Are we being snobs?? :)

Jamrenjer

I actually had to look up MIO on the Internet before I found out it was a flavoring for water. And only through the process of elimination because my first results for MIO was a provider for GPS for cars, a prepaid card to handle money, translated to 'my' or 'mine' in Italian or Spanish and a few other thing.

Thanks for the post.

Cos I'm with you & the waitress - never heard of the stuff.;)

JB :)

This is the first I have heard of MIO. Of all the strange things we've seen people do on cruise ships, this doesn't qualify in the top -10- list. :D

I admit ten years ago, I might have thought it very odd but things are very different today; society has changed at a rapid rate and just about anything goes these days.

We've been cruising so long we go back to when people DID share their wine with the table. Many, many times we were seated at a table for 6 or 8 and we rotated around that table nightly who would buy the wine for dinner that evening. If there was a non-wine drinker at the table, no one made a 'deal' about it. Anyone who didn't want wine politely declined without a fuss.

This is the first I have heard of MIO. Of all the strange things we've seen people do on cruise ships, this doesn't qualify in the top -10- list. :D

I admit ten years ago, I might have thought it very odd but things are very different today; society has changed at a rapid rate and just about anything goes these days.

We've been cruising so long we go back to when people DID share their wine with the table. Many, many times we were seated at a table for 6 or 8 and we rotated around that table nightly who would buy the wine for dinner that evening. If there was a non-wine drinker at the table, no one made a 'deal' about it. Anyone who didn't want wine politely declined without a fuss.

How nice. The days gone by when men acted like gentlemen, women like ladies and children behaved and listened to their parents. How I wish I had started cruising in those days.

I bring my own favorite tea bags to the MDR and ask fora tea cup of hot water after the meal so I can make my own special tea. I have discovered that while the waiters have a variety of tea offerings they usually don't have my preferred kind...sometimes they do.

Would some folks think I am being tacky or silly to use my own tea bags?

Not at all. As a fellow tea drinker, I know exactly what you mean.

I think it depends on the wine being ordered. If I'm ordering (or BYOB'ing) a high end bottle, I'm not likely to share with anyone other than a splash for the sommelier unless I know the people I'm seated with.

First of all, we are very thrifty (our kids say 'cheap'!:)), we do alot to save money to go on a cruise-- and to save money while we are on the cruise....but we have never seen this before: While eating in the MDR of a Princess ship, at the table near us-- the lady pulled from her purse MIO drops to flavor her water! It was bright red-- and she did not offer to any of the others sitting at their table. I just thought it was kind of tacky... to each their own, I guess... I can see at the buffet or in their room-- or in their own cups by the pool-- but to bring to dinner... even on formal night... the waitress, I believe from Slovenia or the Ukraine- asked her what it was-- as she had never seen anything like that... am I being a cruise snob? :)

I don't think it makes you a snob, but I do have to question why you would care where she drank it and why you would expect her to share???? My question to her, had she been sitting at my table, would be "Is that any good?" Having never purchased it before, my curiousity would get the better of me ;):D.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I think it depends on the wine being ordered. If I'm ordering (or BYOB'ing) a high end bottle, I'm not likely to share with anyone other than a splash for the sommelier unless I know the people I'm seated with.

It was a different, more gracious time in our society.

Most people who were cruising were not on a very strict budget and most knew it was common practice to share wine around the table if people happened to enjoy wine with dinner.

The prices were also relatively lower then as were the prices for all beverages.

It was an unusual circumstance for someone to order whatever wine it was they were drinking and NOT offer it to the table. Wine steward always asked upon receiving the order how many glasses he should bring. The common response was 'for the table'. If anyone did not want it, they declined quiet and politely.

We enjoyed many fine bottles and it was nice having the opportunity to have wines others at the table selected. It made for festive, pleasant dinners. :)

Edited by sail7seas

You are definitely being judgemental. And honestly, what she drinks is really none of your business and I don't get why you even care.

Her choice of beverage may not have anything to do with cost. It just plain may be what she prefers to drink and the cruise lines don't have it. I am this way. I don't drink much soda. Never really even cared for it as a kid. I have severe acid refux and despite being on Nexium AND Ranitidine, drinks like fruit juices will give me heartburn for hours. I occasionally will have a cocktail, but usual pay for it later. And I don't know why, but I just don't drink much water. My main sources of liquids are milk and grape propel. I know, picky picky picky, but that's me. If I don't keep propel on me, I usually get dehydrated. So I carry the little powder packets of propel when I travel, and I always have several in my purse.

My beverage preferences may be tacky, but they have nothing to do with money or being "cheap". Last cruise was a 7 day cruise and we spent enough on the cruise to earn 21 cruise days. You certainly can't say I'm cheap.

It was a different, more gracious time in our society.

Most people who were cruising were not on a very strict budget and most knew it was common practice to share wine around the table if people happened to enjoy wine with dinner.

The prices were also relatively lower then as were the prices for all beverages.

It was an unusual circumstance for someone to order whatever wine it was they were drinking and NOT offer it to the table. Wine steward always asked upon receiving the order how many glasses he should bring. The common response was 'for the table'. If anyone did not want it, they declined quiet and politely.

We enjoyed many fine bottles and it was nice having the opportunity to have wines others at the table selected. It made for festive, pleasant dinners. :)

Obviously if my table mates also order/bring a fine wine then of course it would be polite to offer to share. There's a big difference between that and being expected to share a bottle of Harlan with tablemates who order white zin.

When I'm dining with friends, I'm very generous with my wine. I always share even if I know it's not in their budget to reciprocate (I wouldn't expect them to do so!), but I'm not willing to do so with strangers.

Obviously if my table mates also order/bring a fine wine then of course it would be polite to offer to share. There's a big difference between that and being expected to share a bottle of Harlan with tablemates who order white zin.

When I'm dining with friends, I'm very generous with my wine. I always share even if I know it's not in their budget to reciprocate (I wouldn't expect them to do so!), but I'm not willing to do so with strangers.

I would never expect strangers to share anything at our table, even if it is a cheap bottle of wine. I find it odd that anyone would expect it, especially knowing some wines can cost a small fortune.

Thanks for the post.

Cos I'm with you & the waitress - never heard of the stuff.;)

JB :)

I too had to look it up; never heard of it. Now that I know, I can think of no way it would offend. Maybe you had to be there? Now if she insisted I use it in my water, that would be another thing.

Edited by jamessemaj

Funny, no one seems to ever want to share my MD 20/20 in the MDR. Guess I cruise with snobs. :rolleyes:

I was kinda thinking the same thing, maybe bring a couple of bottles of Boones Farm Apple wine, and sharing it with the table, while I drink my usual cans of beer.:rolleyes:

I don't think it's tacky at all. Tacky is going to a restaurant and ordering ice water, then asking for a bowl of lemon wedges to make your own lemonade--particularly when they have lemonade on the menu.

I see adding the Mio about the same as bringing your own sugar or salt substitute. If the cruise line offered Mio flavored water then it would be tacky. They don't, so it's not.

I have blood sugar issues and have asked for ice water and a couple of lemon wedges. They don't serve sugar free lemonade, so I just make it myself. I may not do it in the MDR though. Also, thinking about this mio thing now. Might bring some for the next cruise!

Precisely- try finding lapsing slouching on any but a Cunard ship, and even then it's often " out".

Lapsang Souchong is way too "heavy" for me. I like Irish Breakfast--very hard to find, so I usually end up with English Breakfast. The problem is that many carry the Lipton version, which is very bitter. Blech!

Originally Posted by Doug R. viewpost.gif

Funny, no one seems to ever want to share my MD 20/20 in the MDR. Guess I cruise with snobs. :rolleyes:

LOL. Do you carry it in a brown paper sack and drink directly from the bottle?

Only when I am walking around the ship. :cool:

Maybe I need to upgrade my wine to Thunderbird! :confused:

First of all, we are very thrifty (our kids say 'cheap'!:)), we do alot to save money to go on a cruise-- and to save money while we are on the cruise....but we have never seen this before: While eating in the MDR of a Princess ship, at the table near us-- the lady pulled from her purse MIO drops to flavor her water! It was bright red-- and she did not offer to any of the others sitting at their table. I just thought it was kind of tacky... to each their own, I guess... I can see at the buffet or in their room-- or in their own cups by the pool-- but to bring to dinner... even on formal night... the waitress, I believe from Slovenia or the Ukraine- asked her what it was-- as she had never seen anything like that... am I being a cruise snob? :)

Cruise snob is not the word that came to my mind.

You know whats even more tacky? You having any concern that someone added flavoring to their drink... I have have no idea why would you even take the time to write about it.

I was thinking exactly this when reading the OP. The poster mentioned being in a hurry when poster, which sends up a red flag that he thought many of us would be agreeing.

My daughter bought some MIO to flavor the water she brings to marching band practice. So I certainly have heard of it.

I would ask the waitstaff on cruises to bring me lemon slices for my salad. I squeeze a couple of them, drop another slice in my water glass, and then offer the plate to anyone else at the table. Haven't had one person look askance and usually my tablemates seem delighted at the offer. If someone thinks it's not appropriate, that's their problem. I would think it would be a breach of etiquette to point out someone bringing a flavoring or seasoning to a dining table.

Lapsang Souchong is way too "heavy" for me. I like Irish Breakfast--very hard to find, so I usually end up with English Breakfast. The problem is that many carry the Lipton version, which is very bitter. Blech!

I can often get Twinings Irish Breakfast at Publix.