Would You Purchase the Premium Drinks Package if Wine Choices were Better?

As my husband and I are both wine drinkers (no beer, no fancy cocktails) the package definitely has to offer better housewines. I don't understand why they not offer for example Castle Rock as a housewine. Both, white and red were really ok when we had it on Oasis with the wine-and-dine-package. It was not outstanding, but very drinkable!

It'a all about money. Castle Rock probably costs them $5 or more a bottle, and LaTerre is probably less than $1 a bottle.

Although Diamond here too, we'd definitely consider the package if it included better wine. It would mean that we wouldn't have to purchase the wine & dine package (which has changed to just one containing one selection of wines now) and the soda package.
it wouldn't be worth it to me on any ship with a Diamond Lounge. I never get the soda package, though.

My thoughts are they have the pricing set on everything directed at the once in a lifetime customer. Their staple is their repeat customers and if they priced their offerings a bit more reasonable they would sell so much more. I would do without or with very little than to well overpay for something of less value or quality. Instead of selling 200 plans at a 300% mark up, make it easier for the consumer and just mark it up 200% and sell 600 plans. They have happier customers, crew members (tips), and stockholders.

I wonder if on our Western-Med-Cruise coming June they have the same housewines. You never know, maybe they have a different supplier for their cruises in Europe. If it's really the "La Terre", I will for sure not buy the package! Life is too short to drink bad wine :p.

If better wines and specialty coffees were added, we would almost certainly buy the package. This would result in us spending SUBSTANTIALLY more than we do now. As it stands, because the individual prices always seem so inflated, we end up just getting wine at dinner on some nights and maybe 1-2 other drinks throughout the cruise and have pretty low bar bill.

If we could prepay and not stress about the cost as we sailed and still get drinks we wanted, then we would be willing to spend that money. So, RCI would make more off of us if they made the drink package appealing to wine and coffee drinkers :)

Most people reporting back after their cruise about the Premium Drinks Package are indicating that other than the poor quality of wine offered the package does include most beers and drinks and was a nice convenience.

For those of you who would even consider purchasing the Premium Drinks Package, would a better quality of wine make it more likely that you would purchase the package? I am just wondering, because for me, if the wine choices were better I just might purchase it. But with the poor quality of the wine offered now, no way.

And for clarification, I am eligible to use the Diamond and Concierge lounges for Complimentary evening cocktails, but to tell you the truth, with all the great bars offered on the ships now that gets a little old for me.

Also, if you are Diamond or Diamond Plus would you be more likely to purchase a Drinks or Beer Package if Royal Caribbean offered a substantial discount to D

and D+? I think it would be a great benefit and would no doubt free up a lot of space in the lounges as more people move up the C & A ladder.

Maybe if Royal Caribbean realizes they could sell a lot more Premium Drinks Packages if they upgraded the wine available, they just might do it. And if a lot of D and D+ would purchase the package if offered a discount they just might do that too. I mean that Drinks package must be a real money maker.

I think a discount on drinks package should only be made to "first time" RCI cruisers .

This is the only good marketing strategy to make it a real money spinner:)

Would most definitely purchase the premium package again if they expanded the wine options. And, I would even be willing to pay a bit more for the package. They might as well just exclude all wine if they plan on staying with the pitiful selection currently offered.

Our group purchased the package on our Brilliance cruise in January, and many were dissapointed in the wine options. Next year, all 70 of us are sailing on Celebrity instead:D

I think a discount on drinks package should only be made to "first time" RCI cruisers .

This is the only good marketing strategy to make it a real money spinner:)

Actually, I think if you ran the numbers first time cruisers tend to spend way more on the ship than Diamond or Diamond plus, including for alcohol. They are already big money makers for Royal. And many will buy the Drinks packages anyway.

The D+ have access to both the Diamond Lounge and Concierge lounges. So they drink for free during the cocktail hour in both lounges and during lunch in the CL they get free wine and beer. Many D+ won't buy the package because of this and the poor quality wines. Offering a discount and changing the wine selection might squeeze more money out of these customers than they would otherwise spend.

Our group on an upcoming FOS cruise are not big wine drinkers but we all enjoy our liquor and beer. All of the adults in the group are buying the premium package. When DH and I cruise along, I don't drink much but with friends along, we will easily drink this much. For us, it has been a great move by RCCL because we are all buying it instead of trying to bring our own liquor onboard.

For the occasional glass of wine my DH might have at dinner, the house wine will be fine. I would not want to pay more for more expensive wines. If you want wine, get one of the existing wine packages. This one is obviously for the beer and liquor drinkers!

My husband does not drink but I love Chardonnay! We were in an owner's suite on EOS and went to the concierge lounge just once! Was served a glass of bad tasting wine in a warm glass.

Wow we opted to go to the Aquarium Bar and get a nicely chilled glass (okay two glasses) of Castle Rock (I found it to be the best) each evening. Never stepped foot inside the CL again.

that house wine is terrible!!

Actually, I think if you ran the numbers first time cruisers tend to spend way more on the ship than Diamond or Diamond plus, including for alcohol. They are already big money makers for Royal. And many will buy the Drinks packages anyway.

The D+ have access to both the Diamond Lounge and Concierge lounges. So they drink for free during the cocktail hour in both lounges and during lunch in the CL they get free wine and beer. Many D+ won't buy the package because of this and the poor quality wines. Offering a discount and changing the wine selection might squeeze more money out of these customers than they would otherwise spend.

The free wine and beer in the CL for lunch is only available on Oasis and Allure. But I agree that the first time cruisers are RCI's bread and butter, not the repeaters - we are more likely to squeeze every last perk that we can before we spend money onboard. I will sometimes drink the wine in the CL as the quality varies from batch to batch, but I am more likely to get a cocktail instead and then drink wine elsewhere on the ship. But I don't drink enough to make the package worthwhile based on wine alone, so would need other liquids thrown in as noted above.

The free wine and beer in the CL for lunch is only available on Oasis and Allure. But I agree that the first time cruisers are RCI's bread and butter, not the repeaters - we are more likely to squeeze every last perk that we can before we spend money onboard. I will sometimes drink the wine in the CL as the quality varies from batch to batch, but I am more likely to get a cocktail instead and then drink wine elsewhere on the ship. But I don't drink enough to make the package worthwhile based on wine alone, so would need other liquids thrown in as noted above.

Yes, the only two ships currently serving lunch in the Concierge Lounge are Oasis and Allure and complimentary wine and beer are served during lunch. Thank you for clarifying for those who may not know that lunch service in the CL's is only offered on Oasis and Allure so far.

Our group on an upcoming FOS cruise are not big wine drinkers but we all enjoy our liquor and beer. All of the adults in the group are buying the premium package. When DH and I cruise along, I don't drink much but with friends along, we will easily drink this much. For us, it has been a great move by RCCL because we are all buying it instead of trying to bring our own liquor onboard.

For the occasional glass of wine my DH might have at dinner, the house wine will be fine. I would not want to pay more for more expensive wines. If you want wine, get one of the existing wine packages. This one is obviously for the beer and liquor drinkers!

Thats a bit unfair really. They are described as Alcoholic Beverage Packages, not Beer and Liguor Parkages. I would agree with you if all people in a room didnt have to buy the package.

Archived