Back to Back cruise - What to do on embarkation day

Milano66

We will be on our first B2B cruise in November and I am trying to decide if we should stay onboard on embarkation day (i.e.at the end of the first cruise) or book a tour from the port of Civitavecchia for the day:). I read that lot of people like to stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship but I am curious as to how quiet the ship will be. We are booked in AQ but I am not sure if the pool and/or Persian garden will be open for us to uses. Which bars/restaurants will be open/closed. We like to sit and relax at Cafe al bacio but again not sure if that is an option. We will be sailing on the Silhouette. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sylvie

It is fun to sit where the passengers come on with a drink and see the expressions of those that think that they were the first on the ship or be the first in the buffet and get to be the first to mess up the food trays and have the choice of tables.

It all depends on what kind of trip you are taking. If you are there to see the sites, by all means, take advantage of the day & see Rome, there's too much to see in 1 day as it is.

If it is a port heavy trip, it might not be a bad idea to stay on board & relax.

DO keep in mind that you will be asked to stay & group somewhere for customs / new sea pass card , whatever. Just ask on board how that day will be handled.

We will be on our first B2B cruise in November and I am trying to decide if we should stay onboard on embarkation day (i.e.at the end of the first cruise) or book a tour from the port of Civitavecchia for the day:). I read that lot of people like to stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship but I am curious as to how quiet the ship will be. We are booked in AQ but I am not sure if the pool and/or Persian garden will be open for us to uses. Which bars/restaurants will be open/closed. We like to sit and relax at Cafe al bacio but again not sure if that is an option. We will be sailing on the Silhouette. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sylvie

We're doing a B2B on Reflection this October, and a lot of folks are talking about taking the bus and spending the day in Tarquinia between cruises. You might want to check on your Roll Call to see what other B2Bers will be doing or just setting up something yourself.

Since we will be staying there pre-cruise, we're just going to get off and stock up on our wine supply. ;)

We're doing a B2B on Reflection this October, and a lot of folks are talking about taking the bus and spending the day in Tarquinia between cruises. You might want to check on your Roll Call to see what other B2Bers will be doing or just setting up something yourself.

Since we will be staying there pre-cruise, we're just going to get off and stock up on our wine supply. ;)

We agree completely. We have done both in the past. I will say, we have been to Tarquina. It is a short train ride from the station and a lovely town. A nice place to enjoy lunch. It is also, however, nice to sit by the pool and enjoy the relaxing day while everyone else is rushing to head home or rushing to come on board. Hopefully you are staying in the same room for both legs. That makes it even easier. ENJOY

Our experience in Southampton:

The back to back changeover was really simple. we were told to report

to the Passport bar at 10am with our new seapass card (which were delivered to the cabin).At 10am we signed out with our old card, then signed in with our new one. we were asked to wait half an hour, then register our credit cards at guest services. we were given a transit card, which entitled us to a 'free' lunch in Bistro on 5. There were only 20 passengers doing the back to back, so the ship was very quiet until the next lot of pax boarded around 11.30!

We spent a lot of our time in Cafe Bacio during the changeover period, and the crew seemed to have plenty of time to chat to us, and then enjoyed our free lunch in Bistro on 5.

Richard

We agree completely. We have done both in the past. I will say, we have been to Tarquina. It is a short train ride from the station and a lovely town. A nice place to enjoy lunch. It is also, however, nice to sit by the pool and enjoy the relaxing day while everyone else is rushing to head home or rushing to come on board. Hopefully you are staying in the same room for both legs. That makes it even easier. ENJOY

I have been told that the train station is quite a bit of a distance from the town, and it would be advisable to take the bus instead -- about 1/2 hour, and it drops you off right at the town walls.

We have done both and have enjoyed both. It just depends on what you

like. If both cruises are port intensive, it is nice just to stay on board. We had a leisurely breakfast, spent a quiet morning in Cafe Baccio which was open, and took the opportunity to get some great pictures of an empty ship. If you want to visit someplace you have never been before, that is also a good option.

Archived