Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']And the conditions are partially the fault of passengers urinating on the floors, some in public areas. How SICK!! Same with food hoarding. Because of this, others don't get much but undesireable leftovers, then they report home there's no food. One family reports she had water and a peanutbutter sandwich as her "daily ration", How could TONS of food being delivered reduced to a peanutbutter sandwich? So this is how it gets reported to the media?[/QUOTE]

I really doubt that people were urinating on the floors in public areas. What is more likely is that people would use the showers or toilets to pee in even after being told not to. With the system not running correctly, gravity will take over and it will start overflowing, likely in the cabins and then from the cabins, it flows outside the room. I have a hard time thinking a group of civilized people would devolve in only a couple of days to pissing on the carpet and walls in the hallway.

[quote name='CruisenFunToo']The convoy is approximately 160 nautical miles from port, on track to arrive at the Mobile dock approximately between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Thursday.

The Triumph is expected to navigate the "safety fairway," or the corridor into Mobile Bay, late Wednesday night, bringing it around 8 a.m. Thursday to the point where a pilot from the Port of Mobile will board the ship and guide it to dock.[/QUOTE]

Good info, thanks.

[quote name='Jimsgirl']I am STILL HERE!

87 tomorrow, survived London Blitz, (East End Dockland ) V1's ( "Doodlebugs") and V2's. Worked in office by day, nursed in hospitals, Air raid shelters by night and manned ambulances carrying wounded service men at weekends. Later drove 3 ton trucks in Womens Royal Air Force, then was a military wife for over 30 years.

Will be on Cunard QE in three weeks time, 2014 is still a matter for thought, the spirit is willing but confess body is feeling its age.

I am sorry for the passengers on Triumph, sure there are quite a few not behaving well.

What caused the problem? I do not think we will ever get the true story, just that the spin doctor tells us, but: -

"If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks and behaves like a duck , then it is 99% likely to be a duck."[/quote]

Like!!!!

[quote name='Rasvar']I really doubt that people were urinating on the floors in public areas. What is more likely is that people would use the showers or toilets to pee in even after being told not to. With the system running correctly, gravity will take over and it will start overflowing, likely in the cabins and then from the cabins, it flows outside the room. I have a hard time thinking a group of civilized people would devolve in only a couple of days to pissing on the carpet and walls in the hallway.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Aquahound']Federal laws prevent a foreign flagged ship from being able to do that.[/quote]

I doubt the law would be applied in an emergency situation which this could be described as.

Not that I think transferring passengers to save a few hours added discomfort is anywhere near worth the risk inherent in such transfers. Clearly the on scene experts don't think it worth the risk.

So all the talk about what they are and aren't eating,

What no Spam?

And what are they going to eat today, it is Ash Wednesday, no meat, and should fast today.

When/if you go to church today, lets all add a prayer for those on the ship, and their families back home worrying about them.

Have a nice day

Ive dealt with hysteria in mass casualty situations

First I would make sure whoever I am traveling with is safe than I would be assisting the elderly or others with limited mobility issues to safety.

Any one injured I would be helping them as well. Thats who I am.

Basic triage. Make sure everyone is out of imminent danger; pass on the ones who are going to die regardless and the ones who will survive without your help; and concentrate on the ones who can be saved with your help.

I've been on MCI scenes as well, not by choice. :rolleyes:

Ive dealt with hysteria in mass casualty situations

First I would make sure whoever I am traveling with is safe than I would be assisting the elderly or others with limited mobility issues to safety.

Any one injured I would be helping them as well. Thats who I am.

Hubby and I are the same. We were both raised in areas that see their share of natural disasters; as long as yours are ok, you make sure the neighbors are ok, and others who need more help than you do, etc.

Thankfully, in most events, the majority are like us.

I am sailing on her (hopefully) March 30th. On our roll call we now have posters commenting that we should run for the hills and they are not even booked on our cruise. Really wish the speculations would cease and we try to keep some common sense on this thread and others.

If it's free they will cruise again.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I was offered a free cruise on RCCL and turned it down after the poor experience I had the first time I cruised with them.

I had several bad incidents with United, one broke the proverbial camels back. I donated the 100K+ miles I had with them to charity and haven't flown them since 1990. I've since flown over a million miles on their competitor.

I had an issue with a WalMart manager in 2004 after slipping on spilled laundry detergent and being accused of trying to stage the fall. (NOT!) I haven't stepped foot in one since.

I had two serious problems with Sears within three months of each other in 1997/8--one was identity theft by one of their employees, I can't recall what the other was, something to do with a bad repair job on my car. I haven't shopped there since.

Yes, some people will take anything they think is "free" but most of us are smart enough to realize that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm going by what I understand here, so I'm not saying to take this as gospel word.

All cruise ships have a definite number of "souls" that they can accommodate. That number is determined by the seats on the life boats. I believe that they need to have 125% of the seats that they need in order to take into account the possibility of some not working, families not splitting up, some boats leaving not 100% full, etc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are probably correct! Carnival would not want another Titanic on their hands.

I am STILL HERE!

87 tomorrow, survived London Blitz, (East End Dockland ) V1's ( "Doodlebugs") and V2's. Worked in office by day, nursed in hospitals, Air raid shelters by night and manned ambulances carrying wounded service men at weekends. Later drove 3 ton trucks in Womens Royal Air Force, then was a military wife for over 30 years.

Will be on Cunard QE in three weeks time, 2014 is still a matter for thought, the spirit is willing but confess body is feeling its age.

I am sorry for the passengers on Triumph, sure there are quite a few not behaving well.

What caused the problem? I do not think we will ever get the true story, just that the spin doctor tells us, but: -

"If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks and behaves like a duck , then it is 99% likely to be a duck."

Happy early birthday, and thank you for your service!

forgive me if i am wrong but doesn't the eventual shipworthiness fall to the captain to decide. if he thinks it is unsafe he just doesn't take it out. that's his job. if he bowed to the pressures of the ship's owner than he isn't up to his assigned job and should be relieved of his command. it's like a pilot of a plane flying equipment he deems unsafe. if the plane crashes and he knew it was unsafe to fly then the crash was his fault. no guts no glory, no guts suffer the consequences.

The company can determine that a ship isn't fit to sail, and the master of the vessel can't override that decision. However the master of the vessel can override the companies determination that a ship is fit to sail. (This is what was explained to us at dinner with the Captain when the conversation turned to the Concordia.)

I am sure the final decision to sail rests with the captain, but there were concerns regarding the ability to outrun or go around a storm given the ship did not have the 'horsepopwer' to accomplish this. This is a rumor, not saying this came from the bridge. The ship is a community, the officers have onboard girlfriends, I am just saying...

No the ship would be empty when it headed out to get the passengers from Triumph, the passengers that got delayed a day would be put up in a hotel for the night, just as has happend when a ship is delayed ariving for mechanical or weather problems, the point is they have a plan in place for when a ship is late coming by a day or two, and they could have used that emergency plan, and then used the empty ship as a "bus" to go out and get the passengers and crew (or part of the crew) off the broken ship.

It was just a thought, so everyone would be back on dry land, and not playing the wait and see if it gets worse game they are playing now.

But at this point lets hope it gets to shore safe and healthy, in the next day or two.

Just think, if they had used the Magic on Sunday as I discribed, all of the passengers would be back home by now, and the Magic passengers would be on the second day of their cruise, they (Magic passengers) could have gotten an OBC for the delay, and the Triumph passengers could have gotten a smaller discount on the future cruise, instead of all the extra costs being spent on the current triumph passengers at this point,

Also would have been a lot less PRESS involved, (BAD PRESS)

Gotcha! I thought you meant for the ships that dropped off supplies to take on the passengers and take them to a port. But then again you would have some very unhappy people if their cruise was disrupted to do a rescue! Its just a bad situation no matter what!

Archived