Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Most cruise ships average 104% capacity (which is based on double occupancy). If you have sailed when school is out, you would have found more like 110% to 116%. I have sailed on the Allure of the Seas in the summer with over 6300 passengers, where double occupancy capacity is listed as 5400.

So, I don't know if anyone has brought this up(too many pages to read), but what about the people traveling with birth certificates, how on earth are they going to get to fly home from Mexico?

22 CFR 532 (Code of Federal Regulations) allows by subsections (9) and (10) for the Dept of State to waive the PP requirement in certain situations, one of them being an emergency as covered by Executive Order 13323.

Unclear whether this could even qualify as an emergency under EO 13323. Further research needs to be done.

This is why some of us (me and another) were asking if Carnival has said anything to the pax. I'm interested in knowing if they got or can get this waiver, and if not, just how much more of a delay it will mean for those poor pax who are already delayed from being home.

This thread is going to get several to the 5,000+ club

then everyone needs to behave bc if L has to pull it for misbehavior, everyone's posts will go "poof," lol.

Ok, they are 150 miles from land am I correct?

They are waiting for a tugboat, correct?

Now...let's digest my next question very carefully before anyone chews it up and spits it up...because there may just be some validity to it and I know the fine folks here at CC will let me know if that is so...

Why don't they just manually lower the lifeboats and go to shore?

Why not just leave enough crew onboard to wait for the tug and offload the pax to the lifeboats?

The lifeboats are motorized so who long would it take to reach shore?

If begun at 6am, it would still be light when they reach shore I would think.

I doubt anyone is sleeping anyway and the kids are probably desperate by now and I would think putting pax in a lifeboat would shut up most of the big mouths.

The pax of course could also voluntarily stay behind with crew and then take a slow tugboat ride into port on a smelly ship.

Ok, experts out there, go to town!:D

OMG, that makes sence. I wonder why they don't.

Seriously?????????????????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's also important to note the difference between a lifeboat and life raft.

The larger boats are tender style and have motors, etc but very limited navigation capability. I wouldn't want them to have to make a 150 mile trip in good conditions.

But even more important, those big oil drum looking things are life rafts and they provide quite a bit of emergency capacity. They do not have any propulsion at all, they are basically gigantic pool rafts with a tent cover, designed to hold a lot of people out of the water but not much else.

Odd note, what's the fuel range on a tender, anyone know?

Ok, they are 150 miles from land am I correct?

They are waiting for a tugboat, correct?

Now...let's digest my next question very carefully before anyone chews it up and spits it up...because there may just be some validity to it and I know the fine folks here at CC will let me know if that is so...

Why don't they just manually lower the lifeboats and go to shore?

Why not just leave enough crew onboard to wait for the tug and offload the pax to the lifeboats?

The lifeboats are motorized so who long would it take to reach shore?

If begun at 6am, it would still be light when they reach shore I would think.

I doubt anyone is sleeping anyway and the kids are probably desperate by now and I would think putting pax in a lifeboat would shut up most of the big mouths.

The pax of course could also voluntarily stay behind with crew and then take a slow tugboat ride into port on a smelly ship.

Ok, experts out there, go to town!:D

Our daughter-in-law just called her husband about 15 minutes ago. She said thee are no bathrooms working. She said they are using plastic bags and giving them to the crew. If there are some working she doesn't know about it.

my husband and I were scheduled to sail on the Triumph 2 weeks ago. they emailed us the night before to tell us one of the ships engine malfunctioned and they were departing with only one operational engine. We decided not to go on the cruise. Carnival knew they had a problem long before the fire occurred with their only ONE operational engine. Why are they not fixing their issues. its ridiculous to send a ship out into the gulf knowing there could be a potential disaster.:mad:

Are we to assume a full refund if you bailed was part of the email as well?

Our daughter-in-law just called her husband about 15 minutes ago. She said thee are no bathrooms working. She said they are using plastic bags and giving them to the crew. If there are some working she doesn't know about it.

I think someone may have been onto something up thread with the PR spin. Did Carnival ever say toilets specifically? Or just the sewage system? That's a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Based on my reading, this would qualify for a selective waiver, EO 13323 seems to define automatic grants. I don't think Carnival will say anything prior to getting an official response to the request from the appropriate departments and being advised what the procedure will be, which could take until tomorrow at least (I have no idea what level of management is needed to make the actual ruling).

I have no doubt a variance will be granted however.

22 CFR 532 (Code of Federal Regulations) allows by subsections (9) and (10) for the Dept of State to waive the PP requirement in certain situations, one of them being an emergency as covered by Executive Order 13323.

Unclear whether this could even qualify as an emergency under EO 13323. Further research needs to be done.

This is why some of us (me and another) were asking if Carnival has said anything to the pax. I'm interested in knowing if they got or can get this waiver, and if not, just how much more of a delay it will mean for those poor pax who are already delayed from being home.

Oh my...I feel so badly for all of them, it must be a horrible situation, and I cant imagine it.

You raise some good questions. Putting a ship in dry dock costs them hundreds of thousands (if not millions) for every week it is out of service. You can make parallels for the airline industry as well. Not sure what the right answer is, just some thoughts. Don't know that CCL does anything different than any others in terms of maintenance. I would think it is in their best interest to keep all of their ships in tip top shape (mechanical and otherwise). Just saying.....

Make that TENS OF MILLIONS per week.

Carnival (the corporation) will act upon the results of its insurance claim. If the insurers are generous, then the pax will benefit. If the insurers balk, the pax pay the price.

Micky Arison is all about the bottom line for shareholders. That is why the Concordia is still there, beached on its side. The insurers are calling the progress, or lack thereof. Had Costa been family owned, the hulk would be Tata cars by now.

how does this all work, does carnival book and pay for everyone's flights? or do you have to book and pay for your own and then submit for reimbursement?

And what happens if you dont have a passport??

The concensus is that passports probably won't be an issue as the US authorities will likely waive that requirement in a case like this.

I would be surprised if CCL did not arrange for transportation back to Galveston. Someone with relatives onboard posted they heard CCL would arrange flights to Houston and then buses to Galveston. But nothing definite yet.

The last report I saw said "As of late morning some public and cabin toilets were operational."

Carnivals press site is being hammered so I can't pull up the latest statement to get exact wording.

I think someone may have been onto something up thread with the PR spin. Did Carnival ever say toilets specifically? Or just the sewage system? That's a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know they've addressed compensation to the passengers - I seriously hope they're planning appropriate compensation for the crew!! I wouldn't want to have to be using plastic bags, but I sure wouldn't want to be handed them either. This just sounds miserable all around. :(

Are we to assume a full refund if you bailed was part of the email as well?

I hope they did.

My cousins are supposed to be on today's sailing and they are obviously not going. Carnival is giving them full refund.

What's funny is, my cousins managed to fly out of Philly/NJ, amid Nemo threat, only to get into this mess. This cruise is just not meant to be for them. They were so excited they managed to fly out they didn't check their emails carefully. They only found out today after they got to the port. They must have been the only ones! But yes, Carnival is providing full refund.

Based on my reading, this would qualify for a selective waiver, EO 13323 seems to define automatic grants. I don't think Carnival will say anything prior to getting an official response to the request from the appropriate departments and being advised what the procedure will be, which could take until tomorrow at least (I have no idea what level of management is needed to make the actual ruling).

I have no doubt a variance will be granted however.

I really hope so. They will have been through enough. Families with kids, I bet a lot of the kids don't have them. *Fingers crossed* for them

They said the forward sewage system was repaired. Some folks here took that to mean toilets, but that may have been an optimistic reading.

Even once the toilets flush again, they may be backed up and/or filthy for a period of time.

Finally got in. As of 11:25 AM EST per Carnival's official release'

"Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship"

The word toilet was in fact specifically used.

The last report I saw said "As of late morning some public and cabin toilets were operational."

Carnivals press site is being hammered so I can't pull up the latest statement to get exact wording.

So sorry to hear that. You are now the fourth different person who has reported this. When the first one did, they were flamed by numerous people saying they were lying - that Carnival said bathrooms were wroking so it must be so.

One poster even said - why would Carnival lie. As I responded then - public relations spin

Now that we have four different independent reports from people actually on the ship contacting loved ones that the bathrooms are still not working, it is clear you can not believe the Carnival PR

Check out opensecrets dot com and Micky Arison's campaign contributions.

The passport requirements will be waived. I don't think that opensecrets even takes into account courtside Heat tickets.

Archived