Progreso, Mexico! HELP!

Mcuni01

Going on my first cruise on the Triumph in 2 weeks and looking for things to do in Progreso. Me and my wife are beach people and when we go to Cozumel we will probably end up at Paradise Beach. As far Progreso we heard that the beaches are similar to Galveston, i've about Reef Resort Yucatan which seems ok, anyone got any feedback or any other options. Thanx!

Going on my first cruise on the Triumph in 2 weeks and looking for things to do in Progreso. Me and my wife are beach people and when we go to Cozumel we will probably end up at Paradise Beach. As far Progreso we heard that the beaches are similar to Galveston, i've about Reef Resort Yucatan which seems ok, anyone got any feedback or any other options. Thanx!

We have never been there, so I cannot give my opinion...BUT we have been to Paradise Beach a couple of times and LOVE it.:o:o:o

We were considering the Reef all inclusive handled by Autoprogreso, but they've changed their location to the Technotel. Here's the website:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/mx/technotel-beach.es.html?aid=307415

Not sure the beach is great, if you've been to Galveston the water is more brown than blue, so you know what to expect. It's Gulf water, not Caribbean.

Have a great cruise!

Susan

Here's some ideas...

Take the $2 bus tour. It's fun, especially on the open air 2nd deck.

There are beach massages.

Buddy's is a fun place to visit for lunch and drinks.

Some folks like to take the bus to Merita (about 30 minutes?).

Just chill out and wander around.

I like to say Progreso is a "wannabee" cruise port. They aren't really developed like some of the other popular ports in Mexico, but it's a fun place to spend an afternoon.

I simply love Progresso! We take the shuttle to the end of the pier. Walk around at the flea market, take the $2 bus ride around town(that is a must), go through the shops, stop at bars along the way and get a $1 corona and tequila shot (yes, $1 buys you a corona and a tequila shot), then end up on the beach. The water sure was a lot nicer than the waters of Galveston when I was there.

Plenty of beach on the Malecon. Le Saint Bonnet has good food. Buddy's is a little farther down the street. The farther you go the quiter it get.

AutoProgreso has dropped the Reef Club Tour. It is a shame. It was nice. They now visit another resort but reviews claim that it isn't as nice as Reef Yucatan.

Ditto to Buddy's..I would not do the Corona beach break, which is right by the end of the pier, not very pretty water at all..Last time there in Oct the double decker was $3...Time before that we took a private cab to Merida , which was nice. They did it for $70 total for 4 of us, where the ship bus tour was like $49 PP, and you can't drink beer on the bus, in the cab,whatever..You will be amazed at the water difference in Cozumel..

sany1638.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sany1664.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 3 weeks later...

We have beento Progres twice and used Autoprogresso both times. Great tour operator.

I reccomend doign the Uxmal tour. It's a full day but the ruins are great. You can actually climb the ruins and get some great photos. There is a short tour then you get about 30-45 minutes to explore for yourself.

What we loved about Autoprogresso is that it was much cheaper than the Carnival Tour and you can make a reservation online then pay when you get there. If you decide you don't want to go then you are not out anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done ship-sponsored excursions to Uxmal, Chitchen Itza, and Tulum. Check out the slideshows below.

They were all wonderful and worth the extra $$$ for peace of mind knowing the ship would be there waiting at the end of the day.

Happy Cruising!

• 2 months later...

I posted a thread about this too. I want to know about Technotel! We have little ones so would like to do a resort with beach and pool and food/drinks, so it looks like this is the best option? Does Carnival still do The Reef resort? We did it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The beach definitely wasn't like Cozumel, but a little prettier than Galveston when we were there. It looks like you will be one of the first ones back on the Triumph! Can't wait to hear about it! We will be on it July 1!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I were in Progresso last September and loved it. We were with a small group of friends and just walking around. We stumbled upon an American owned bar and they lured the men in with $1 beers and free tequila shot included. When we got in there, they just put the bottle of tequila on the bar with enough shot glasses for everyone and told us to drink up.

In addition, they had air conditioning and complimentary fresh chips, salsa and guacamole. We are heading back in November and can't wait to visit that place again.

And concerning the beach, it is WAY prettier than Galveston.

We stumbled upon an American owned bar

In addition, they had air conditioning and complimentary fresh chips, salsa and guacamole. We are heading back in November and can't wait to visit that place again..

Do you remember the name of the place, or what it was next to?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you remember the name of the place, or what it was next to?

I will ask my husband if he remembers tonight. It was a block or two from the market and I know the double-decker buses pass by it. And I remember it was yellow on the outside, I believe. I have a terrible memory....especially when free tequila is involved. ;) We can't wait to see the place again in November!

Archived