Bad PR for cruise industry....

only1deejay

This mess with Carnival recently...does not make the cruise industry look good at all...I have cruised with princess which is carnival's sister company and had a great experience....but for some Carnival is considered "low standards" when it comes to cruising elite....just look at the prices between disney, RCL, NCL, and others....

Carnival needs to seriously look at all of its current fleet and maintanence issues.....they will take a hit for awhile and need to regain customer loyalty.

also....i have a feeling alot of the passengers on the current vessel with the fire will NOT be taking the FREE cruise credits on carnival again...unless they can use it on a sister ships like princess. IMHO.:)

Carnival Corp will definitely have some PR issues to clear up for the people. They may have a small fall out from this, but I doubt it would be that big or noticeable. I personally would never go on a Carnival cruise, but that's only because their atmosphere isn't what I look for in a cruise. My attitude towards Carnival has been that way before this or the Splendor incident.

I really hope they do take the time to investigate why this has happened a couple times to them and make the appropriate changes if changes need to be changed. Fans of Carnival deserve that much.

Honestly, I think most of the people that were on that cruise would take the future cruise credit and use it. Some probably won't, but the majority would. I would. I wouldn't be surprised to even see some people use their credit to go on the Triumph again, especially after their dry dock.

I'm curious to hear the experiences people had on the ship. We're getting conflicting answers now as to what the conditions are like. Everyone needs to take this as a learning experience.

I remember when the Splendor returned to Long Beach after its fire and the local news crews were interviewing some of the passengers. Some said they were through with cruising, others figured it was one-off, and said they would continue to cruise on Carnival.

Hopefully Carnival will figure out what went wrong and try to make sure all of their ships are checked out.

IMO, you can expect every cruise line to roll out a promotion or two. There is already a significant amount of PR fallout from previous incidents, especially the Costa incident. The only way to offset it ... an increased marketing effort.

This mess with Carnival recently...does not make the cruise industry look good at all...I have cruised with princess which is carnival's sister company and had a great experience....but for some Carnival is considered "low standards" when it comes to cruising elite....just look at the prices between disney, RCL, NCL, and others....

Carnival needs to seriously look at all of its current fleet and maintanence issues.....they will take a hit for awhile and need to regain customer loyalty.

also....i have a feeling alot of the passengers on the current vessel with the fire will NOT be taking the FREE cruise credits on carnival again...unless they can use it on a sister ships like princess. IMHO.:)

This is just a guess, but, even though what happened on the Triumph is unfortunate, I doubt that it will have as much of an impact on cruising in general, or Carnival in particular, as many people seem to think. It could make some potential first-time cruisers have second thoughts about booking a cruise, especially if they're already nervous about going. But I don't think it will have much of an impact on seasoned cruisers that either already have a cruise booked, or are planning to book another cruise. There may be some that will take a "wait and see" approach if they've been thinking about booking a cruise on Carnival, particularly one of the older ships, but I doubt if it will have much, if any , impact on people planning to cruise on Carnival's newer ships.

I have a friend who is already talking about canceling her sons graduation cruise and just flying to an AI in the Carribean. :rolleyes:

I think anyone should do a ton of research and know if the ship or line they are about to cruise on has bad reviews... Triumph had some problems for the last few sailings. Turns out that they were just a foreshadowing of this disaster.

I would cruise Carnival if it was a ship that had just came off dry dock or 2.0 upgrades like the Sunshine that will be in New Orleans this fall.

It appears that Carnival is not properly maintaining their ships, or they would not have these problems over and over again, just my thought.

Just because something breaks doesn't mean maintenance isn't being done. Machines aren't perfect, they break. Remember, many components of a cruise go 24/7.

Heck, we don't even know what happened here. How can we say Carnival isn't maintaining their ships?

The main problem with the news coverage is the old "If it bleeds,it leads". They will interview any number of people, most who will say, yes it was inconvenient, but Carnival is making up to us.

The ones that will air are the "Drama Queens or Kings" that will say it was horrible, I was afraid we would sink, I will never cruise again.

I have been on both a Princess ship and a Silverseas ship where we lost power, but only for a few hours.

The good thing about the Triumph was that automatic fire suppression DID work. In the case of the Splendor, the installation was screwed up and they were not aware of it until it did not work. This caused a great deal more damage.

Archived