Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Carnival was probably getting annoyed at bedsheets being defaced though! And it is a lot easier to write ruder messages on those.

I caught flack earlier for even suggesting that these people should be charged for destroying someone else’s property. I think the evil people posting here would find it acceptable to start burning deck chairs for heat on the top deck!

I remember but thought it was HAL that owned Windstar and Carnival Corp gained it when they purchased HAL.

My comment was based on current umbrella

You On Windstar ?I heard they were good put pricey. Im not saying you couldnt afford it but with as passionate you are about CCL just a little surprised:confused:

HAL owned a 50% interest in Windstar when CCL acquired HAL. CCL sold Windstar about five years ago.

Some things to consider...

- Our troops in Afghanistan regularly go on patrols of 7 - 10 days or longer with no hot food or showers.

Not to demean what they do at all, but they know when they enlist that they will likely be living/working under difficult conditions.

On the Engine Room Fire:

- I have no knowledge of what happened but consider

- Most ships use a heavy fuel oil, commonly called "Bunker C" which has to be pre-heated before it can flow freely and be pumped to the injectors on the engines.

- Engine rooms have fire suppression systems designed to extinguish fires quickly.

- Two things had to happen for a major fire. (1) hot fuel escaping into the engine room and (2) the fire suppression system had to fail.

A hydraulic fluid leak would be another potential catalyst.

<applause> :):D:)

Just talked with someone on the ship. While conditions are DEPLORABLE, he does applaud the efforts of the crew to maintain the ship and keep the passengers sane. They (crew) have endured the same conditions as the passengers while trying to service those passengers with a smile on their face!

For those who are bashing Carnival....what would you do.

Yes, maybe they should have "taken down the ship" rather that take it out week after week......but once they had the fire - really, what would you do?

Would you risk passengers lives to try to offload them...well, you wouldn't have included me in that!

A number of passengers have remarked that there was a distinct difference in attention to clean up late yesterday or early today. Speculation seems to be that it was a result of Carnival brass coming aboard, or learning that the NTSB would be investigating. Even the most positive of passengers has commented that the ship now looks little like the conditions earlier in the week.

One can look at this as an attempt to make things look good for the inspectors. It also occurs to me that this could be a result of resources becoming available for the work. I doubt we will ever know why the difference. But it highlights the fact that it is very easy to see the basest of motives in any action.

Did you listen to the passenger a bit ago (or a couple others CNN aloowed on for a bit) who said the media (like some here) were building it up to be even worse than it was? Did you hear him say that a lot of the water was just that, water. Because sprinklers came on in certain areas when the fire happened? Did you hear him say water was restored 2 days ago? Or that they had 15 helo drops of food or that 4 other CCL ships dropped things off? Or that they got some grills working and there was grilled chicken and crab sandwiches yesterday and steak and lobster tonight?

Sure, there is no doubt it has been rougher on some people more than others and it has been a horrible situation. Especially those down low in an inside cabin. But I have heard several passengers say that they felt communications have been great and that CCL people had gone over and above to try and make a bad situation better.

But of course, the media, like some here, are going to find the worst cases and try to make it sound like it was the norm. One media lady on TV today even said people were just trying to stay alive. HUH? I bet when the ship arrives, the media will clutch on to anyone they can find that will have the most miserable stories and dismiss anyone that says it was sensationalized. Some posters here will do the same.

CNN especially, is a disgrace.

I have watched most of the afternoon. Most interviewed praised the crew and blasted Miami. I heard ONE person state that most was good. You're one of the biggest Carnival cheerleaders on this board. Another one of the John Heald sheeples gang.

Some posters seem to find this cruise so acceptable, that maybe Carnival should repeat conditionsand allow them to cruise JUST EXACTLY as these folkshave had to do.

Yes, suddenly, lobster for lunch. Where was it days ago if it's that easy to do? Just another indication of pathetic bungling by top management.

No one, by the way, "hates" a cruise line, anymore than one hates a shoe store or a grocery story.But you can "hate" the treatment you receive or you see others receiving.

Apparently some people here...if they bought a dog from a litter and it was vicious and mauled their child..would be satisfied of the kennel jist gave them another dog from the same litter.

Because you had some nice vacations, PEOPLE do not matter to you...just a corporation that YOU PAID to provide that service. You are enthralled,like Elvis groupies. Well, you paid for that service and so did THESE passengers. And they deserve more than being herded onto a bus like cattle to be droven to someplace where Carnival can save a few bucks.

That's not "hating" a corporation, that is CARING about people.

Go figure that when CNN starts talking to people we start seeing that it wasn't as bad as so many people in this thread wanted it to be. It sounds like people made the best of it and rallied together. Sorry for all the haters. I'm sure some people thought the worst, but look at normal cruise reviews. Overall people seem to have done good.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...do you really think people on this thread or Cruise Critic wanted conditions to be horrible?:confused:

The reports I've read today from passengers on the ship have been as varied as the passengers themselves. I think that's to be expected, and we'll continue to hear stories that cover the entire spectrum. I'm sure the experience for those in a suite or balcony cabin was very different from the experience for those who were in an inside cabin on one of the lower decks.

Likewise, age, mobility, and life experiences all impaced how passengers perceived and handled the events and conditions on board. The experience and the perspective of the passenger who is completely traumatized and has a long recovery from this is no more or less valid than that of the person who was able to take things in stride and "make the best of the situation."

Interview with passenger onboard on CNN now

Says conditions magically and dramatically improved today after word came that the US Coast Guard and the Nation Transportation Safety Board were sending people aboard the ship

I've heard about 4 different people say that now in interviews. One thing I can promise is, the USCG will be randomly interviewing passengers. If that is true, it will be addressed.

Passports weren't the only issue; the currents were a bigger issue, according to Carnival. The tow would have supposedly been more difficult to progreso because of currents.

Yet look at what is happening now. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but it seems that if they had gone to Progresso, people would be on their way home right now on those chartered jets.

Interview with passenger onboard on CNN now

Says conditions magically and dramatically improved today after word came that the US Coast Guard and the Nation Transportation Safety Board were sending people aboard the ship

And they dropped more supplies, etc. but, don’t let the details stand in your way of a good story.

I dont' think it is that surprising that the passengers are now getting better food. Yesterday the ship got a generator. Today they got more supplies. It's amazing what you can do if you actually have food and a way to cook it!

Another logical poster….you'll be flamed, for sure :D

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/carnival_triumph_passengers_no.html

-CCL said they expect the ship to arrive between 9:30pm and 12:30am

-It will be about 5 hours before pax are completely disembarked

-The Triumph has only one working elevator

-A woman was taken off the ship earlier today after she suffered a stroke

Looks like the decision to book rooms in NOLA isn't turning out so well... after getting off in the middle of the night pax will face a two hour bus ride.

Archived