Can you walk?

crusinfamof4

Can you walk from the port to the southern most part of the US? Or will we have to take a taxi or something? I heard it's just a mile from port, so walking would be fine. Thanks!

It's more like 1.5 miles by the time you include walking off Mallory docks, but it's a nice walk along Whitehead Street. You'd pass the Audubon house, the Green Parrot Saloon with its gift shop next door, the Hemingway house, the lighthouse and, at Petronia, the Bahama Village. And if you invest in a 1 block detour to the right on Petronia, you'd see Besame Mucho for gifts and La Craperie for lunch.

Pjk

Remember, you will have to walk back also, doubling your distance. But as was said above the sights you'll see along the way are interesting.

There's one factor I consider for others who may be reading this. Depending on the time of year and even time of day you are in Key West, that walk can be very hot and humid. This time of year, the weather is usually heavenly. In August--not so much.

We were in key west in April the last time doing the trolley tour. Saw a young couple returning from the southernmost point and they looked like it was dragging them down. They were not over weight.

I would say by the time you walk there, spend time sight seeing along the way, then return trip, you could be washed out at the end.

Can you walk from the port to the southern most part of the US? Or will we have to take a taxi or something? I heard it's just a mile from port, so walking would be fine. Thanks!

If you are in somewhat decent shape, it can be a very pleasant walk. Walking down Whitehead and back up Duval is a great walk, filled with shopping, historic sights, and restaurants.

But if you tire easily and the total 2.6 mile walk is too much, I suggest taking a taxi, or better yet, a pedicab one way.

We did this last week. Got off the ship at 7:30, and got to the southernmost point shortly before 8, I believe. We didn't rush to get there, taking our time, stopping to take pictures.

Stopped and rested about 10 minutes while we were there (very few people there taking pictures at that time), walked a little on South Street, and spent a few leisurely minutes on the south end of Duval Street, before walking back up Duval at a leisurely pace until we got back up to the Hemingway House, where we went as soon as it opened.

So at this time of the year, it's a very nice walk, and very easy to do. Yes, it's a lot of walking, but if you're even somewhat in shape, you should have no problem.

Archived