on his climb - we MISS you! The Klingons all say hello!!!!!

We are doing great...at least I am. Ken has begun his climb up Aconcagua - 22,841 ft. A little nuts if you ask me but he does love climbing. I haven't heard from him since yesterday. I am following a blog where they try to check in nightly.

How are you and Steve doing? Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. Have you planned another yet?

Still not sure about those mega ships. We have been in port with the Allure and one of the big Disney ships were docked. Way too many people for me.:eek: Maybe Sherri's review will change my mind..

I said the same thing about the mega ships, but I would go again in a heartbeat. And just stay on the ship. Just not in January or July. But I'll let Sherri explain why in her review.

Funny you should ask about future cruises.... We JUST booked Alaska for this June on Holland America. And by just I mean about 30 minutes ago.

We’re now down to Deck 11 on our tour of the ship…

First, there’s the Concierge Lounge – but I wasn’t invited. So I didn’t go. Wah. (That’s the sound of a little pout because I couldn’t go in to the CL…so no photos.)

Then…there’s the Library.

I was actually surprised at the generous size of the library…after being on the smaller Serenade, where the library is rather skimpy – I was impressed by what the Allure had to offer.

The Library has some really comfortable chairs…and books (duh) where you can sit and lose yourself…

Library4_zps9212df77.jpg

There’s a color-coding system that will help you find a style of book that you’re interested in (and I apologize for the blurry photo):

Library5_zps52826929.jpg

Checking out the book is on the honor system…just sign the notebook, and you’re good to go:

Library2_zps5dc943c8.jpg

When returning the book, drop it into the bin:

Library3_zpsf4638ee5.jpg

Voila! Easy, peasy!

So…mark this down on your list of secret, quiet places to visit…as it was always empty and quiet when I visited it. And it HAS to be quiet by its very definition – it’s a LIBRARY!

Both the Library and the Concierge Club are towards the back end of the ship – close to the aft elevators…

…we’re now going to head up to the very, very front of the ship for one of my Top 10 Places to Visit on the Allure – and it’s somewhat of a secret…

CATHY!!!

For anyone new to my reviews, this lady and her husband, Ken, were on our cruise this summer to Europe...and my kids pretty much fell in love with them, as we did!

It's funny you would mention the Alaskan cruise in 2014...a bunch of us on Facebook - from the Serenade cruise - are talking of doing a Reunion cruise in the summer of 2014 - to Alaska. Have you booked yet? I'd love to find out what you're doing - as we need to start looking into it.

Yup, Mike and Mickey are going...don't know about the boys, as they both have jobs now and need to work to pay for college. We're hoping Mike can handle the waves - he has issues with that.

My shoes were Privos...by Clark. I know you can still get them online, as my aunt just bought a pair last week, at my suggestion...although they're only available in black now; I had bronze.

Good luck to Ken on his climb - we MISS you! The Klingons all say hello!!!!!

DSW has the privo shoes as well....note....do NOT get bug spray on these shoes! They are super comfy but the chemical in the spray eats away at the "leather"....mine were black and I had residue all over my feet which of course then became all inflamed and itchy! And even after repeated washing the stickiness on the leather would just not go away....I really do love these shoes....I bought another pair....just avoid but spray!

Bonnie

…and now…for the top-secret area on Deck 11 (and actually, on Deck 12, too).

At the very, very back of the ship…on both decks 11 and 12…there are PUBLIC-access balconies:

AnnotatedDeck11_zps3a6c99ba.jpg

Hey look - I figured out how to annotate!!!

A lot of cruisers don’t know about these, because the balconies below these are all attached to a super-swanky cabin…and are private. Cruisers down below in the Boardwalk or Aqua Theater area will look up, and assume that the balconies ALL the way up must be private…but that’s not true.

These balconies can be found on either side…port and starboard. All you need to do is walk down the hallways – until the very end – and you’ll find a glass door that will take you out to the balconies.

They’re huge:

Deck114_zpsabb59037.jpg

Say hi to Amy...as she scurries back for more champagne for our Sailaway party....

They’re private:

Deck113_zps08cb81bf.jpg

And they provide a GREAT view of not only the Aqua Theater (perfect for the OceanAria show or the Dreamworks shows), but also a great view of the ocean…It was also PERFECT for a private sailaway party - especially the port side - as it gave us a great view of Ft. Lauderdale as we were leaving....

Deck115_zpsc0166b0f.jpg

This is ESPECIALLY nice for the poor souls like me who have an inside cabin – with no balcony whatsoever.

Deck112_zps7851d8e3.jpg

I would head to this balcony numerous times with my Diet Coke and my Kindle…where I’d stretch out on the lounger and read, watch the wake, or watch people run back to the ship at the various ports. Who needs to pay for a balcony when you have these at your disposal??!!! ;)

If you're looking to escape the crowds and the noise on the Allure, one of these FOUR balconies is your perfect choice…but shhhhhhh…..keep it a secret. The more people that know – the more people that will utilize them – and they won’t be so quiet!

This was most DEFINITELY one of my Top 10 Places to Visit on the Allure - it may even be #1!!!!

If you're looking to escape the crowds and the noise on the Allure, one of these FOUR balconies is your perfect choice…but shhhhhhh…..keep it a secret. The more people that know – the more people that will utilize them – and they won’t be so quiet!

This was most DEFINITELY one of my Top 10 Places to Visit on the Allure - it may even be #1!!!!

As a fellow "cave" dweller (by choice - love my inside cabins) they were one of my favourite places as well. There's actually 6... Deck 14 aft is also public albeit much smaller.

One hint for anyone seeking them out in the future - don't just assume they'll be beautifully sunny. I made the trek down the long long hallway with my foo-foo drink in one hand and Kindle in the other in search of these private public balconies. I get all the way aft, smiling at all the room stewards in the hallway to find my little piece of heaven... i'm almost ready to explode in excitement when I see the door... open the door... walk out... SHADE... DARK... NOT A RAY OF SUNSHINE! Walk out a little further and look across at the other side of the ship - amazing, glorious, need your SPF 10000 sunshine. Back thru the door... start the trek back up the hall... trying NOT to make eye contact with the room stewards... to the elevator banks, across the ship and start making my way back down the other hallway dodging more room stewards in my path. Get to the balcony, sigh with relief and happiness take the last sip of my foo foo drink and realize I now have to pee.

Before you go to the aft balconies:

- go to an outside deck and check which side the sun is shining (and go down that side of the ship)

- get 2 FooFoo drinks (it's a long long trek)

- pee before you head down otherwise you might be knocking on cabin doors ;)

As a fellow "cave" dweller (by choice - love my inside cabins) they were one of my favourite places as well. There's actually 6... Deck 14 aft is also public albeit much smaller.

One hint for anyone seeking them out in the future - don't just assume they'll be beautifully sunny. I made the trek down the long long hallway with my foo-foo drink in one hand and Kindle in the other in search of these private public balconies. I get all the way aft, smiling at all the room stewards in the hallway to find my little piece of heaven... i'm almost ready to explode in excitement when I see the door... open the door... walk out... SHADE... DARK... NOT A RAY OF SUNSHINE! Walk out a little further and look across at the other side of the ship - amazing, glorious, need your SPF 10000 sunshine. Back thru the door... start the trek back up the hall... trying NOT to make eye contact with the room stewards... to the elevator banks, across the ship and start making my way back down the other hallway dodging more room stewards in my path. Get to the balcony, sigh with relief and happiness take the last sip of my foo foo drink and realize I now have to pee.

Before you go to the aft balconies:

- go to an outside deck and check which side the sun is shining (and go down that side of the ship)

- get 2 FooFoo drinks (it's a long long trek)

- pee before you head down otherwise you might be knocking on cabin doors ;)

Good advice! And too funny! And you're right - sometimes it would be shaded - and sometimes it would be sunny...

Thank you for this great review! I am strongly considering going on the Oasis this upcoming December, and while not the same ship, i am curious to read about this from the perspective of someone else who previously thought that this class of ship might be too big...

Looking forward to reading the rest :)

Thanks for joining in - you sound like you have all the information you need to get your parents onboard a mega ship; I don't think you need any help from me! ;)

I hope you have fun on your upcoming cruise - it sounds like you're a lot like me; we'll never be bored. :)

Hey Sherri,

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully we will meet on one of our cruises. Are you booking your next cruise?

Take Care,

Daniel

At the very, very back of the ship…on both decks 11 and 12…there are PUBLIC-access balconies:

AnnotatedDeck11_zps3a6c99ba.jpg

Hey look - I figured out how to annotate!!!

A lot of cruisers don’t know about these, because the balconies below these are all attached to a super-swanky cabin…and are private. Cruisers down below in the Boardwalk or Aqua Theater area will look up, and assume that the balconies ALL the way up must be private…but that’s not true.

These balconies can be found on either side…port and starboard. All you need to do is walk down the hallways – until the very end – and you’ll find a glass door that will take you out to the balconies.

They’re huge:

Deck114_zpsabb59037.jpg

Say hi to Amy...as she scurries back for more champagne for our Sailaway party....

They’re private:

Deck113_zps08cb81bf.jpg

And they provide a GREAT view of not only the Aqua Theater (perfect for the OceanAria show or the Dreamworks shows), but also a great view of the ocean…It was also PERFECT for a private sailaway party - especially the port side - as it gave us a great view of Ft. Lauderdale as we were leaving....

Deck115_zpsc0166b0f.jpg

This is ESPECIALLY nice for the poor souls like me who have an inside cabin – with no balcony whatsoever.

Deck112_zps7851d8e3.jpg

I would head to this balcony numerous times with my Diet Coke and my Kindle…where I’d stretch out on the lounger and read, watch the wake, or watch people run back to the ship at the various ports. Who needs to pay for a balcony when you have these at your disposal??!!! ;)

Sherri, thanks for your great pics of these areas. I'd heard about them and seen distance shots, but nothing as good as yours and I'm looking to utilise these as we're staying on deck 11!