Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Sheesh! Watching the report on Fox News now. Drama drama drama.

The two Moms were on there repeating the details of conversations with their kids.

Seems like most of what's being reported is based on two day old first hand info from the ship, and the press releases from Carnival.

Why are you assuming that everyone is from that area? I don't know a single person in LA or TX who doesn't make at least a six figure income. I know one from each state who make seven figure incomes. (one is a commercial real estate developer and the other is a filmmaker)

. I know lots that make alot less especially the Nurses and teachers.

Or how about the servers at the local restaurant that make $5 an hr and have to make the rest up in tips.

Or what about the 350 Mcdonalds employees on this ship

While I agree that there are alot of cruisers that make more than $500 we are talking about a 4 night Carnival cruise not Regent seven seas or Oceania

My wife and I just got notification that our cruise on the Triumph on 3/30 was canceled which wasn't unexpected. I wonder if anyone has any insight into what the condition of the ship will be after they do all their repair/cleaning work? I was considering re-booking for the end of April but I'm somewhat concerned that the ship will have lingering cleanliness or smell issues. I would guess they'll have to replace all the carpeting and even the bedding. The last thing I want to do is take a vacation on a germ-factory. I'm not terribly concerned about the mechanical issues because I suspect those will be dealt with.

Of course I feel horrible for those on the ship right now and I recognize that we are in luxury right now compared to those on the ship. Hopefully they'll be able to get home quickly and uneventfully.

Great:rolleyes:

And I quote from a mother about her daughter telling her they are "lucky to be alive".

Another fine moment of CNN news journalism.

I guess that's sarcasm but ever since the Brazil nightclub fire I've been thinking long and hard about whether to book another cruise. I just have a feeling that something really bad is going to happen. So: lucky to be alive, yes. Fire is the worst thing that can happen.

First time poster here....I've been reading thru the posts regarding the Triumph.....probably want to change the name to that ship.....I was reading that they were 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan. Couldn't they have towed the ship back to Cozumel, and flown everyone back to their port of call?

Or how about the servers at the local restaurant that make $5 an hr and have to make the rest up in tips.

While I agree that there are alot of cruisers that make more than $500 we are talking about a 4 night Carnival cruise not Regent seven seas or Oceania

Actually those 4 night weekend cruises are usually more expensive than the 5 night cruises. I think that some people who have been talking about how cheap that cruise is may have been thinking of prices on Florida sailings. Galveston cruises always seem to be more expensive than anywhere else. We have driven to NOLA to cruise and paid less than we would have from sailing from Galveston on the same itinerary even taking into consideration gas and hotel.

Wow, that CANNOT be. They'll be taking the crews tips?!??! :eek: After they've been cleaning sh*t for days? Seriously? That is despicable. Maybe Carnival's CEO and high management need to shovel some sh*t for days and forfeit some of their million dollar bonuses.

I expect that Carnival will be paying the crew their tips; just not expecting the passengers to pay. The crew deserves a substantial reward for what they have been through- as bad as the situation is for the passengers, it must be considerably worse for the crew.

I think it's too early to jump to conclusions as to how Carnival will reimburse the crew. I can only hope they give them a considerable bonus in addition to their standard tips.

And no matter how miserable I was, I would definitely be leaving the crew an extra tip for their service, anyway.

So much to catch up on since I last looked at this thread at 6am.

Alls I can say is wow!

Now I have some new questions.

1. I wonder how it would be determined how people exit the ship. "Women and children first", or elderly, or families, or those in suites:mad:.

I don't think any of us can predict this, however I'd expect it would be anyone who will be leaving the scene in an ambulance or police car, then those with special needs/young children, and then by whatever their usual scheme is.

2. How will families find one another that are arriving to meet the ship.

No idea. When my husband used to run marathons there would be "meeting tents" grouped by a range of last initials so you would at least be in the right general vicinity.

3. What if I am on the ship and want a flight back to Galveston, and my DH is at the port with car waiting for me...........How will I find him.

Flight back to Galveston? It's going to be a bus back to Galveston, unless you want to overnight in NOLA. You'll have the opportunity to call him and tell him when to pick you up. I'm assuming he hasn't been sleeping in the car at the port waiting for you, but rather is at your house.

4. Will those tents on shore with medical personal have showers to help me freshen up.

Not unless you've been exposed to a toxic chemical, in which case you'll get a shower you'll never forget, complete with a fire hose.

5. Will their be police protection to help avert a mass riot.

I would assume there will be a large police presence to control the scene.

6. When and how will customs be inforced.

As it normally is. You'll get off the ship, claim bags, go through Customs. Those with passports should pass right through. Those without might have additional screening as this is no longer a closed loop cruise.

First time poster here....I've been reading thru the posts regarding the Triumph.....probably want to change the name to that ship.....I was reading that they were 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan. Couldn't they have towed the ship back to Cozumel, and flown everyone back to their port of call?

The original plan was to tow it back to Progresso, but by the time tugboats would reach the ship, it had drifted at least 90 miles north/northwest. Based on the currents/winds, it ended up that towing towards Mobile would take approximately the same time as a tow against the current back towards Progresso.

Sheesh! Watching the report on Fox News now. Drama drama drama.

The two Moms were on there repeating the details of conversations with their kids.

Seems like most of what's being reported is based on two day old first hand info from the ship, and the press releases from Carnival.

I've been thinking about a) if I had a kid on board and I was not there, in which case I would be out of my mind and b) if I had kids on board WITH ME in which case I would be ready for the nut house. Can you imagine trying to keep kids occupied, upbeat, fed, and not frightened? Here, honey, go pee on this bag? And can you imagine the sunburn right about now? I have five kids and we look forward to cruises- OMG. They would be seriously bummed out right now and I would have jumped overboard.

My wife and I just got notification that our cruise on the Triumph on 3/30 was canceled which wasn't unexpected. I wonder if anyone has any insight into what the condition of the ship will be after they do all their repair/cleaning work? I was considering re-booking for the end of April but I'm somewhat concerned that the ship will have lingering cleanliness or smell issues. I would guess they'll have to replace all the carpeting and even the bedding. The last thing I want to do is take a vacation on a germ-factory. I'm not terribly concerned about the mechanical issues because I suspect those will be dealt with.

Of course I feel horrible for those on the ship right now and I recognize that we are in luxury right now compared to those on the ship. Hopefully they'll be able to get home quickly and uneventfully.

i would bet that almost all of the soft surfaces will be replaced. as long as the carpet is in stock somewhere the removal and the laying of new carpet is a pretty fast proposition. since most of the cabins are exactly the same the carpet will be pre-cut off site and its installation will be pretty effortless. i've seen entire floors of major hotels done in less than a day (same principle). and i'm with you in thinking that all bedding and linens will be replaced. when the ship is ready to sail it will smell just like a new ship.

Looking forward to the CC reviews of this cruise. Hopefully, someone will post pictures that will either confirm or rebuff the stories of the conditions the passengers and crew are enduring. Triumph should be getting into cell phone range soon. There is quite a bit of cold rain falling from the mouth of the Mississippi across the Gulf to Pensacola....sleeping on deck might not be an option tonight.

You're telling me that teachers and nurses make under $15 an hour? I highly doubt that. I'm guessing that there are very few people on that ship who makes less than that. I live in a low wage area and even here anyone who can afford a cruise makes over $15 an hour.

Welcome!

I agree! Was thinking the exact same thing, but didnt post because Im sure it was covered in one of the over 3000 + posts to this thread. I am anxious for the passagers to jump on this thread when they return. Very scary, horrible experience, but Im glad eeryone seems to be OK. Gotta love the media. Watched the news this morning of a crowd on the top deck, looking out to the ocean (probably looking at all the media boats), casually holding the railing of the ship. Newscaster says "And the passengers are clinging to the railings" !!

Im sure in the Carnival cruise contract it covers their arses and they dont have to give a refund, a free cruise or the 500 bucks per person but they are. People will be calling Carnival and wanted them to pay their car payment and house payment for lost wages. People will also be suing for mental anguish. I understand some people save all year for their cruise, and im so sorry for those who are on Triumph but if missing 4 days pay would ruin us financially there is no way I would go. At least Carnival is doing what they are. After 911 and the volcano errupting that stopped air traffic, people missed work and wages and no one gave them compensation.

The issues of engine room failures and procedural errors (Concordia) by CCL certainly casts shadows over the safety procedures and policies in place and followed by this company whether real or imagined.

One possible way to deal with these issues and the PR problems that now overhang CCL would be to do a complete safety stand down on all vessels in the fleet. This would mean canceling cruises and a ship-by-ship and corporate wide review of policies, maintenance, and compliance.

This is not cheap but how many more or these incidents can be tolerated by the consumer before CCL becomes a "sail at your own risk" type of experience no matter what the compensation.

Actually those 4 night weekend cruises are usually more expensive than the 5 night cruises. I think that some people who have been talking about how cheap that cruise is may have been thinking of prices on Florida sailings. Galveston cruises always seem to be more expensive than anywhere else. We have driven to NOLA to cruise and paid less than we would have from sailing from Galveston on the same itinerary even taking into consideration gas and hotel.

I was actually surprised at the prices out oF Galveston being from Ca it was cheaper to fly to MIA/FLL. We have drivn to Nola for the same reasons

Archived