Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

...its got breaks... its broken now! ;)

Ok, I meant the triumph has no breaks with propulsion being down which would be another reason another ship could not tow her safely alone. Sorry for any confusion. My point is that Amy single ship, Legend, tug or otherwise could only get her moving but not safely tow her due to lack of directional controll.

It's just not like pullin a trailer.

And thats your choice. I have been in many foreign countries and have never had one problem. Because you had a problem doesn't mean someone else will. Yes I was in the military but have also traveled non-military.

Hence the reason used the word "I" and not "everyone".

And while no, me having a problem doesn't have a correlation or causation to other people Someone, somewhere will have a passport issue, probably one person every day! My experience was that was an extremely expensive and difficult situation to deal with.

In the case of the TRiumph, it is probably neither Expensive nor difficult for the passengers because it is such a large group and an emergent situation (I speak only of dealing with entering the country w/out a pp, I suspect the entire affair is both expensive and difficult for the passengers.

I don't think there is anything wrong or even risky with doing the cl cruise with out a pp...I just won't because of my personal experience. And it's ok for everyone to evaluate their risk level and comfort with that level differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just tossing this out there:

In the face of this, Carnival will obviously still want people to book cruises for the rest of the year...so as a result, does anyone think their prices might go down for a while?

For those of us with cruises booked later this year, what about those prices decreasing in the meantime?

I am no expert, however, I do know you cannot tow a ship of that size that is completely disabled with only one other vessel regardless of the size. Mostly because of directional controll or lack thereof. Cruise ships at broadside have massive amounts of sail area and are greatly impacted by wind.

If you were on the bridge for any length of time you would be surprised how often it is not "rudder amidships" and just how much "steering" must be done to compensate for wind, drift and current.

Not to mention the no brakes factor.

This happens in the Great Lakes every day. Tugs tow gigantic disabled freighters on a regular basis.

At least two other Carnival cruise ships have been diverted to the Triumph to leave supplies.

Why could not one of those ship tow Triumph. Bigger, faster and more power than tug boats, and was there before tug boats.

Not more towing power.

Lifeboats. I was on an aircraft carrier in the Navy. We would anchor out in the Med and take the ships small boats ashore. It would be no different than tendering. Ever been stuck on a ship dead in the water? It sucks.

Could the lifeboats reach 120 miles to shore??

Sorry to say... better change your itinerary. It takes about 2 weeks to change an engine AFTER arriving at dry dock. (change and shake-down)

I try to tell people this earlier and was rebuffed. The engine will also have to be built, it's not like they keep spares sitting on the shelf. Then it will need to be transported. I expect that this is a minimum three month process.

Next time you on on a cruise ship, go find a tow bitt with bollard pull strong enough to hook up a tow line, witch they don't have anyway. You wont. Cruise ship nor the crew aren't made, equipped nor trained for towing.

The Triumph is probably being towed with 2000 or more feet of cable hooked to a towing machine on the tug. Its probably secured to the Triumphs anchor chain either singularly or via a bridle. One tug can absolutely tow a vessel this size, its done every day somewhere in the world. Look at the picture infact.....The other tug onscene can be used to stop it. The ships rudders can manually be put to amidships and the vessel will track the towline. When the tow gets to the vicinity of Mobile, more tugs will be brought along side, the tow will be shortened, and the ship will be towed up the 20 mile Mobile ship channel and moor it. This operation, again happens all the time in every port.

Thats why their called professional mariners and your called passengers!!

billd

I was looking up one of the Tug boats (Resolve Pioneer) that is on its way to Triumph.

It's a big monster. Here are some of it's stats ...(http://www.resolveservices.com/pdf/Vessels/Resolve%20Pioneer.pdf).

It looks like it would be towing at around 4-5mph.

Last known location looks like it's on its way to the Triumph (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=367303490&zoom=10&olddate=lastknown).

Can't find anything info about the Dabhol tow and steer.

At least two other Carnival cruise ships have been diverted to the Triumph to leave supplies.

Why could not one of those ship tow Triumph. Bigger, faster and more power than tug boats, and was there before tug boats.

1. Neither of the relief vessels were built or are equipped to tow.
  2. Both need more power just to move themselves, may not have enough left over for another ship
  3. Towing a ship involves different physics than propelling it. The top safe tow speed is typically much lower than the cruise speed of the vessel being towed.
  4. Since Triumph has limited ability to steer more than one tow vessel is likely needed
  5. Using a cruise ship to tow would impact the passengers on or booked to be on it.

Next time you on on a cruise ship, go find a tow bitt with bollard pull strong enough to hook up a tow line, witch they don't have anyway. You wont. Cruise ship nor the crew aren't made, equipped nor trained for towing.

The Triumph is probably being towed with 2000 or more feet of cable hooked to a towing machine on the tug. Its probably secured to the Triumphs anchor chain either singularly or via a bridle. One tug can absolutely tow a vessel this size, its done every day somewhere in the world. Look at the picture infact.....The other tug onscene can be used to stop it. The ships rudders can manually be put to amidships and the vessel will track the towline. When the tow gets to the vicinity of Mobile, more tugs will be brought along side, the tow will be shortened, and the ship will be towed up the 20 mile Mobile ship channel and moor it. This operation, again happens all the time in every port.

Thats why their called professional mariners and your called passengers!!

billd

Thank You!

One of the few posts on this thread that I am confident is true

Archived