Price drop for UK cruisers - no chance!

harz99

Following press adverts at far lower prices than we already paid for an Independence cruise we are booked on later this year, I rang our TA to ask for a price drop as our final balance is not for a few months yet.

After a lot of discussion with the chilly TA and phone calls between them and RCCL UK, the upshot was yes, but you will have to cancel and lose your deposits as well as a small OBC and free transfers then rebook, making us around £150 worse of in cash terms plus the losses of OBC/Transfers.

So here in the UK we can't get what our North American friends do get on a regular basis.

Losing the OBC and coach transfers would be no big deal, but having to cancel with loss of deposits is - why do we put up with this second class treatment?

Of course if I had booked through a US TA, no problem.

I can see a lot of UK travel agencies losing business, as a result of customers receiving this sort of treatment whilst they are aware that across the pond different rules apply.

Me, i'll look for a US travel agent to make future bookings through, or maybe even use another cruise line!

Whilst I agree the rules are evidently very different.....we also have to remember that we do get different travel protection that in the US; not sure if this has something to do with the different rules.

On top of this there are sometimes the large price differences between purchasing in the UK vs the US. The last booking I made in the US, saved me quite a bit on the UK price. I accept there are different rules and make sure I have good travel insurance in place.

I would very much like to understand why though the differences are so stark?

odetta

Am I allowed to ask how you booked in the US? It always makes me cross having to pay a higher price for my cruise because we are in the UK. I have tried booking on US sites but they will not accept bookings from the UK. Do you phone a TA?

Thanks

I used to book through a TA and had major trouble claiming price drops....they simply don't want to give them as it impacts on their commission. I had problem after problem and on one occasion actually made them ring RCI while I sat next to them - I got my price drop! I have booked our last few cruises direct with RCI and have absolutely no trouble claiming price drops. On last November's Indy Transatlantic, we got 2 price drops...not huge, but totalling about 10% discount. I would have a face to face with your TA and get them to ring RCI in your presence....it's surprising the difference it can make. Hope things work out for you. :)

Whilst I agree the rules are evidently very different.....we also have to remember that we do get different travel protection that in the US; not sure if this has something to do with the different rules.

On top of this there are sometimes the large price differences between purchasing in the UK vs the US. The last booking I made in the US, saved me quite a bit on the UK price. I accept there are different rules and make sure I have good travel insurance in place.

I would very much like to understand why though the differences are so stark?

So would I, but nobody from RCCL UK is honest enough to come on these boards and explain why!

So would I, but nobody from RCCL UK is honest enough to come on these boards and explain why!

Going back to the different rules issue which everyone quotes, if you have good travel insurance then what differences are there? I do ask in good faith as I'm totally unsure :confused:. I have booked both here and in the US.

I used to book through a TA and had major trouble claiming price drops....they simply don't want to give them as it impacts on their commission. I had problem after problem and on one occasion actually made them ring RCI while I sat next to them - I got my price drop! I have booked our last few cruises direct with RCI and have absolutely no trouble claiming price drops. On last November's Indy Transatlantic, we got 2 price drops...not huge, but totalling about 10% discount. I would have a face to face with your TA and get them to ring RCI in your presence....it's surprising the difference it can make. Hope things work out for you. :)

Hello BC; not possible to do face to face as our TA was a well known chilly .com TA which does business on the net and phone. After the above episode they have lost my future business, if for no other reason than the totally incompetent way they dealt with my above request - nearly 40 minutes on the phone - good job I had plenty of free minutes on the mobile.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Hello BC; not possible to do face to face as our TA was a well known chilly .com TA which does business on the net and phone. After the above episode they have lost my future business, if for no other reason than the totally incompetent way they dealt with my above request - nearly 40 minutes on the phone - good job I had plenty of free minutes on the mobile.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I don't know if it's possible, but you could ask them to set up a 3 way conference call, so you could hear exactly what RCI are telling them and if it it what they are then telling you.

Yeah, the UK folks definitely seem to draw the short straw when it comes to booking with RCI. I definitely don't envy you guys.

Do you know if this applies to other cruise lines as well? Anyone have experience with that?

I believe it's standard across the cruise industry, or has been, for UK cruisers to be locked in to the price paid. Glad to see some folks in this thread were able to work around that to a degree.

They do have more travel protections built in but I am surprised to hear they also pay more than US pax for the same cruise.

I am in the UK and just got a price match and free upgrade direct with RCI UK Office

Hi

I tried this on Friday as our cruise on Indy has dropped by £640. Told reduced price was for new bookings only. I emailed in a complaint and they are now reviewing my rig nail request for a price drop.

The UK has so many "consumer" protection laws, that cruise lines, not just RCI, take measure to insure the profit margin....For example (and this is exaggerated on purpose)...an airline has a major mechanical, refund, a monster storm, refund, a supplier performs below expectations, refund. Heck in France, is it rains, the law gives you 'extra' vacation days.

We may operate under a more buyer beware atmosphere, for example...we can take advantage of certain discounts....but your government has determined you need 'protection' so you get protection, you may not get great deals, but you are 'protected'

Archived