Carnival Insurance a Rip Off??

elleusion

We have been looking into travel insurance other than CCL. We have always just agreed when PVP asked if we wanted it, not knowing anything else was available. Now we have been looking at a few different ones after using google for a couple hours. We think we found the one we want but I am shocked at the price difference and because of that am a little concerned. The old saying if it seems too good to be true than it isn't comes to my mind. Any way to know if what I am seeing is correct. The quote I was given was $50.00 for 3 of us and the coverage covers even more than CCL.

Elle

We have been looking into travel insurance other than CCL. We have always just agreed when PVP asked if we wanted it, not knowing anything else was available. Now we have been looking at a few different ones after using google for a couple hours. We think we found the one we want but I am shocked at the price difference and because of that am a little concerned. The old saying if it seems too good to be true than it isn't comes to my mind. Any way to know if what I am seeing is correct. The quote I was given was $50.00 for 3 of us and the coverage covers even more than CCL.

Elle

I never buy my insurance through Carnival. It's always more expensive. I usually pay $75-$150 depending on the cost of the cruise, etc.

$50 for 3 people seems very cheap.

We shopped around and agree. The online prices are less than the cruise line offers.

Ours were in the $70 per person range.

I agree that seems VERY cheap..I would be wary. I paid $167 for three people for my upcoming 7 day cruise.

Just because you found something less expensive than Carnival's insurance doesn't mean Carnival's is a "rip off" :rolleyes:

There are several companies that offer better deals HOWEVER we use Carnival's insurance because it covers everything from getting sick on the ship and having to see the nurse on a sea day to losing our luggage at the airport to having a broken leg in port and being flown to another hospital etc etc... flights, hotels, luggage, cruise, etc is covered. For us, Carnival works. For others, it may not. It's a personal choice.

Just because you found something less expensive than Carnival's insurance doesn't mean Carnival's is a "rip off" :rolleyes:

There are several companies that offer better deals HOWEVER we use Carnival's insurance because it covers everything from getting sick on the ship and having to see the nurse on a sea day to losing our luggage at the airport to having a broken leg in port and being flown to another hospital etc etc... flights, hotels, luggage, cruise, etc is covered. For us, Carnival works. For others, it may not. It's a personal choice.

Most reputable insurance policies would cover the same. Picking anything less would be foolish.

I don't think Carnivals insurance is a rip off at all. I've looked around online before and there are tons that are cheaper but it's the little things that they dont cover that get you. Some only cover you for cancelling for medical reasons before the cruise but only if you get sick, not an immediate family member. Most don't cover you if you lose your job. None but Carnivals will give you a future cruise credit even if you're denied by the insurance company for it being a non-covered reason. Sure, the cost is a little more but I've heard plenty of stories from fellow cruisers where they had to cancel because their boss says they cant get off and they got $0 back instead of at least getting a credit from Carnival... Others have had to go to a hospital in the ports and they had to pay the thousands of dollars up front instead of having the company work with them to pay for it before they even left the hospital.

Carnivals may be more expensive but its definitely worth it 99% of the time!!

On our last cruise, we had to fly home unexpectedly due to a death in the immediate family. Luckily for us, we had purchased trip insurance. The claim process was easy, quick, and fair. The insurance was purchased through a 3rd party website which we are using again for our upcoming trip.

I believe the rates are based on the age of the travelers as well as the total cost of the trip. Be sure when requesting the quote that you include your flight, hotel, etc. to get an accurate quote. The insurance premium was $64 for the 45 year old and $101 for the 64 year old and covered a trip cost of $1475.

Hope this helps.:)

I only put in $3000 for the trip so that could be why it was so inexpensive. I added $1000 and up'd the Medical so now it is at $75.00. By all means I did NOT intend for it to look like I was implying CCL was a Rip Off...but to me when you can compare something and see the exact same thing for half price it does seem as tho the company is not looking out for its customers in an appropriate way. JMHO ...Thanks All :)

Carnival's insurance is not a rip-off, however, the premium is the same for every traveler that purchases it. Therefore, Berkley (Carnival's carrier) is insuring healthy 20 year olds as well as unhealthy 70 year olds, each of whom is paying the same premium. In order to cover their bases the insurance company MUST charge enough to cover potential losses.

If you are a healthy 20 or 30 something, you will do better by looking into a 3rd party insurance that bases the premium on the cost of the trip, as well as the age of the traveler. If you are going with a 3rd party insurance, make sure to include ALL non-refundable costs (airfare, hotel, etc.) when calculating your trip cost.

For most of these insurance companies, the premiums go up in $500.00 increments. Therefore, if your trip costs $850.00, you might as well insure for $1,000.00 as you never know if you'll have unexpected, non-refundable expenses.

I know the terms of use for CC are kinda odd so I'll see if those goes through okay, but I always use insure my trip dot com (mash all the words together and insert a period at the appropriate place).

It's a great website for comparing prices and coverages from national reputable insurance companies. I've only had to place a claim once for my son who got sick on the ship. Quick easy and painless.

there is a poster here on CC, I think his handle is Ken076 , has posted great information about the world of travel insurance especially the medical portion and how it works. In case you didn't knnow MOST travel insurance is secondary medical insurance in that your medical insurance covers you first if they deny payment then travel insurance will kick in. And be advised, you almost always pay for service and then are reimbursed later.

Do a search about travel insurance, there is an abundance of information on this board. And FWIW, Carnivals is way overpriced for what you get and when looking at insurance companies, stick with national companies with A+ ratings. Good luck.

don't know if anyone else mentioned this(sorry didn't read on the replies-in a hurry here) but i wanted to add...

While it's true you can get insurance cheaper than Carnival but does the insurance you get does it include an "cancel for any reason plan"? Carnival's does....

Carnival's insurance is better if you are say 50+ due to it not based on your age but on your cruise fare. If you are under that age you probably come out cheaper getting it on your own. Most if they do have "cancel for any reason" policy is based on if you get it within a certain time frame of booking your cruise and it's an add-on. Some don't cover as much as Carnival's for medical expenses including evac....think Carnival's is like $100k where some is like up to $20k. Evacs cost more than $20k.

Personally, since i'm under the 50+ range i book independently but for my mom who is 50+ i grab the Carnival's. We made that mistake last time.

We didn't add insurance on until 6months b4 we cruised (we booked 1y in advance). Carnival's insurance for my mom would have been only like $109. She had a room by herself. She decided to go with the insurance we got since our was $120 for (2) my hubby and I. Her's was $145!:eek: It was due to her age.

So ask questions... research! research! Research :)

Happy Cruising

I only put in $3000 for the trip so that could be why it was so inexpensive. I added $1000 and up'd the Medical so now it is at $75.00. By all means I did NOT intend for it to look like I was implying CCL was a Rip Off...but to me when you can compare something and see the exact same thing for half price it does seem as tho the company is not looking out for its customers in an appropriate way. JMHO ...Thanks All :)

Well, when you make it part of the subject line it sure looks like an implication;). I always go through www.insuremytrip.com to find the policy that is right for us.

something is still not right. There is no way it can only cost $75 for 3 people with a $4000 cost

If your just buying Medical covrage and not the package plan then It could be that cheap.

I agree. It depends on the coverage and deductible. I quoted a trip for $3000 for 3 people and got quotes from $60-150. You have to compare the limits for medical, lost baggage, trip interruption (some policies don't cover this), etc. Then, you find one that meets your needs. Most of them don't cover cancellation for ANY reason, but they will cover it for medical reasons (but check pre-existing clauses), sometimes they cover for work reasons or layoffs. I agree with whoever said that it's a personal decision based on your needs. I purchase 3rd party insurance because I think that Carnival's is too expensive for what you get. I personally prefer higher medical limits because we have a clumsy young child with health problems. When in Cancun last year, he fell off the bed and cut his head requiring stitches. Luckily, the resort we were staying at had a doctor on call. She came and sewed his head up right there! Way better than going to an ER in a foreign country. :cool:

Also remember You only need to insure for the non refundable amount of your cruise. Port taxes, Pre paid gratuities, Shore Excursion are refunded by the cruise line. You insure for the cost of the cruise itself not the total spent.

I was taught years ago never to buy insurance through the travel company you are using. Not to say that Carnival is going to go out of business but in case they close their doors unexpectedly your insurance is not worth anything from Carnival. It happened years ago with a big time travel company and people were stranded.

The main things to look at are the coverage amounts. (We purchased Travel Safe after hours of research.)

For example:

Medical Expense Coverage: Carnival = up to $10,000,

Travel Safe = up to $100,000

Emergency Evacuation: Carnival = up to $30,000

Travel Safe = up to $1,000,000 plus $25,000 for

non-medical evacuation.

These are the two most important factors for us. Our health insurance sucks, so it's nice to know that we have a lot of coverage in case of emergency. Cancelling for illness or death, including those of family members, trip interruption, trip delay and lost baggage are comparable.

We are both over 50 and paid $156.00. I have no idea how much Carnival insurance costs.

Quick questions here. We have 4 people; DH is 67, I am 55, DS 23 and another DS 21. We have always purchased from the insure my trip website, but as DH gets older (he will be 68 by the time we cruise again and I will be 56), the rates have gone up. Can I just purchase the trip insurance through Carnival for DH and the rest of us go with the other website?

Quick questions here. We have 4 people; DH is 67, I am 55, DS 23 and another DS 21. We have always purchased from the insure my trip website, but as DH gets older (he will be 68 by the time we cruise again and I will be 56), the rates have gone up. Can I just purchase the trip insurance through Carnival for DH and the rest of us go with the other website?

You can.

Just be sure to check the coverage amounts between the insurance plans.

Also remember to look for the plan that is primary. The one's that have a little red 2 next to parts are secondary. So you have to prove your insurance won't cover you or if it does how much and then your trip insurance kicks in.

For me I like trip insurance that is primary coverage.

my 2 cents

Archived