for anyone who is facinated with glacier calving

vmom

So far I've been to Alaska 3 times and each time was able to see small instances of glacier calving, which was a thrill.

I am posting a link to a fascinating you tube video of the largest instance of glacier calving recorded. It is very interesting for anyone who has an interest in glaciers.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hC3VTgIPoGU?rel=0

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cool! My GF sent this to me the other day.

This is the info from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3VTgIPoGU:

Published on Dec 14, 2012

"CHASING ICE" - IN THEATERS NOW.

See this and more on the big screen, showtimes at www.chasingice.com/showtimes

On May 28, 2008, Adam LeWinter and Director Jeff Orlowski filmed a historic breakup at the Ilulissat Glacier in Western Greenland. The calving event lasted for 75 minutes and the glacier retreated a full mile across a calving face three miles wide. The height of the ice is about 3,000 feet, 300-400 feet above water and the rest below water.

Chasing Ice won the award for Excellence in Cinematography at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, and has won 24 awards so far this year. Playing in theaters now.

Wow! That is fantastic!

We were fortunate to see calving on our cruise last August. We were on the Radiance of the Seas southbound route and saw Hubbard Glacier. It "calved" several times.

My wife was able to capture one of the calvings. It was spectacular! I didn't realize that the calving is preceded by a loud cracking sound and then rumbling like loud thunder!

If you would like to see the slide show that she made, you can click on the link below. The slide show will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Hubbard Glacier Calving Slideshow

Alaska is wonderful. Have a nice cruise!

This is a calving we witnessed at Tracy Arm's Sawyer Glacier. The ice flew at us because another very large chunk had calved right before the video started. Then when this large chunk also calved, ice fell on top of ice. A bowling ball sized chunk of ice broke the lady's femur.

Archived