Century sky suite Alaska or Paul Gauguin cat E window for 7 nt anniversary cruise?

trk_koa

We are celebrating our 25th this year and have house sitters all lined up. We have reserved a sky suite the first week of May sailing on the Century. Final payment isn't due for a couple weeks yet and we have gratuities included using the 123 promo. Haven't booked air yet.

The way this came about is my DH has business travel over our actual anniversary and some friends said they could farm sit/ house sit/ pet sit the first week of May, so we just looked for a cruise that was available that week. We live in Hawaii so Caribbean and Europe were excluded from the search. We have cruised Alaska 5 times before (Infinity twice, princess twice, royal once). We will have to overnight in a hotel on the way back due to airline schedules.

So yesterday we got a promo email from Paul Gauguin about a deal for residents of Hawaii (that never happens on any cruise line usually) so I called them this morning to get more information. For the same price as the sky suite on Century, we can get a category E (200 sq ft) window cabin for the 7 night Tahiti and Society Islands sailing the same week. Airfare is available at about 50% more.

We are having a bit of trouble deciding whether to change our plans. Never been on PG before, love X, love Alaska, love Pacific islands too. Always wanted to try a "luxury" line and want to see the South Pacific "someday". Alaska is easy and cheap since we don't do excursions there any more. We are Elite and the Sky Suite will help keep the bar bill and specialty coffee bill down. Never been on Century before. Like smaller ships. PG has included gratuities and beverages also.

Any words of advice?

I had a similar situation years ago had a suite on a Celebrity ship for Alaska and a 2 for 1 deal came for Crystal Harmony outside cabin with an oversize porthole for about the same price.

Well not sure how to describe the difference since I don't know you but;

if you have even owned a luxury car and oil change goes like this

Sometimes the salesman will swing by your house drop off his can and take yours in.

you bring your can in and get a factory loaner

you bring you can in and sit by a nice fireplace with free wifi and sip a complimentary cappuccino and you car is cleaned inside and out when they are done in a hour.

When we cruised Crystal a representative met us at the gate not baggage claim (this was pre 9/11) walked us down to baggage claim helped us get our luggage and had it rolled out to the bus waiting to take us to the ship.

Waiters and Bartenders knew you after the first day, and if you had a certain drink they would say gin and tonic with a twist sir.

They had appetizers in the bar before dinner and if you like a certain one they waiter would always stop by when they had a fresh plate.

The PG also includes most drinks just not premium ones so you don't need to worry too much.

Hands down Tahiti. ESPECIALLY if you have been to Alaska five times!!! We were just saying last night how much we'd love to go back to Tahiti!!! We really loved Huahine, and you must try the local specialty, poisson cru, essentially raw fish with lime juice and coconut milk, so delicious!!

If your cruise goes to Huahine, we booked an excursion on our own that toured the island, took us snorkeling, then a bbq lunch on a motu (esssentially a little outcropping in the lagoon) where we sat at picnic tables in the water to have our lunch--just heaven. Every island was spectacular. GO!!!!

We sailed the PG this past summer for our 20th anniversary. In addition to the incredible overall experience the PG does a very nice celebration for all honeymooners and anniversary celebrants.

We are big fans of Celebrity, but nothing compares to the PG in French Polynesia.

Wow. The results of this question are certainly definitive. We compared the numbers and the PG cruise is a bit more expensive but not that much more. Mostly it's the airfare. I am leaning toward PG, but DH is still on the fence. I have a message into our TA.

Thanks everyone!

Nancy

Unfortunately, air is not included for the Hawaii resident promo. The air packages are from LAX so it wouldn't make sense anyway since we can fly nonstop from Honolulu on Hawaiian.

We sat down and compared the costs and the PG trip will be about $800 more. Hoping for a TA OBC but haven't heard back from her yet.

BTW, the PG rep that I spoke with said that they know about their guests coming in on Hawaiian Airlines and there is only the one flight available for those of us from Hawaii. She said the ship would wait for us.

Is that for real? That is the part that makes me nervous and one of the questions I asked of the TA.

Archived