Ilikai Honolulu

odysee

I haven't stayed at the Ilikai, but just walked through to have a look see. Nice looking place. While it is called the Ilikai Hotel and Suites, a lot of it is privately owned condos. Shares the beach and lagoon with the Hilton.

Tripadvisor rates it 11 of 81. That's a pretty good rating in my book.

A lifetime ago, my mother had her birthday party in one of the "Presidential" suites. This does mean that the Ilikai is very old. Since then, they did convert it to a Condo/hotel where some of the rooms are privately owned. The good is that it is in a great location, just at the entry to Waikiki. Waikiki has a one way street (Kalakaua), which helps with traffic, but once you get stuck going in, it will be a long time before you can find your way out. If the price is good, why not. If you want a more elegant hotel, try the Hawaii Prince. It is right next door and you can "see" the balcony that Jack Lord stood on. If she wants to take it another step....Kahala Mall has a small statue of Jack Lord near Macy's. Many of the location shots are done at Kualoa Ranch. Although the "Movie Tour" doesn't actually point out exact locations, you will recognize many of the forest/jungle scenes with the Koolau's in the background.

Renee (displaced local girl)

A lifetime ago, my mother had her birthday party in one of the "Presidential" suites. This does mean that the Ilikai is very old. Since then, they did convert it to a Condo/hotel where some of the rooms are privately owned. The good is that it is in a great location, just at the entry to Waikiki. Waikiki has a one way street (Kalakaua), which helps with traffic, but once you get stuck going in, it will be a long time before you can find your way out. If the price is good, why not. If you want a more elegant hotel, try the Hawaii Prince. It is right next door and you can "see" the balcony that Jack Lord stood on. If she wants to take it another step....Kahala Mall has a small statue of Jack Lord near Macy's. Many of the location shots are done at Kualoa Ranch. Although the "Movie Tour" doesn't actually point out exact locations, you will recognize many of the forest/jungle scenes with the Koolau's in the background.

Renee (displaced local girl)

...with Renee (cr8tiv1), the Ilikai is very old. Yes, we stayed there many years ago...description: Simple elegance. Can't really tell you what the rooms look like today. And yes, it is in a great location...Waikiki and also the Ala Moana Mall the other way. Perhaps a better analogy would be: Would you stay at Beverly Hills Hotel?...its old but many people still do. :)

We stayed there 4 nights last October (2012). Very nice lobby area, large and airy, a few shops, coffee shop, bar and grill, and an Italian restaurant at the top.

We asked for ocean view room on the Marina side, high up. Lovely view and sunsets from the 22nd floor. Could see the POA sailing in early Sat morning.

My daughter/son in law had a mountainview room on the same floor, great night views, no complaints.

Staff were great, room was very large, could've used a bathroom reno but it was acceptable.

There was a microwave, small fridge, and the usual hairdryer, ironing board, safe.

I would certainly book here again.

One drawback, I was travelling with a friend and asked for 2 double beds but they will not guarantee that, it seems they have a lot of rooms with one king.

BTW I booked with Aqua hotels. Some suites are privately owned (condos) as mentioned before, and some are run by another hotel chain but I cannot remember which. Aqua runs the higher floors and some other rooms throughout.

Don't miss the lamplighter at sunset every evening, out by the bar and grill, he runs along and lights the lamps, then blows the conch. On Fridays they have a free Hula show out there as well.

There is a good place for breakfast along the street, open very early. Wailana coffee house at the corner of Ala Moana and Kalia.

Thanks for the review sounds like we will have a nice stay here. Did you eat at the Italian restaurant? Glad to.hear there is a close by coffee shop for an early breakfast. I have a feeling with a 5 hr. Time difference we.will be up very early

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

No we didn't eat at the Italian Restaurant. I believe it is upscale.

We did eat at the Ilikai bar and grill, the food was mostly so-so, although I did really enjoy the sesame chicken salad.

Coffee at the Ilikai coffee shop is good and it is open early as well but they are just a small store and offer limited snacks. Wailana coffee house is good for a bacon/eggs type breakfast.

Well I have no experience with Ilikai. But yes, we did visit Honolulu last year and it was a great family vacation. DH's boss had gifted us a three nights stay at one of those rental condos.

The views along side the beaches are enjoyable. Location wise it has got an advantage and the service team was okay.

I've stayed at the Ilikai several times. The regular rooms are not very large, but they are fine for a party of 2. Good location. Friday Night fireworks every week at the Hilton logoon on the beach out back of the hotel. (The hotel itself is not on the beach. It's on a parking lot next to a marina at the very edge of Waikiki. VERY short walk to the beach.

Archived