Belieze tendering- read not worth going

Dale&Joan

I just read several comments by people that said to skip any itinerary with Belize. They said the tender ports are horrible and take forever.

Did read a lot of good excursions. We are looking at a cruise with Carnival Magic in May. Another one goes to Montego Bay, Jamaica instead which does not look as exciting.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We went to Belize a few years ago.....have never been back and won't book a cruise if that is a port.

The tender was scary! Worst, most frightening ride of my life. Also found Belize right near the port to be a little scary....just my opinion, though. We did not book an exursion. Did a little shopping and walked around the area that was not fenced off. Went back to the ship....really long wait for the tender.

But like I said, that is only MY opinion and I know others have had better experiences so you'll really have to decide for yourself. After this response you will probably get 3 who LOVE Belize and the tenders. LOL

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

If you book a ship's excursion, you will have priority on the tenders. It has been a few years (2004), but I don't recall anything particularly bad about tendering in Belize. Tendering anywhere isn't my favorite thing, but if that is what it takes to get there, so be it. I wouldn't want to do that port on my own, but there are some really nice excursions there. The snorkeling is great. We did that last time. We are taking our granddaughters in March and will go to Altun Ha Mayan ruins on a ship's excursion. We generally avoid ship sponsored excursions, but feel safer with that in this port.

I love the tender in Belize. Do you enjoy smaller boats? If so you will enjoy the tender. They are not tiny boats by any stretch of the imagination and they travel very fast. I personally enjoy the tender trip in Belize. We also love Belize. I do recommend taking an excursion and getting away from town. That is where Belize is nicest. We have done cave tubing twice and the Zoo twice and loved it all. We also feel safe walking around the town area. It is a very poor country but the people are quite friendly. I have never felt unsafe. We enjoy the small flea market just outside the gated port area. Items are cheaper and they are so appreciative that you purchase from locals.

The tender ride in Belize is long because the water along the coast is shallow and silty causing ships to have to anchor out a great distance from the pier (5-6miles). It takes time to travel that distance. But if the weather is decent, the tender trip isn't unusally rocky or rough. Most tenders used in Belize hold 100-400 passengers. Although there are a few that hold less which are used for smaller crusie ships or as extras if needed.

Belize City is NOT a tourist oriented town. It is a working town. The area directly outside the Tourism Village where the tenders dock is primarily a residential neighborhood. Belize's inhabitants aren't rich. They are, for the most part, hard working and anxious to earn a living for their families.

This is highly visibable directly outside the gates to the Tourism Village, where many independent vendors are vying for tourist $ for excursions. But the same is true in many other ports--Antigua, Tortola, Jamaica, for example, are especially notorious for their very very aggressive hawkers and taxi drivers outside the port gates. But once past the TV boundaries, these folks melt away. Unfortunately there's not a lot of places to go on foot within easy walking distance.

There are no "beaches" or "beach resorts" near the port. The major ones on the mainland are mostly in southern Belize. This causes consternation amongst cruise passengers who are expecting white sandy beaches at every stop.

So in order to "have something to do" in Belize, you'll need to book and excursion to somewhere--caye, snorkeling,cavetubing, Maya ruins, et.al..

However, the "danger" and "disgust" ranted on these boards is reminiscent of you "old Uncle Joe" telling you not to go to Times Square or ride the subway when you're in NYC, because of what he "saw" or heard about there 50 years ago yet his own town just had 2 murders and the neighbors across the street had their 3rd break-in in six months last week.

The tender ride in Belize is long because the water along the coast is shallow and silty causing ships to have to anchor out a great distance from the pier (5-6miles). It takes time to travel that distance. But if the weather is decent, the tender trip isn't unusally rocky or rough. Most tenders used in Belize hold 100-400 passengers. Although there are a few that hold less which are used for smaller crusie ships or as extras if needed.

Belize City is NOT a tourist oriented town. It is a working town. The area directly outside the Tourism Village where the tenders dock is primarily a residential neighborhood. Belize's inhabitants aren't rich. They are, for the most part, hard working and anxious to earn a living for their families.

This is highly visibable directly outside the gates to the Tourism Village, where many independent vendors are vying for tourist $ for excursions. But the same is true in many other ports--Antigua, Tortola, Jamaica, for example, are especially notorious for their very very aggressive hawkers and taxi drivers outside the port gates. But once past the TV boundaries, these folks melt away. Unfortunately there's not a lot of places to go on foot within easy walking distance.

There are no "beaches" or "beach resorts" near the port. The major ones on the mainland are mostly in southern Belize. This causes consternation amongst cruise passengers who are expecting white sandy beaches at every stop.

So in order to "have something to do" in Belize, you'll need to book and excursion to somewhere--caye, snorkeling,cavetubing, Maya ruins, et.al..

However, the "danger" and "disgust" ranted on these boards is reminiscent of you "old Uncle Joe" telling you not to go to Times Square or ride the subway when you're in NYC, because of what he "saw" or heard about there 50 years ago yet his own town just had 2 murders and the neighbors across the street had their 3rd break-in in six months last week.

Thanks for all your information. I agree about people having preconceived notions. We went on the Carnival Splendor which is a great ship from LA where we live and down the Mexican Riviera the last two years. It was great. We did not have to get on an airplane and all that hassle and also the rates dropped significantly because of all the bad press in Mexico. All major cities have good and bad areas no one should be in.

This ^^^

We rode in on a higher capacity tender type boat and back on a smaller capacity fishing/speed boat. Both were excellent trips but if you aren't used to riding fast on a small boat then it could be upsetting, I guess. We had an excursion prebooked with a private vendor (VIV) and had a wonderful day. We are totally okay with a port that isn't touristy though.

I was a little apprehensive to get off the ship here - especially after Carnival put a letter in our room telling us to be careful in Belize City.

But since we had already booked an excursion with Carnival, we decided to go. The tender was not bad at all - just long - approximately 25 minutes.

We did the Mayan Ruins and River Wallace and LOVED both! Our guides did a great job at both places and we were really glad we decided to go. The ruins were very interesting and really beautiful to see. On the River Wallace we saw crocodiles, howler monkeys, iguanas, manatee, children and even a lady doing laundry at the edge of the river (brave lady with the crocodiles that are in there!).

Only you can decide whether the longish tender and the safety factor is an issue for you.

I don't think I would ever do something on my own there but that's just me.

There was a recent post, I think on the NCL board, with a video of the tender ride in Belize. It did not look too bad. I'm not crazy about tendering, but it is what it is. I'll never stay on the ship when there are place to see and explore. We are going to take a morning ship's excursion to Bannister Island and then in the afternoon we are going to take the tender in for some shopping and drinks.

Bel-City is one of our 3 favorite ports ( Roatan/Ensenada). A real culture vacation with the nicest folks of ANY port we have done. It looks a bit rough, but has great charm, architecture and people. It is NOT cookie-cutter with Del-Sol Shops, Carlos & Charlies/Senor Frogs/Margaraitaville etc. Do yourself a favor, go, get away from the fenced in Tourism village trap. Wander the streets have fun. We visited churches, a school, a museum, near the museum is Neries Restuarant for real belizean food (try the gibnut or cows-foot).

The tender is fun, I actually like tenders, extra boat ride to me :)

Most who dislike Belize are those who buy souvenirs, sit on a beach or bar and get drunk it seems to me?

Last year when we were at Belize, we did the Lamanai and River excursion on our Christmas cruise on Mariner of the Seas. We didn't have any problems with the tender ride to shore.

We booked directly through the RC cruiseline. With the travel time and excursion time combined it was a long day but well worth it.

It was a good thing I booked it through the cruise line. Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back and we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship.

Very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. I'm not sure the ship would have waited for us.

If you're interested in seeing pictures, my wife put together a slideshow and posted it on her website. The slideshow includes the river cruise first, then pics of the ruins.

If you would like to see the slide show that she made, you can click on the link below. The slide show will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Here is the link http://nancysoasis.com/belize/belize.html

We went to Belize a few years ago on the Dream. The tender to shore is long, about 20-25 minutes, but not bad at all. We did not have any plans in Belize, so we stayed on the ship. On the tender ride back, we met a couple that signed up for a snorkeling tour, but the water was too rough, so they didn't do much. When we stayed on the ship, we used the water slides, played mini golf & sat by the empty pool while most everyone was off the ship. We enjoyed it. We took the tender to shore after lunch just to see the port area. It was ok, but other port areas are nicer. We are going back on the Dream in April and will most likely do the same thing, play mini golf, water slides, sit by the pool. Keep in mind that I am traveling with kids, so they enjoyed enjoying the ship without any lines.

We tendered in on a cruise probably about 15 years ago before it was a major cruise ship stop. Our ride in was on some guys private cigarrette speed boat. Only held 6 people and that guy wanted to make as many trips back and forth as possible I think because we must have been going 60+ MPH on the way in. Got airborne out of the water quite a bit. I thought that was better than the kayaking on the Belize River excursion we went on. The old couple on the boat I don't think enjoyed it as much as I did :)

We just returned this past Sunday(SuperBowl Sunday) to Port of New Orleans and Belize was one of our ports. We had taken this same itinerary two years ago and didn't make the stop at Belize due to monetary descrepencies with the tender operators and we were diverted to Grand Cayman. We finally made it to Belize this time and had booked the Xunantunich Ruins again through the ship.

Including the tender ride into shore, and even the long bus ride to the site and back, we were not disappointed. The tender was longer than in some ports, but was comfortable and accepted as part of the day there. Our guides were most informative and attentative the entire day. I now have a better perspective on this port and will return sometime soon. One thing the really stood out was the price of gasoline there was $11.08 US Gal. !! :eek:

The norm is an extremely wide variety of types from those who've never ridden in a motor boat before to those who own them. The lady who thought it was terrifying is one of the latter probably...no criticism, just different points of view. If you have any water experience like boating in your past, you will think nothing of the tenders. If you haven't I suppose it might make you nervous....different strokes for different folks. But it's only a few minutes and well worth it.

But if all you do is walk around in the shops or sit at the Lizard, you will not like this port, same with Costa Maya or Progresso (my least favorite port) If you take yourself out of the pier area you will find plenty to do and enjoy. Belize is famous for it's reef and for Whale Sharks and the Blue Hole, as well as Mayan ruins and you can't beat the beauty of it out there.

We're finally making it to Goff's Caye for a beach and snorkel day...you can't beat this place:

30wrxjb.jpg

Just off the Crown Princess, which made a stop in Belize. The tender ride was not a problem. Not really that much different then one would have to Grand Cayman, just on a faster boat. It took 20 minutes or so. Went cavetubing in Belize and had a blast. The port area is no different than any other cruise line designed area. Shopping is same old, same old.

I've been to Montego Bay twice and would stay on the ship next time. The hassle from the locals became overwhelming. When they follow you into the ocean pusihing drugs is where I draw the line. I much prefer Belize to Jamaica.

We went to Belize for the first time last March, and now are booked on 2 cruises there again..We think the tender ride is great compared to the snails pace ones at , say, Cayman, for example..It is a very smooth ride, just faster....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/sany1946.jpg/]sany1946.jpg[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bel-City is one of our 3 favorite ports ( Roatan/Ensenada). A real culture vacation with the nicest folks of ANY port we have done. It looks a bit rough, but has great charm, architecture and people. It is NOT cookie-cutter with Del-Sol Shops, Carlos & Charlies/Senor Frogs/Margaraitaville etc. Do yourself a favor, go, get away from the fenced in Tourism village trap. Wander the streets have fun. We visited churches, a school, a museum, near the museum is Neries Restuarant for real belizean food (try the gibnut or cows-foot).

The tender is fun, I actually like tenders, extra boat ride to me :)

Most who dislike Belize are those who buy souvenirs, sit on a beach or bar and get drunk it seems to me?

i cant agree more! we did a land vacation in belize last year. while we got around to as much as the country as we could, we stayed in a very remote village. our favorite part about it, besides the wonderful people and beautiful land, was not seeing a mcdonalds or a senor frogs for days!

Belize strikes me as a place for people who want to see Mayan Ruins, cavetube or snorkel. If you aren't into that, it's not a great place to "wing it", like Cozumel or St Thomas. In my pre-cruise research, I didn't come up with any type of private tours of the kind we did in Cozumel and Roatan where they took us around, showed us some of the popular sites and also showed us the non-touristy areas.

We did enjoy the MOHO chocolate bars we bought there, and enjoyed the little tour the young lady gave us of how they make their chocolate.

We like the Western Caribbean ports and have been to Belize at least 6 times. I like the tender ride; it gives you time to see how incredible the water is.

The boats they use are a good size and seem very safe.

We have done most of the excursions, but like to go to lunch at the Wet Lizard and look in the shops in the terminal.

We will be back there again this year, along with Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel.

Archived