After A Few Years Cruise-Free, Alaska Here I Come...Some Questions About Changes:

OptionAnon

Now, even though I've sailed many times on Princess, it's been 4 years since my last cruise. My sister did a Caribbean cruise last month and was surprised that they did not open the formal dining room for lunch on Port days. Now, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem for me in Alaska, because when I cruise there, I am off the ship most of the day.

But it did get me thinking about what other changes I can expect.

It looks like I'll be on the Star (Aug 24, 2013, round-trip Seattle) and I'm a little concerned about the wear and tear on the Star. I sailed her many years ago, as I have on both the Grand and Golden...but it was my love of the Diamond Princess (Gem Class) that makes me think twice about how the Star is holding up.

I know that, overall, you can't find a bad Princess cruise...but the last cruise (Alaska, Golden in Sept 2008) that ship was a bit withered. Drawers that were wonky, etc. Anyone know when the last in-depth refurbishment happened on the Star?

Also...as an Elite CC member, the afternoon of embarkation, the Maitre d' would sometimes be seated in one of the dining rooms accepting "standing reservation" requests from Elite cruisers. Does that still happen? I like to make a standing rez (for example, the Amalfi, table for 4 each night at 8). Still possible?

I've heard the shows are now shorter, which I find odd, they were never that long to begin with...but...does that mean there are now three showings of a given show instead of two?

One odd question...I'm on a sugar-restricted diet and have (in the past) packed about three 2-liter bottles of Diet 7-Up (since the only diet offerings on Princess have caffeine)...although it sounds like they are really scanning bags for beverages, and I'd hate to end up with an embarrassing experience when my luggage is delivered.

If this thread stays active for a bit I know I'll have more questions...but, I'm excited to be back!

Now, even though I've sailed many times on Princess, it's been 4 years since my last cruise. My sister did a Caribbean cruise last month and was surprised that they did not open the formal dining room for lunch on Port days. Now, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem for me in Alaska, because when I cruise there, I am off the ship most of the day.

But it did get me thinking about what other changes I can expect.

It looks like I'll be on the Star (Aug 24, 2013, round-trip Seattle) and I'm a little concerned about the wear and tear on the Star. I sailed her many years ago, as I have on both the Grand and Golden...but it was my love of the Diamond Princess (Gem Class) that makes me think twice about how the Star is holding up.

I know that, overall, you can't find a bad Princess cruise...but the last cruise (Alaska, Golden in Sept 2008) that ship was a bit withered. Drawers that were wonky, etc. Anyone know when the last in-depth refurbishment happened on the Star?

Also...as an Elite CC member, the afternoon of embarkation, the Maitre d' would sometimes be seated in one of the dining rooms accepting "standing reservation" requests from Elite cruisers. Does that still happen? I like to make a standing rez (for example, the Amalfi, table for 4 each night at 8). Still possible?

I've heard the shows are now shorter, which I find odd, they were never that long to begin with...but...does that mean there are now three showings of a given show instead of two?

One odd question...I'm on a sugar-restricted diet and have (in the past) packed about three 2-liter bottles of Diet 7-Up (since the only diet offerings on Princess have caffeine)...although it sounds like they are really scanning bags for beverages, and I'd hate to end up with an embarrassing experience when my luggage is delivered.

If this thread stays active for a bit I know I'll have more questions...but, I'm excited to be back!

The DR is now closed for lunch on port days. :mad:

We always enjoyed going onto port then coming back onboard for lunch in the DR.

Last sailed the Star in June 12, she looked good.

Of course there is always the wear issues that can be found on any ship.

The MD is still available in one of the DR's on embarkation day, time/place will be listed in the latter.

The shorter shows are OK with us.

Thanks ColoCruiser... glad Star is holding up. Shame about the Port Days DR closure.

I wonder how they handle "scenic cruising" days in Alaska. The itinerary almost makes it appear that they consider it a "port"...so maybe the dining room will be open then.

Also...any info about whether soft drinks can be brought on board in baggage

Another change is that the Horizon Court Buffet is no longer open 24 hours a day. It shuts down at either 11pm or midnight, depending on the cruise. To make up for that, however, the International Cafe is now open 24 hours a day.

Thanks ColoCruiser... glad Star is holding up. Shame about the Port Days DR closure.

I wonder how they handle "scenic cruising" days in Alaska. The itinerary almost makes it appear that they consider it a "port"...so maybe the dining room will be open then.

Also...any info about whether soft drinks can be brought on board in baggage

I beleive the DR is open when cruising the Glaciers.

Of course that may change in the new season.

Thats the cruise we did from Seattle in June.

You can bring soft drinks/water by either carrying them onboard or in checked luggage, there is no issue with that.

I was on the same itinerary last year and the dining room was open for lunch most days. I'd have to look back at my Patters to be sure, but I think the only day it was closed was Skagway, when we were in port all day. For Juneau, we arrived at noon, but I'm pretty sure the dining room was open. In Ketchikan, we left around noon, and it was open. On the last day, you don't get into Victoria until evening, so the dining room is definitely open for lunch.

Not a problem bringing on soda. I've brought on Mountain Dew and Sobe on my last few cruises.

If the MDR is closed on port days (which was the case for our Hawaiian cruise in December), there are plenty of other choices -- the Horizon, the International cafe, the poolside grill and pizzeria.

Archived