Missing the Boat and getting to GSC

signora

Is it possible to do this, i.e. get to GSC privately from the States? I am just seeing light snow in the forecast for Saturday, take-off day for us from Boston, but the way things have been going, with 2 feet dumped on us yesterday...Anyway, I always plan for the worst-case scenario. I know I would have to call NCL in the event of a serious delay but I was just wondering if anyone heard of people catching up with the ship at GSC.

"Although it is physically possible to get to GSC via private boat, I seriously doubt you would be permitted to board the ship this way, as there are no facilities for documentation and security there."

Good point. If we can't get out Saturday, I'm looking into catching up with the ship in Jamaica (not until Wednesday)--so hopefully getting to Jamaica on Sunday and spending a few days at an all-inclusive (next best thing to a cruise ship?) waiting for the ship. This whole plan will hopefully come to nothing and we'll make the ship on Saturday as planned but it makes me feel better to have a back-up.

Is it possible to do this, i.e. get to GSC privately from the States? I am just seeing light snow in the forecast for Saturday, take-off day for us from Boston, but the way things have been going, with 2 feet dumped on us yesterday...Anyway, I always plan for the worst-case scenario. I know I would have to call NCL in the event of a serious delay but I was just wondering if anyone heard of people catching up with the ship at GSC.

Can't you change your flight? It's probably cheaper!

Can't you change your flight? It's probably cheaper!

That's what I would do. Fly down the day before & stay in a hotel near the port. Less stress.

We're flying to Tampa the day before our April cruise. Although we don't anticipate any blizzards then, there's always the chance of some delay.

I would check with NCL well in advance as there may be technicalities in each port that could restrict you from boarding part way into the cruise. I would be interested in seeing what they say. About 10 years ago, a friend who was traveling with us had an issue that he thought might prevent him from boarding the cruise on day 1. He called the cruise line, in hopes he could fly to the first port and board and he was told no. I don't know the reason. Could it have been because it was shortly after 9/11? Good luck!

That's what I would do. Fly down the day before & stay in a hotel near the port. Less stress.

We're flying to Tampa the day before our April cruise. Although we don't anticipate any blizzards then, there's always the chance of some delay.

Saturday is the day before! It being vacation week, there's nothing on American on Sunday that would get us to the ship on time (I'm getting married in the morning, tralala...!) And, as a teacher, I'm not allowed to take off the Friday before vacation. Now I'm looking into the cheapest flight on Jet Blue, one way, on Sunday, the day the Pearl leaves. But I really can't do anything yet: Sunday could be snowed in as well. I just have to have several options spinning in my head at once and try not to bite my nails. Crazy.

Oh C'mon Guys: is there really an airport on GSC? (I know I'm gullible).

Even you could the cost of hiring a private charter to run you out to GSC would cost as much as the cruise LOL

Don't sweat it..........try and leave on Friday;)

Saturday is the day before! It being vacation week, there's nothing on American on Sunday that would get us to the ship on time (I'm getting married in the morning, tralala...!) And, as a teacher, I'm not allowed to take off the Friday before vacation. Now I'm looking into the cheapest flight on Jet Blue, one way, on Sunday, the day the Pearl leaves. But I really can't do anything yet: Sunday could be snowed in as well. I just have to have several options spinning in my head at once and try not to bite my nails. Crazy.

Airlines will let you rebook your flight at the same fare with no penalties if there is impending bad weather moving in. The only problem is you may have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday before the airlines may allow this, but in the past American was very accommodating to me when I was in this situation.

So...What about late Friday night?

There is an airport on Great Harbour Cay, which is next to GSC. It's pretty much a civil airstrip, not what you would think of as an airport. ;)

There are 15+ Friday evening flights from BOS to MIA/FLL/PBI. Could you fly out after school?

Not unless she wants to miss her own wedding! See the bolded green in the quote above. :)

To the OP: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

While flying out of Maine we missed the boat in NYC: had to stay over night in NYC and then flew to St. Thomas and waited for our ship to catch up: Great motel! ( 2 days); We did look sort of 'looney" carrying our heavy winter jackets while waiting at the dock in St. Thomas;) This is why we always buy trip INS>

I would check and see if you can initially board from a foreign port. You can get left behind at a port and reboard at the next, but now I wonder if you can even do an initial boarding. St. Thomas, being US, may be an exception. Have no clue, but interesting thought.

You might think about taking train to NYC and fly by JetBlue from JFK...

Good luck!

Archived