What does N/A mean

I saw some posts regarding price drops on some cruises and thought I would check out the ones I have booked. When I looked at the Aug 31, Explorer to NE/Canada on the RC website, the whole cruise came up N/A. Does anyone know if that means it is sold out? They wouldn't have cancelled it without notifying us, right?????:confused:

I just tried to see your cruise and also got the N/A. I am thinking it could be possible that someone has chartered the ship that week. I suggest you call RCCL and find out if this is a computer error or something else. It does seem early for the whole ship to be sold. I hope you will share with us what you find out.

Yep, for previous cruises that have shown up N/A for the entire ship, most of the time it means the ship has been chartered. Do a google search for the date and name of ship. If it's a charter, there should be a hit for group chartering it.

Thanks BND I'll try that. I just called RC and they said that the remainder of the ship has been booked by a large group. They said it would not effect my reservation. Keeping my fingers crossed. Has anyone been "bumped" from a cruise in this type of situation. Funny I always thought that once you reserved it, you were set.

They wouldn't have cancelled it without notifying us, right?????:confused:

Unfortunately, wrong.:mad: I've had 2 RCCL cruises cancelled and where did I find out? Right here on CC! The RCCL reps, as usual had no clue the sailings were cancelled and I received the usual various responses depending on who picked up the phone. I used a travel agent at the time and I had to tell them both sailings were cancelled, as even they weren't made aware.

I saw some posts regarding price drops on some cruises and thought I would check out the ones I have booked. When I looked at the Aug 31, Explorer to NE/Canada on the RC website, the whole cruise came up N/A. Does anyone know if that means it is sold out? They wouldn't have cancelled it without notifying us, right?????:confused:

When you see N/A it can mean that they are doing inventory maintenance.

We have 2 cruises booked in October on Serenade. On Friday, they were listed as N/A all day. Yesterday, they reappeared with a price increase.:(

Yep, for previous cruises that have shown up N/A for the entire ship, most of the time it means the ship has been chartered. Do a google search for the date and name of ship. If it's a charter, there should be a hit for group chartering it.

Chartering is one thing that can happen, but there are others. Several years ago, we booked Serenade over a year in advance. The next month, while doing my normal check for price drops, everything showed as "NA". I waited a couple of days, thinking it was just the website. But, my next check showed our cruise and the one immediately after as NA. When we called RC, the reps claimed it was "inventory management". Turns out, RC had unexpectedly decided to schedule the ship for dry-dock during that two week period -- but RC stalled for weeks, before notifying the previously booked passengers. :mad:

Fortunately, we, and the six friends we were sailing with, were all able to move our cruise to a later date. But, to the OP: I would definitely call (or have your TA call) RC, and keep calling until you get a straight answer!

Chartering is one thing that can happen, but there are others. Several years ago, we booked Serenade over a year in advance. The next month, while doing my normal check for price drops, everything showed as "NA". I waited a couple of days, thinking it was just the website. But, my next check showed our cruise and the one immediately after as NA. When we called RC, the reps claimed it was "inventory management". Turns out, RC had unexpectedly decided to schedule the ship for dry-dock during that two week period -- but RC stalled for weeks, before notifying the previously booked passengers. :mad:

Fortunately, we, and the six friends we were sailing with, were all able to move our cruise to a later date. But, to the OP: I would definitely call (or have your TA call) RC, and keep calling until you get a straight answer!

I understand that. I actually went back to edit, but my browser was locked up and I couldn't get back in time. What I wanted to add was that ships show up N/A when sold out when close to a cruise, but months out, it usually means something else. Drydock is the other reason. Regardless, an entire ship showing N/A months out, is never a good thing.

OP, even with your situation of a large group booking, it might not be the cruise you were expecting. Assuming that's the real story. Large groups tend to take over normally public spaces for their events. You need to find out who the group is and still google, because it still could be the entire ship was chartered and they aren't telling people yet.

For drydocks, more than one cruise is affected, generally 2-3 weeks worth.

I did try google and what came up were travel agencies advertising for the cruise. Actually when I looked at their site, they were still recruiting clients for the date of the cruise. I didn't go any further than their home page, though, but they did have prices, etc for that date. I called my TA but off today. Oh well. I can't panic yet. I'll have to focus on my May cruise today. But would be really disappointed because I have never cruised New England and Canada and was really excited. Thanks for all the replies.

Im assuming it means Not Available

@Mygrace777 - Random question but I noticed you were on the same cruise as me (Majesty of the Seas, May 31 2004) and I have been conducting a long yet futile search for the cruise-in-review DVD from that cruise that I lost a little while back and was wondering if there was any chance you had a copy? I would be forever grateful if you did and would be more than willing to pay more than the large amount they charge on the boat for those things! A long shot, I know, but worth a shot, let me know! Thanks!

Regardless, an entire ship showing N/A months out, is never a good thing.

Absolutely agree! Although Patti does make a good point -- sometimes "inventory maintenance" (N/A) is just that: inventory maintenance. And, we all know that nothing every happens quickly (or efficiently) on the RC website. :rolleyes: So, it's best to wait a day or two and check back, before panicking. :cool:

Dear Professor,

I am sorry to say that N/A means its non applicable and not available. If I got a N/A on my test I would be so upset:D. When a category shows N/A it means its fully booked. You may be able to call around different travel agencies who block rooms. As the sailing date nears you may or may not see your desired category open up so its best to "lock in" your category now in hopes the fare goes down and you get a fare decrease which can let you upgrade to another category.

Best Wishes,

Professor Emeritus Cruise Critic University

N/A can mean almost anything, doing inventory or cruise canceled or ship chartered or sold out or an itinerary change, or some other kind of change.

The only thing N/A means for sure is that it is not available to book at this moment.

The reason for showing N/A can be different in each situation.

When it is really just that they are doing inventory (the standard first reply commonly given if a customer calls to ask), it is usually back up showing as available again a day later, if not sooner.

For example, they did this a few weeks ago to Brilliance of the Seas for the May 14 cruise. People were given all sorts of different stories when they called to ask about it.

First it was showing N/A for all categories for a few days. Then the cruise disappeared completely.

Finally it turned out in fact to be an itinerary change.

They shortened the cruise by one day, eliminated one port, changed the departure date to May 15, changed the departure port, and then it was back up online available for booking again.

The OP said when he called RCI they told him that a large group had booked the rest which is more of an answer than they usually give, but that said, he didn't get the "maintenance" answer that people get getting hung up on.

I did try google and what came up were travel agencies advertising for the cruise. Actually when I looked at their site, they were still recruiting clients for the date of the cruise. I didn't go any further than their home page, though, but they did have prices, etc for that date. I called my TA but off today. Oh well. I can't panic yet. I'll have to focus on my May cruise today. But would be really disappointed because I have never cruised New England and Canada and was really excited. Thanks for all the replies.

If you booked through a TA, you definitely should have them get to the bottom of this, ASAP. If it's because a large group suddenly booked all the remaining cabins this far in advance, you need to consider what kind of impact that could have on your cruise. And, if that turns out not to be the case, you really need to have you TA find out what IS going on with that cruise.

I am glad you have received at least some answers, but like others I would do whatever it takes to find out WHO the group is. There are some groups you may not enjoy sailing with, that may be offensive to you, or may dominate the ship and it's public spaces. Good luck and I hope things work out well for you"

Archived