Reflection and the Alcoves

BigDaddy2002

Based on this thread, we've reserved alcoves for all 3 sea days on our upcoming Reflection cruise!

I did ask about a discount, but was told that only applied if reserving for all week - in which case the discount would be 10% off (maybe because we're on the Thanksgiving week sailing? or overall new policy due to popularity?)

three days seems like a luxury as it is, so we stuck with that. we'll find a way to make do the rest of the week ;)

also, in case this is of interest, cancellation policy is 24 hours in advance. so, if for some unimaginable reason, we don't like the luxury, comfort, and convenience of a reserved area just for us, we can cancel after the first day and let someone else have the space :)

Mary

Based on this thread, we've reserved alcoves for all 3 sea days on our upcoming Reflection cruise!

I did ask about a discount, but was told that only applied if reserving for all week - in which case the discount would be 10% off (maybe because we're on the Thanksgiving week sailing? or overall new policy due to popularity?)

three days seems like a luxury as it is, so we stuck with that. we'll find a way to make do the rest of the week ;)

also, in case this is of interest, cancellation policy is 24 hours in advance. so, if for some unimaginable reason, we don't like the luxury, comfort, and convenience of a reserved area just for us, we can cancel after the first day and let someone else have the space :)

Mary

Maybe double check the discount.... I think it was you had to book a port day as well (3 plus port day)

......so we booked the day we go to P Rico as the ship doesn't dock until 3 pm that day...and the price is a port day price... our holiday on the Reflection is only a few weeks away. Can't wait! :)

We just go back from a Reflection cruise and did say that these would be great when we travel as an extended family ( multigenerational ) - A great meeting place during the day and for the lawn concerts. Not sure I would ever get a picnic basket - you are very close to the Ocean view cafe.

I wonder if they limit the number of people to 4? You could easily get a larger group in there (6-8), especially if they were coming and going all day.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is the weather. On the first and last sea days we had some high winds and rain and it was really cool up on the top deck. People were not in the alcoves much on the first and last sea days.

For the reflection itinerary - I think the San Juan port day would be perfect to get an alcove. The weather has warmed up by then, you don't dock until 3-3:30 and then there is a lawn concert in the evening....and it is cheaper!

That has never been a problem actually.

The problem is that public space has been converted into private cabanas area.

They took this space from 3000 passengers on a ship that suffers from open space deficiency and sold it to a few people who are willing to pay $$$.

What are your views on removing the "Free" Glass Show and replacing it with a "Pay" dining?

I have been on Equinox and Solistice and quite frankly found that the show didn't hold my interest and will not miss it on my upcoming Silhouette cruise. My wife hated the glass show mainly because she got there early for a good seat then people stood in front of her and blocked her view.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

It is my understanding that Celebrity did not "take out" the Hot Glass show just to put in a Specialty dining area. Celebrity apparently only had a contract for the first three S Class ships with Corning Glass - you can imagine staffing issues with only a certain amount of artisans available.

Edited by Christine Frances

• 3 weeks later...
Just off the ship and have some updates.

First, the Alcoves were a great idea for us. I called and reserved them 6 months ago. Still, we were only able to get them 6 of 7 days as people had already reserved all 10 for one sea day.

On the Reflection currently, the person in charge of them is Jayson, who also works in the Lawn Club Grill, which is adjacent to the Alcoves. He will do his best to meet your needs, but there are some interesting limitations. You can pay for a "picnic basket", but it's just the same food from the Oceanview Cafe, which is one floor below.

The LCG and The Porch are both very close to the Alcoves, but Celebrity has decreed that you cannot bring food from either of them into the Alcoves. Apparently, if they let one person do it, anarchy will result.

Bar service is available from the LCG but we found that Bailey and David from the nearby Sunset Bar were very attentive to us in the Alcoves.

At least one evening there was a jazz concert on the Lawn directly in front of our Alcoves. The group was terrific but it was a sparsely attended concert. Celebrity had set blankets out for people to lay on during the concert, but only about half were occupied.

Celebrity ropes off many areas near the Alcoves in order to protect and repair the grass. While we didn't mind the restricted access, this did make the grassy area in between the Alcoves appear to be more off limits than it actually was.

As our group had two Alcoves reserved, we frequently had as many as 8 people in one or the other. I suppose it's always possible to have an issue where a limit on the number of people is enforced, but on this cruise we had no issue with any of the staff or any other guest.

Quite simply, the Alcoves provided us with a meeting place each day for 4 couples to come and go as we pleased. The (10) Alcoves are nicely appointed and we found the furniture adequate to comfortable. They do not take up very much space and the Lawn around them is available for anyone to use. I feel certain that the yellow ropes and chains Celebrity used to restrict access in order to protect patches of grass made the Lawn area appear less available than it actually was.

We all agree that we will try to reserve Alcoves whenever we are on a cruise where they are available. Strongly recommend them, especially for sea days.

For the most part, the alcoves sound great! They are pricey . If you book for the entire week we were told discount is 20%- but for one couple that is around $600. If you share and it is $300 each- sounds a lot better! We have reserved for our upcoming Reflection Cruise. It will be one day that we do not have to fight for seats at the pool. Unfortunately for us, it is a port day.

We plan on going out for a few hours then relax at the alcove the rest of the day. The evening concert sounds wonderful. I was wondering if we should introduce ourselves to the alcove staff before we leave the ship. Do they give us an ID braclete? Or do they just have a list of the people who are scheduled to use the alcove? Do they supply towels? What is an appropriate daily tip for the service received? We have a drink package- but I "assume" they bring you the drinks, etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Hi Cruise a holic

Service was provided to the Alcoves by staff from the Lawn Club Grill which is adjacent to them. The staff were great to us. Towels were provided. We all had the drink package also.

On embarkation day, we had hung out at the Sunset bar and gotten to know the waiter there. We tipped him a few bucks and during the afternoon he asked if we would be back. We told him we would see him during the week as a couple of us enjoy cigars and that is the only place on the ship to smoke cigars.

Long story short, drink service to the Alcoves the first day from the LCG staff was slow but friendly. A short time later, we were surprised by our waiter from the Sunset Bar who had showed up to see if we needed anything! For the rest of the week he waited on us and service was great. I think the Alcove staff had to get our drink order filled at the Sunset Bar anyway, so this ended up being faster.

I'm not sure what was appropriate to tip, but I think we slipped he waiter a $10 or $20 a couple of times during the week. All of the staff was great to us.

Enjoy!

BD

Edited by BigDaddy2002
clarity

I always welcome reading reviews - but that one was MUCH more glass have empty then glass have full. It focused a lot more on where Celebrity fell short of expectations vs where Celebrity exceeded expectations.

I'm still on the fence on one of these. I love the concept - however with a teenager not being able to use it (even though she just sits around & reads) it makes it a tough sell.

Are you saying these can only be used by Adults? What is the age restriction on these please.

Are you saying these can only be used by Adults? What is the age restriction on these please.

Saw this post and called Specialty Dining (which the Alcoves fall under) and there is absolutely no age limit but there is a capacity limit. It only has seating for 4 but they don't mind if a few more join in for a short period of time. He also said that bookings are up 200% and most times the Alcoves are totally booked before sailing date and are unavailable to book on the ship. I asked about 1/2 day bookings at a reduced rate and he said not at this time as they are selling well.

Do they give us an ID braclete? Or do they just have a list of the people who are scheduled to use the alcove?

No bracelet, they have a list.

Hi Cruise a holic

I'm not sure what was appropriate to tip, but I think we slipped he waiter a $10 or $20 a couple of times during the week. All of the staff was great to us.

Yes, we definitely did. ;)

Probably more than that. I know a couple of times someone in our group said they had tipped him and someone else would laugh and say 'Oh, we gave him $10 last time he came around.' I'm sure he made out very well for the week. :D

What are your views on removing the "Free" Glass Show and replacing it with a "Pay" dining?

I have been on Equinox and Solistice and quite frankly found that the show didn't hold my interest and will not miss it on my upcoming Silhouette cruise. My wife hated the glass show mainly because she got there early for a good seat then people stood in front of her and blocked her view.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I agree with your evaluation. We saw the glass show and also lost interest. First, you sit on hard benches, outside- some in the sun for about 2 hours! In addition to this the heat comes from the ovens used to bake the glass.

Interesting for a short time only. Perhaps not great for the over 50 crowd. While we might sail on a solstice class ship that has the glass show, we no longer go. Perhaps this is the feeling of many people as the new solstice class ships no longer feature them.

We are using these Alcoves on sea days in May (Med cruise). My wife is a bit of a sun worshiper.smileys-sunbathing-739999.gif Does anybody know if they will let you put the top down? What's the dress code?:confused: Has anyone seen a bathing suit in one of these? If a one piece bathing suit is taboo maybe she could do a tankini top and shorts? Wouldn't want to be too riskay' for the folks in the Lawn Club Grille;)

Edited by Doupa22

We are using these Alcoves on sea days in May (Med cruise). My wife is a bit of a sun worshiper.smileys-sunbathing-739999.gif Does anybody know if they will let you put the top down? What's the dress code?:confused: Has anyone seen a bathing suit in one of these? If a one piece bathing suit is taboo maybe she could do a tankini top and shorts? Wouldn't want to be too riskay' for the folks in the Lawn Club Grille;)

I read that you can request that the top of the alcove be opened for those who desire- or closed for those who do not want the effects of the sun. With the exception of nude bathing- I do not recall any celebrity swim suit restrictions.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We haven't been on Reflection to use The Alcoves, but HAL has something similar, but on a deck dedicated to the Club. We loved them on a two week cruise in August in the Med last year, and would book again if on a cruise in exxtremely hot and sunny weather. It was so nice to be assured shade and a vacant lounge when you wanted it!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!

We just got home last night from our week on the Reflection, which we had booked the Alcoves for 4 of those days. in my opinion, they are worth every penny. :)

We loved our Alcove, the personal assistant assigned to it brings drinks, etc... the IPAD, the shade......and sun if you wanted it, and the ease of knowing you always had a relaxing area reserved just for you and your family.

To answer some questions posted here..... You can wear what you want.... play the music you want (or not) from your IPAD....have drinks and snacks delivered....as well as have privacy and a place for your group or family to meet up.....

When you have an Alcove booked you will have your name posted on the little sign (see attached pic). You have them from 9-9 so you can come and go as you please....

They are peaceful, quiet and totally relaxing. As for comments about taking up too much space on the grass....I just don't see that as an issue..... Our 4 days included the 3 sea days + the San Juan day....I spent 75 percent of my day there relaxing as my family dropped in an out of activities, and I can say that I saw 7 people in total actually lie on the grass or spend any time there. They had officer and guest Bocce ball a couple of times, and 2 lawn concerts....and there was lots of room for all. I tried to book one extra day, and they were completely booked up with a wait list so if you are thinking of booking....book ahead. Cheers and happy travels!

We just got home last night from our week on the Reflection, which we had booked the Alcoves for 4 of those days. in my opinion, they are worth every penny. :)

We loved our Alcove, the personal assistant assigned to it brings drinks, etc... the IPAD, the shade......and sun if you wanted it, and the ease of knowing you always had a relaxing area reserved just for you and your family.

To answer some questions posted here..... You can wear what you want.... play the music you want (or not) from your IPAD....have drinks and snacks delivered....as well as have privacy and a place for your group or family to meet up.....

When you have an Alcove booked you will have your name posted on the little sign (see attached pic). You have them from 9-9 so you can come and go as you please....

They are peaceful, quiet and totally relaxing. As for comments about taking up too much space on the grass....I just don't see that as an issue..... Our 4 days included the 3 sea days + the San Juan day....I spent 75 percent of my day there relaxing as my family dropped in an out of activities, and I can say that I saw 7 people in total actually lie on the grass or spend any time there. They had officer and guest Bocce ball a couple of times, and 2 lawn concerts....and there was lots of room for all. I tried to book one extra day, and they were completely booked up with a wait list so if you are thinking of booking....book ahead. Cheers and happy travels!

Thank you so much for your report!! Now I really can't wait until June!!