Both traditional dining times unavailable

MAHA

WE have reserved a cabin on Grandeur of the Seas for September 5, 2013. WhenI reserved it a few weeks ago, I was told by my TA that the 8:30 pm traditional dining was unavailable and that he had wait listed us for that time, but reserved the 6 pm time. We do not like eating that early and are hoping the 8:30 opens up. He said there must be a large group on board and the Maitre'd had to arrange their tables before opening up for others. Now, the 6 pm time is also unavailable and it is 7 months before sailing. There are many cabins still avaiable except that all balconies are sold out. RCCL would not tell my TA what the group onboard was. Has anyone had this expeience before? If so, did you get the time that you wanted for dinner? We are diamond C&A members, so we will get some priority for the wait listing. Also, I have done google searches for groups on this sailing and can't fine any. Should I be worried about some alternative lifestyle group (swingers, gays, etc.) or some other group on board?

Grandeur is a smaller ship. Tthere are only balconies on a couple of decks. So, they sell out quickly. After final payment some may open if you move quickly.

Do not worry about the waitlist for the late seating. [i always see empty tables on the ate seating.] We did that too and not long after that a slot opened.

It is my theory that RCL is not opening the traditional dining slots early on to encourage people to waitlist their prefrred dining and then sign up for MTD as a fall back plan. When you do MTD you have to pay gratuities in advance.

My TA tried to get me to pay the gratuities in advance. I told her no I would wait for the wait list to have time to work. Voila! we got in late seating.

PS--there is often some group onboard a ship. We have a group of Maryland realtors on our ship. I am not expecting any troube from them. :)

PS--I will pay my gratuities--not trying to get out of it. But, would like to use some onboard credit.

WE have reserved a cabin on Grandeur of the Seas for September 5, 2013. WhenI reserved it a few weeks ago, I was told by my TA that the 8:30 pm traditional dining was unavailable and that he had wait listed us for that time, but reserved the 6 pm time. We do not like eating that early and are hoping the 8:30 opens up. He said there must be a large group on board and the Maitre'd had to arrange their tables before opening up for others. Now, the 6 pm time is also unavailable and it is 7 months before sailing. There are many cabins still avaiable except that all balconies are sold out. RCCL would not tell my TA what the group onboard was. Has anyone had this expeience before? If so, did you get the time that you wanted for dinner? We are diamond C&A members, so we will get some priority for the wait listing. Also, I have done google searches for groups on this sailing and can't fine any. Should I be worried about some alternative lifestyle group (swingers, gays, etc.) or some other group on board?

Yes, we've had experience with this and have always gotten the time we wanted. You must remember, this is February and you are cruising in September. Second seating will eventually open up especially after final payment. Have your TA keep checking. Or you can call C&A yourself and check.

This has been something that was told to us when we booked cruises well in advance. It began to happen about the time My Time Dining became available with its requirement for pre-paid gratuities. We began to suspect that Royal was trying to get people to book the MTD instead of traditional dining.

Even though we have been wait-listed several times for the dining hour we wanted, by the time the cruises actually happened, the seating we wanted had miraculously opened up for us.

We booked a cruise this week for December 1st on the Freedom and MTD was our only option. I was quite surprised because there are tons of cabins open for that cruise. I have us wait-listed for late seating and hope we get it. We've done MTD twice and didn't really like it.

The huge International renowned group "Gay Bikers On Acid" have hung up their bottomless chaps in favour of slinky black leather hot pants and sailor caps!

They heard the Grandeur of the Seas entertainment staff were not performing the YMCA dance correctly and September 5, 2013 was the only time slot they could fit in! They feel anyone attempting the Alphabet body poses that have made this song so popular on cruises should wear the appropriate handlebar moustache or be forced to spectate only:p

They are bringing along a few of their own cops as well;)

Thanks for all the replies that our wait listed dining time will open up. This is our first cruise where we have not gotten the time we wanted, even since MTD started! I really don't like the prepaid gratuities. I just like giving them the tips in person and cash.

Thanks for all the replies that our wait listed dining time will open up. This is our first cruise where we have not gotten the time we wanted, even since MTD started! I really don't like the prepaid gratuities. I just like giving them the tips in person and cash.

This has happended to us on the last 3 cruises. The late seating always opened up. Never fear.:)

I really don't like the prepaid gratuities. I just like giving them the tips in person and cash.

We actually thought that we really liked giving out the gratuities in cash along with our sincere thanks. And we continued to do it, even after MTD was available.

However, the first time we pre-paid our gratuities, we really, really enjoyed the experience. We both commented on how "liberating" it felt. There was no requirement to be somewhere at a certain time and dresssed a certain way.

We always sign up for MTD now, prepay the gratuities, and eat wherever we choose. :)

This has been something that was told to us when we booked cruises well in advance. It began to happen about the time My Time Dining became available with its requirement for pre-paid gratuities. We began to suspect that Royal was trying to get people to book the MTD instead of traditional dining.

Even though we have been wait-listed several times for the dining hour we wanted, by the time the cruises actually happened, the seating we wanted had miraculously opened up for us.

Agree, this happened to us too. When our "waitlist" turned in late dining, (within 48 hrs) the prepaid grats stayed on our bill...we called C&A to have them removed...we are old school, we like to hand our servers and stewards cash (they probably like it best too,). I believe RCI is pushing the MTD..

They may be waiting now to see how many Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members are booking before opening it up to everyone.

All having that status does is put us in the front of the waitlist. Although I'm not above calling C&A to see if they'll clear us, and they usually do. That's why I tend to agree that the seatings aren't booked up at all and they just want everybody to choose MTD and pre-pay gratuities.

When, when WHEN will they just surrender and charge a daily service charge as all of the other mass market lines now do?

Agreed. Just booked a July FOS sailing and all dining options are "full". The reservations rep. even acted surprised that they were "full" before she told me how great My Time Dining is. I guess it's just a waiting game to see where we end up. It's my kid's 1st cruise and he'd really enjoy My Family Time Dining/Adventure Ocean. It's been 4 years since our last cruise and I don't remember dining preferences being such an issue.

I feel RCI is pushing MTD while booking ones cruise by saying the traditional is booked. You are forced into having to pay gratuities up front at the time of your reservation.

It happened to me. After I paid, by the time confirmation came to me ( I mean within minutes) I was assigned to late dining, but I had paid my gratuities.

I called back to have them removed. The royal CS said that most do not call back to have it removed. Leaving me to believe it a game they are playing.

So, I really think this is another way to make sure the staff is getting tipped.

First of all, I really like MTD and enjoy not having to do the envelope thing at the end of the cruise. It is very freeing not to have to be concerned about your whereabouts throught the week or be concerned that they think you will stiff them if you do not eat in the MDR the last night. I find envelope tipping demeaning. I prefer to pay upfront on my terms, not when RC wants to play games to get tips paid.

This is an interesting thread. I just booked a cruise on Brilliance for November and allegedly both dining times are full. In 11 previous bookings I've never had this issue. I have zero desire to try MTD - if I wanted to eat whenever I felt like it I would book with NCL. The whole set dining time with the same waiters each night is part of the whole cruising experience for me. I will be making daily dummy reservations to see if traditional dining magically becomes available...I don't trust them to contact me if space opens up...

I have just read more of this thread and beginning to think RCCL wants the prepaid gratuities. We like giving them to those who actually serve us because we worry they won't get as much if we pre-pay. We also like the traditional dining at a set table with the smae tablemates and servers each night. I just hope we will be able to get late seating as the 6 pm is too early for us.

One does not pay grats until final payment, MTD or prepay

If you meant me. I meant "paid" as in deposit. Sorry. It's not like the rep would go further until I chose a dining time, right. No choice other than being pushed into MTD and then wait listed.

I just don't like having MTD gratuties added to my total bill especially once I've gotten into traditional dining. They do not remove the charge unless you call in to have it removed.

Archived