Wigs

sherilyn70

You don't need to lose your hair due to chemo! Google "Cold Cap Therapy" for details. I have two friends who have used this process and did not lose hair!

Best wishes on a successful outcome.

That looks interesting... but unfortunately I will be on a chemo drip for 24 hours over 3 days so it doesn't sound like it would work in my situation. I'll also be in a hospital the entire 6 days of treatement so I won't have access to chill the cap. Thanks for sharing that information though.

Sherilyn: know that many people are thinking of you as you begin your treatments.

You may find that there will be days that you choose to go "natural" and other days, having your wig just seems right.

Thanks. :) As the day for chemo gets closer I'm getting more nervous/anxious.

I plan on buying a few scarves/caps. I don't see the wig being something I'll want to wear everyday but it will be nice to have for going out and doing something nice or visiting with friends/family. I was able to go to a good wig shop yesterday and found a wig I like.

jr5380_01_md.jpg

I just have to get it approved by the insurance company before I order it in the color I want. I'm feeling better about the wig situation. This one allows me to wear my hair much like I always did since it can be parted anywhere and easily pulled/clipped back.

Nice wig Sherilyn! I found one close to my current style when I first lost mine, it does make the transition easier.

I do pray this goes well for you. Chemo affects everyone differently, but overall it is no picnic. However the good news is that the treatment does finish....then it's kind of like having a baby...you somehow forget how bad it was.

At least, that's what I tell myself. I'm on treatment number nine of my current regime, it gets harder each time. I am treated for three days every two weeks. The side effects are tough. This past session I begged the Doc for an extra week...so we went three weeks, such a relief.

My prayers and thoughts are with you, chemo extends life and is going to help you, just don't forget the spiritual and holistic sides of things too....eat right, drink tons of fluids and stay close to God.

Best wishes

Terry

Thank you, I survived the first round of chemo. The worst side effect I had was my right leg swelled up like a sumo wrestler and I had to waddle around, I can live with that. :)

I still have my hair (for now) but I expect the wig to come in this week. I also don't expect the hair to last much longer. My father recalls my mother losing hers within days of getting home.

Sherilyn,

Sending you prayers and best wishes for success in your treatments. I admire your calm, positive spirit. Keep us posted as you go through this process. I hope the board here will be a good diversion for you :)

Ok. I've been there, but let me tell you, there are some really cute wigs out there! I did a whole cruise with a wig and some of my "best" cruise pictures were taken in that wig! It was lightweight and I even wore on tours and in the sun. I did not lose all my hair through about 9 months(!) of chemo and a few months of radiation, but my "real" hair did thin and looked yucky. I used a great shampoo on it (my own hair) called Nioxin. I went with a good buddy (who had been there and done that) to Chic Wigs. We tried on many wigs and almost instantly found one that looked really cute! My husband really liked my wig! Don't be discouraged - be positive. My hospital had a program - "Look Good Feel Better" that had some wigs to try on and they gave out free makeup samples! It was awesome and the meetings were fun. Don't be shy about going. You really will feel better!

Hugs to you...

I am a four year survivor, cancer free, still cruising, and feeling great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well I officially lost my hair last night. It started coming out in huge clumps so it was time to shave.

ejery5ap.jpg

I have my new wig but wasn't ready to wear it yet....still fiddling with the style but here's a preview of it as well.

ypynuzyq.jpg

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

I would say go for something short and as near to your normal colour as possible, they always look strange at first and nearly always need trimming, personally I couldn't wear it for very long, just felt awkward and itchy especially in warm weather, but had a few scarfs and beanie style hats from chemo websites, just google hats for chemo.

Mine started to grow back after about a month after treatment finished and once it starts you get a good covering pretty quickly, also mine came back curly until about my third haircut ( this is quite common) back to straight now but much thicker.

Good luck

Janec16

Well I officially lost my hair last night. It started coming out in huge clumps so it was time to shave.

ejery5ap.jpg

I have my new wig but wasn't ready to wear it yet....still fiddling with the style but here's a preview of it as well.

ypynuzyq.jpg

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk

Sherilyn, you look beautiful both with and without the wig! Your great attitude shines through!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a wig from Paula Young, for our upcoming cruise. I have long hair which takes forever to style---so thought this might be a good idea. They come in all price ranges. Mine looks pretty decent for only 49.99!! Wish the color of my own hair looked that good!

Oh Sherilyn you look great! I love the wig, the color is so you and suits your coloring so well. Now you can move on and focus on getting better!

You can see my bald head on the Caribbean cruising fashionista thread....HLM says wigs worked for her in the Caribbean so I plan on taking the one I have on in those pics, but am also taking hats...

You will have some fun with this I am sure, your positive outlook will keep you going and it will all be good. Best wishes for good outcomes from the hated chemo!

I cruise starting tomorrow! So excited...it's our first time....I feel so good but when I return have to have two more back to back chemo treatments, numbers 11 and 12. Just praying it is keeping further spread of the cancer under control.

Kick it to the curb Sherilyn!

Terry

Oh Sherilyn you look great! I love the wig, the color is so you and suits your coloring so well. Now you can move on and focus on getting better!

You can see my bald head on the Caribbean cruising fashionista thread....HLM says wigs worked for her in the Caribbean so I plan on taking the one I have on in those pics, but am also taking hats...

You will have some fun with this I am sure, your positive outlook will keep you going and it will all be good. Best wishes for good outcomes from the hated chemo!

I cruise starting tomorrow! So excited...it's our first time....I feel so good but when I return have to have two more back to back chemo treatments, numbers 11 and 12. Just praying it is keeping further spread of the cancer under control.

Kick it to the curb Sherilyn!

Terry

Thank you :) so far I have survived rounds 1 and 2 of chemo. The fuzz that I had in the picture has now left me as well and I'm more officially bald, lol.

I got 2 more wigs to play with for fun and can definitely tell the difference between a $50 wig and the $300 one... they're so much heavier and hotter. So I'm thankful I did invest in the higher quality one.

I'm happy that you get to take a cruise, hopefully I'll reach a point where I can do that again. Right now since I refuse to quit working it's taking all of my time off from work for chemo of course and we're still catching up on the medical we didn't expect that is as much as cruise (3200 max for the year thank god) but there wen't the budget. Have fun! I hope your next treatements continue to prevent the spread. I get my next PET and CT scan next week to see if we can see any progress yet, trying not to get my hopes up since I'm told I'm probably in the same boat you are and just preventing growth. 4 more of this type of chemo treatement to go... then probably on to targeted radiation. The second round of chemo went much smoother since we knew what glitches needed to be worked out adn i'm actually feeling pretty great this week.

Love the hats, do you wear anything under them? I have one straw hat for the warmer weather... not sure how well it will stay on or if it will itch.

Edited by sherilyn70

• 1 month later...

I'm around, just not as active since all I seem to do is work and sleep lately.

I just finished round 4 of chemo. Overall everything is going smooth, it's just wearing my body down. I'm still working a 40 hour week from home immediately after chemo (need to keep a paycheck coming in) and then another 40 hours in the office the following week. Then back to the hospital I go for the next round. :) Last cycle I learned the importance of having an immune system as I ended up with a fever and strep, they stuck me in the hospital for 2 days until I had a high enough white blood cell count to fight it off on my own. We caught everything so fast that I never felt any symptoms from the strep... just had the fever. The scans show that the tumor is slowing down (hopefully dying) but it isn't shrinking; however we didn't really expect it to shrink because of it's massive size. Two more rounds to go before we re-evaluate and figure out what the next step is. Hopefully it will be a little less intensive than what we have been doing, but I'll do whatever it takes to try and beat this!

Thank you for asking and keep those prayers coming. I need all the positive energy I can get to beat this.

Good to see you back Sherrilyn! Keep up the good work!

Some young Jewish Orthodox women wear Freeda wigs. They are really nice and their discontinued styles are affordable. You have to get them cut and styled because they are natural.

Edited by royalcruz

Hopefully it will be a little less intensive than what we have been doing, but I'll do whatever it takes to try and beat this!

Thank you for asking and keep those prayers coming. I need all the positive energy I can get to beat this.

Been thinking about you ! Glad you have a positive attitude that is the clue to beating this problem !

Edited by Moegr

I'm around, just not as active since all I seem to do is work and sleep lately.

I just finished round 4 of chemo. Overall everything is going smooth, it's just wearing my body down. I'm still working a 40 hour week from home immediately after chemo (need to keep a paycheck coming in) and then another 40 hours in the office the following week. Then back to the hospital I go for the next round. :) Last cycle I learned the importance of having an immune system as I ended up with a fever and strep, they stuck me in the hospital for 2 days until I had a high enough white blood cell count to fight it off on my own. We caught everything so fast that I never felt any symptoms from the strep... just had the fever. The scans show that the tumor is slowing down (hopefully dying) but it isn't shrinking; however we didn't really expect it to shrink because of it's massive size. Two more rounds to go before we re-evaluate and figure out what the next step is. Hopefully it will be a little less intensive than what we have been doing, but I'll do whatever it takes to try and beat this!

I just stumbled across this thread and want to let you know many prayers are on the way and around you!