Tipping

njrover0216

The Kids Club personnel are actually paid a living wage unlike the other service personnel, who depend on their living wage via the daily surcharge mostly. Robbing from the service personnel to tip the kids club personnel is alike robbing from the poor to pay the rich more.

According to cruise jobs, a cabin steward makes between $1,800 - $2,200 a month and a youth counselor makes between $1,800 - $2,100 a month.

According to cruise jobs, a cabin steward makes between $1,800 - $2,200 a month and a youth counselor makes between $1,800 - $2,100 a month.

That is with the daily surcharge for the cabin stewards. The counselors get all of their pay with their salaries without any dip into the daily surcharge. Why rob from those depending upon the daily surcharge to tip those who don't?

That is with the daily surcharge for the cabin stewards. The counselors get all of their pay with their salaries without any dip into the daily surcharge. Why rob from those depending upon the daily surcharge to tip those who don't?

I see no way that someone is robbing a cabin steward if they pay their DSC and then choose to tip personnel in the kids club. Just because they tip the kids club staff, doesn't mean that they would have tipped the room steward anything more than the included DSC.

I see no way that someone is robbing a cabin steward if they pay their DSC and then choose to tip personnel in the kids club. Just because they tip the kids club staff, doesn't mean that they would have tipped the room steward anything more than the included DSC.

I agree, nothing wrong with tipping the kids club staff if you wish. But for those who desire to cut the daily surcharge as the OP implied to tip the kids club staff is in my opinion robbing from the service staff.

I agree, nothing wrong with tipping the kids club staff if you wish. But for those who desire to cut the daily surcharge as the OP implied to tip the kids club staff is in my opinion robbing from the service staff.

The poster that I was responding to said:

Just like on every other board...the tipping threads are the longest - LOL.

First time NCL cruiser here.

Just want to make sure I'm clear.

4 of us....$12 per day each = $48 per day x 7 days = $336; and we don't need to tip beyond that (but can if we feel so inclined).

Although I didn't see a resolution on the kid's club - not included in that or yes?, should be covered and again can tip if we feel so inclined?

Never once did they say anything about not paying the DSC.

Also, just like the kid program staff, other crew members that receives tips over and above the paid DSC, doesn't have to report them. So, if you look at it that way, the room stewards are probably making a higher salary (including all tips), than the kids program staff.

Thanks for the advice! We are stuck with NCL now since we are all booked and paid for. So we will see how it goes. I think the problem is that being American it is beat into our head that we have to tip tip tip all the time, and I always feel horrible for not being gracious when tipping. I have stayed at a lot of top notch hotels and never had to pay anymore more then the hotel rooms and taxes. I guess we will see how it goes:)

We actually do leave small tips for the maids at top notch hotels, about $10 a day... so we get all kinds of great above-board service.. extra coffee and towels and such all without having to ask - :D But this begs a question I have regarding tips .. we have a Suite on the POA in May 2014, so if there are 4 of us in the suite (we are all adults) how do we handle tipping concierge and butlers? $10/per person, per day for each ? Tip each occurrence? So if we use the butler regularly, we would tip him $40 a day? This I am confused about. Is there a standard?

The steward makes that if everyone pays their DSC. That ain't their salary.

Yes, but you also have to consider all the tips over and above the DSC that are given.

Well, I don't hafta consider that because it isn't my business nor concern. The mention of what they make doesn't mention their salary, merely what they make, which isn't the same thing.

Well, I don't hafta consider that because it isn't my business nor concern. The mention of what they make doesn't mention their salary, merely what they make, which isn't the same thing.

You say it is none of your business? Neither is that that others don't pay the DSC. Saying they make X and not consider the tips over and beyond the DSC, is not a true representive of their "income", just as saying that they are poor opposed to the kids club staff - when in fact they probably make considerably more.

Yeah, but is it any of our business....:D

Only when people try to guilt people by saying that one postions makes considerably less (the poor, as they were called), than another (the rich, as they were called), when in fact they either make close to the same or one makes more and it is not the one that is called rich.

Only when people try to guilt people by saying that one postions makes considerably less (the poor, as they were called), than another (the rich, as they were called), when in fact they either make close to the same or one makes more and it is not the one that is called rich.

Not if you cut the pay of one while at the same time increasing the pay for the other. Furthermore, do those who do tip every counselor at the Kids Club or do they tip just one? And does that one share that tip with the other counselors? And do the counselors report their tips to their governments? How many tip day care personnel at home? How many tip their baby sitters at home? My daughter informs me they have to practically dump the kids in their charge to get many of their parents to pay their bills, much less get a tip.

I can play the game of passing the buck too.

You say it is none of your business? Neither is that that others don't pay the DSC. Saying they make X and not consider the tips over and beyond the DSC, is not a true representive of their "income", just as saying that they are poor opposed to the kids club staff - when in fact they probably make considerably more.

Not true. When others don't pay their obligations it has an effect on the crew. That makes it everyone's business.

The stewards clean toilets and clean up after a lot of slobs. They certainly deserve more money than the babysitter crew.

When people say "It's not about the money" , guess what? It's usually about the money. I realized long ago that the crew depends on the DSC for their income and it ISN'T a tip. People who feel the need tp personally hand out the money rather keep the DSC in place quite frankly usually come across as vinegar/water dispensers who feel the need to lord themselves over the poor grateful crew. Malarkey.

Sayiing the crew makes a great wage compared to where they are from as they have the DSC removed come across as .....hmmmmm, ......well, the same vinegar/water dispesers.

You said the cabin guys make 1800-2100 a month. I don't dispute that. You should know that that figure includes the DSC, it ain't their salary.

It's my business on that ship if other pax don't pay their obligations.

Not true. When others don't pay their obligations it has an effect on the crew. That makes it everyone's business.

The stewards clean toilets and clean up after a lot of slobs. They certainly deserve more money than the babysitter crew.

When people say "It's not about the money" , guess what? It's usually about the money. I realized long ago that the crew depends on the DSC for their income and it ISN'T a tip. People who feel the need tp personally hand out the money rather keep the DSC in place quite frankly usually come across as vinegar/water dispensers who feel the need to lord themselves over the poor grateful crew. Malarkey.

Sayiing the crew makes a great wage compared to where they are from as they have the DSC removed come across as .....hmmmmm, ......well, the same vinegar/water dispesers.

You said the cabin guys make 1800-2100 a month. I don't dispute that. You should know that that figure includes the DSC, it ain't their salary.

It's my business on that ship if other pax don't pay their obligations.

Actually, it is none of your business what others do. But if you feel so strongly about it, then I would suggest that you talk with the Hotel Director and find out who hasn't paid and you make up the difference on each and everyone of your cruises.

I certainly don't understand your thoughts about "the babysitting crew" as you call them, but those that work in the kids clubs are responsible for other people's children and their safety and should be paid accordingly.

I certainly don't agree with anyone removing the DSC, but I can only do what is right for me and what other people do, is not mine or anyone else's business.

Who ever said the crew makes a great wage compared to where they are from?

Yes, I know the figure includes the DSC, but it doesn't include tips they received from passengers who also pay the DSC and that should be taken into consideration, before someone calls them "poor".

Not if you cut the pay of one while at the same time increasing the pay for the other. Furthermore, do those who do tip every counselor at the Kids Club or do they tip just one? And does that one share that tip with the other counselors? And do the counselors report their tips to their governments? How many tip day care personnel at home? How many tip their baby sitters at home? My daughter informs me they have to practically dump the kids in their charge to get many of their parents to pay their bills, much less get a tip.

I can play the game of passing the buck too.

In the discussion I was in, where you made your comment, no one was talking about not paying the DSC to tip the kids club staff. The poster actually, listed what the DSC would be and asked if they could give additional tips and if the kids club was included in the DSC. Looks like they were trying to find out correct information, so they could do the right thing. You came on and told people that they were robbing from the poor to give to the rich, which had nothing to do with what we were discussing. In my opinion, you were just trying to guilt people to give extra to the cabin steward and not tip the kid club staff.

It is no one's business who someone tips in the kids club nor how many they tip, that it the persons individual decision.

Do the room stewards report their additional tips to their government?

Not quite sure what game you are playing, but some of your examples don't really equate to what we are talking about. Your daughter must work at a day care center, but we are talking about a cruise ship where people are on vacation and appreciate that someone is watching their children and showing them a great time and if someone wants to tip the crew member, that is up to them. Sorry your daughter can't get the money from the parents, maybe they should start getting it up front, that way they won't accept a child for the week until the parent has paid.

Actually, it is none of your business what others do. But if you feel so strongly about it, then I would suggest that you talk with the Hotel Director and find out who hasn't paid and you make up the difference on each and everyone of your cruises.

I certainly don't understand your thoughts about "the babysitting crew" as you call them, but those that work in the kids clubs are responsible for other people's children and their safety and should be paid accordingly.

I certainly don't agree with anyone removing the DSC, but I can only do what is right for me and what other people do, is not mine or anyone else's business.

Who ever said the crew makes a great wage compared to where they are from?

Yes, I know the figure includes the DSC, but it doesn't include tips they received from passengers who also pay the DSC and that should be taken into consideration, before someone calls them "poor".

You have really missed a lot of the discussion.

It is nice to hear that you don't have the DSC pulled.

It does matter to every non-toad who doesn't have it pulled.

You have really missed a lot of the discussion.

It is nice to hear that you don't have the DSC pulled.

It does matter to every non-toad who doesn't have it pulled.

Don't think I missed anything.

It really shouldn't matter to anyone what someone else does. We are only responsible for our own actions and can only answer to ourselves on what we do or don't do. Sometimes I think that people get to involved in what others do with regard to tipping on here.

Sorry your daughter can't get the money from the parents, maybe they should start getting it up front, that way they won't accept a child for the week until the parent has paid.

Maybe the cruise lines should not allow anyone to remove their DSCs for any reason.

Maybe the cruise lines should not allow anyone to remove their DSCs for any reason.

I personally think they should include it in the cruise fare and then allow people to tip if they please, without any suggested amounts. I think the crew would make a lot more if this was changed. But unfortunately that won't happen, because the cruise lines want their fares to stay at the lowest they can. If they ever did change it, they would charge the DSC to the fare and then would revert back to the old tipping procedures suggesting to people what to tip and probably pocketing the DSC and just pay the crew the tips. So, the only winner would be the cruise line.

I personally think they should include it in the cruise fare and then allow people to tip if they please, without any suggested amounts. I think the crew would make a lot more if this was changed. But unfortunately that won't happen, because the cruise lines want their fares to stay at the lowest they can. If they ever did change it, they would charge the DSC to the fare and then would revert back to the old tipping procedures suggesting to people what to tip and probably pocketing the DSC and just pay the crew the tips. So, the only winner would be the cruise line.

Fifteen years ago no one ever thought the cruise lines would ever implement daily surcharges/auto tipping, but all of the main lines have. While no one anticipates these surcharges will be mandatory, it wouldn't surprise me if they were mandatory within five years. When those who skip out reaches 35 percent alike when those who skipped out of the main dining rooms on the last night to avoid the envelopes, these charges will be mandatory. And alike the airlines in the travel industry, I expect more and more mandatory charges. The envelopes path Samuel Cunard chose more than a hundred years ago fell by the wayside, so changes will be implemented when the need arises.

• 1 month later...
To answer your question, you can have the tips (DSC) adjusted, up, down or whatever at the customer service desk. You do not need to give them a reason for the adjustment. Any reason you give them they will just use to argue with you about the adjustment. If tipping in person is your preference, by all means to that and adjust the DSC as you see fit. It is your money and your choice.

Keep in mind the kids club personnel are paid well and DO NOT get a piece of the DSC tip. Neither do the concierge or butlers, but I don't think you are in a suite so you don't have to worry about them.

I am totally surprised that you can have the DSC adjusted!

Being Aussies we are not used to obligatory service charges (gratuities) being added - but we leave cash commensurate with the service received at restaurants etc.

In America we expect to 'tip' 18%+ for meals.

On a cruise, as explained, the DSC is part of the cost of cruising and it is split up amongst all eligible staff - irrespective of what level of service they give...but presumably management reviews feedback scores and by observation remove poor performers...we know the friendly service is great...thats WHY we are happier to pay in America than at home - no tipping = lousy service in Australia.

So...why should the DSC be adjusted based on a service issue? If someone has a serious complaint about the cruise, then perhaps they should be compensated...not just up to $12 per day but whatever compensation is justified. Since the DSC is split amongst many staff, refunding it to a particular passenger is not going to reflect in the portion received by the offending service person...however a complaint is very likely to impact upon their job.

In past cruises we always tipped our cabin steward and wait staff on the last day - with NCL freestyle dining I'm guessing we will need to tip on a nightly basis.

Thanks for the advice on tipping bar staff early in order to get stronger drinks!!!:)

Archived