On board credits

Begete

I have seen many references to OBCs on these boards, but how does on acquire them?

Often via a Travel Agent or Cruise Line incentive. Whenever you book ask the person you book through if there are any incentives to book through them.

FG:)

I have seen many references to OBCs on these boards, but how does on acquire them?

Greetings

There are many ways to get OBC. Sometimes your TA will sweeten your cruise by adding some OBC, sometimes it is part of a special promotion being offered by Celebrity, and RCL shareholders may be entitled to "Shareholder Benefits" which give them OBC. You can also prepurchase OBC or gift OBC to a friend/loved one.

In general, OBC that is provided by Celebrity is non-refundable and OBC provided by your TA or purchased is refundable at the end of your cruise.

Good Sailing

Tom

If the price of my cabin drops substantially in the final days leading up to embarkation, and I politely call my TA to let them know that I know, might I reasonably expect Celebrity to offer us (via the TA) an OBC as a way of thanking us for booking early, at closer to full price?

On another thread, someone referred to that as more common in the past than it is now, but it does seem like it would be a fairly cheap way for Celebrity to make a nice gesture to their best customers.

Do note that this is my first cruise, so I may be naïve about such things. :) Also note that while we've had, on balance, a decent experience with our TA, we mostly used them for the abundance of airline miles they offered. They're not always well-informed.

OBCs from TAs vary wildly, depending on how much of their commission they are willing to share with you.

I have been on cruises where my fellow cruisers have had a fraction the OBC I received.

High volume TAs are usually more generous as they make more money overall and can afford to give a healthy OBC.

I suggest you shop around.

If the price of my cabin drops substantially in the final days leading up to embarkation, and I politely call my TA to let them know that I know, might I reasonably expect Celebrity to offer us (via the TA) an OBC as a way of thanking us for booking early, at closer to full price?

On another thread, someone referred to that as more common in the past than it is now, but it does seem like it would be a fairly cheap way for Celebrity to make a nice gesture to their best customers.

Do note that this is my first cruise, so I may be naïve about such things. :) Also note that while we've had, on balance, a decent experience with our TA, we mostly used them for the abundance of airline miles they offered. They're not always well-informed.

Greetings

Once final payment is made (usually 75 days prior to the cruise) it would be rare for Celebrity to provide any "rebate" for early booking. Cabin prices rise and fall depending on the number of cabins left. Early booking can be quite a bargain on a popular cruise. You also get 1st choice of cabins. If you choose to wait till the last minute, sometimes there's the possibility of a really cheap fare but you never know.

Good Sailing

Tom

A few examples, based on our Reflection cruise last week:

1. We paid for the cruise with a platinum American Express card. Amex has a program that Celebrity participates in, whereby pax get extras as a reward for paying for the cruise with that card; one of the extras was $300 in OBC.

2. We did a next cruise booking on Solstice a couple of years ago, and then applied the booking number to our Reflection booking when we decided on that particular cruise. In return for doing the next cruise booking while onboard Solstice, we got $100 OBC to use on Reflection. However, as it was not fully combinable with the Amex credit, the $100 was reduced to $50. (Fine with us, as a total of $350 is better than $100)

3. Our TA gave us an additional $50 OBC as a gift from her.

4. When we looked at our account on the TV on the 1st or 2nd day, it showed another credit of $60. Never did figure out what that was for though.

Archived