Tipping

njrover0216

I don't blame njrover0216 for asking the question as it is her first cruise, and she may not understand about how the tipping system works in the cruise industry.

The automatic tipping recommended by the cruise line is basically part of the "salary" for the cruise staff who are paid a small wage by the cruise company, and their income rely much on the automatic tipping from the guests. The tip you pay does not just go to your cabin steward or restaurant server, but shared among all the cruise staff including those working behind the scene, proportion of amount set by the cruise company. It is a ridiculous system, but staff will lose out if guests withdraw the tipping.

I always pay the automatic tipping, and give extra to those who have served me well as an appreciation.

You are forgetting that the largest share of the Daily Service Charge goes to your cabin steward who cleans your cabin, changes towels and sheets, including those used by your 3 year old, cleans the bathroom, which is also used by your 3 year old. Some of the DSC is shared by all waiters/waitresses, not just one.

And the remainder is shared by some of the behind the scenes crew members who help make your cruise enjoyable.

I am not sure if you read through the entire thread but what I was asking is can i ask for some of the money back 40-50 to give SPECIFICALLY to the cabin steward who will do more for my children then any waitress or kitchen staff. And to give to the childcare givers.

For the rest that are commenting that this is DSC charge and not a tipping charge...the other cruise ships describe these charges as the recommended tipping charges. Which if Norweigan expects people to consider this a DSC and not a tipping charge then that makes the cost of their cruise more then the other cruiselines. DSC or tipping charge...it is exactly the same...just is allocated to different people is what you are all saying.

Wow I am going to say some of the people on this board are a bit scary! Some of you made me feel like I was cheap, when all I was asking was whether or not I can ask for some money back to give to the appropriate people that will service my 7 year old that will barely eat on the cruise and 3 year old and tip MORE on top of that! I just paid over $3000 dollars for a cruise, over $330 in DSC charges, $500 in excursions...and have not even stepped on the boat yet...I definitely wouldn't say I am cheap;)

I don't blame njrover0216 for asking the question as it is her first cruise, and she may not understand about how the tipping system works in the cruise industry.

The automatic tipping recommended by the cruise line is basically part of the "salary" for the cruise staff who are paid a small wage by the cruise company, and their income rely much on the automatic tipping from the guests. The tip you pay does not just go to your cabin steward or restaurant server, but shared among all the cruise staff including those working behind the scene, proportion of amount set by the cruise company. It is a ridiculous system, but staff will lose out if guests withdraw the tipping.

I always pay the automatic tipping, and give extra to those who have served me well as an appreciation.

Thank you for the best reply yet;) I have decided that I will just leave the tip alone and tip no more to the servers since they are getting their fair share, since two of our kids will not be using their services;) And I will slide extra money to our room steward at the end of the week, and $10 at the end of each day to the daycare staff if my children are well take care of. That should cover everyone:p

In the cause of saving us all a lot time posting the same old pro/con arguments I have done my FQA ver. 1.3 on the DSC. First thing to honestly ask yourself is are you trying to avoid it as I am cheap or do I just not understand why they have a DSC for tipping.

Some here will claim this information should not be shared as it is teaching people how to get out of them, I take the view you will anyway if you’re this cheap no matter what, so let’s not waste time.

Note: I pay the DSC and add some cash at the end when I find service to be above expected norms.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First two things from the NCL website so you have some base understanding for the discussion.

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees 07/2011 according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

The last line I have major issues with is the “A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.” A tip or DSC is to reward for performance NCL by diverting part of it for welfare programs is cheating the crew members of a portion of their reward while the same time passing a cost of “crew welfare: on to us. No business I have ever bought from or knowledge of has line item or hidden fee for “crew welfare” or called it a DSC/Tip.

2nd in this link on FAQ http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19262 titled “If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?”

"Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

The end of the 2nd statement I and others feel creates much confusion as it clearly says "Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges." once again leading you to think you can.

From these two above statements issues arise here and many minds that NCL clearly states "subject to adjustment at your discretion" & "Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges." yet it is then claimed by some here on CC this not what it really means but is a legal loophole, so NCL is not legally obligated to consider the DSC as wages and have tax issues.

Yet again the majority of vocal CC posters weight in with you should not think you can. My belief after reading the above from NCL is this all becomes more a moral and ethical view than policy, rule or law. Some people can live with that, I personally choose to not to live life cheating others just because I can.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with the DSC background defined as clearly as mud by NCL themselves, here we go.

Yes they can be removed; bottom line you go the service desk ask them to remove it, insist they remove it; they will ask why and want a reason. By firmly stating you do not believe in tipping and demanding it be removed they will remove it.

If you give any other excuse they will try to get you to not remove it, explain the reasoning for DSC and why tipping is not the proper method and fix your issue/problem.

You should expect you will be called cheap, uncaring and lots of other things here on CC. In the line on the ship you may well find others staring, glowered, making comments on your decency or where you were born. You may feel like a heal, but you can do it.

Many on CC feel if you’re going to do this do it the first day so the crew knows you’re cheap, heartless and may ignore you while they pay attention to those of us who pay the fee and deserve their attention.

It is also claimed you will have a scarlet mark entered next to your name; another claim/report is a list goes around to all staff and your room steward with your names and cabin on it. Also it will be pointed out if removing any part of the DSC and you then tip cash the person you tipped is required to report it and it just goes back to this fund anyway, so why bother

No good reason you come can come up with to remove it is accepted here. If you have an issue on the ship the proper method of recourse is you go the service desk or call the hotel director @ x8888 and they will do their best to fix it. This is correct way to show your displeasure, not cheating the hard working staff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here are some of the CC reasons to leave the tip and tip well.

You’re contributing to the whole crew who works so hard, many of the crew who you never see to tip any other way. Think about their family’s wellbeing, how will they survive if everyone did this? These are the people who do the jobs, us rich Americans never would and do for 13 hrs a day all for so little pay, far below our minimum wage laws. They do it for you 7 days a week, 10 months a year, all separate from their families and homes. So now just because you can, you’re cheating them of a better life by being a cheapskate.

The DSC of $12 is less than you tip for the same value when on another type of vacation. It will be pointed out that other lines suggest higher tipping than NCL’s $12. Yet other’s will say the inside cheaper cabins should tip less than the balconies and mini suites and that is not fair. Other lines do suggest tips be higher based on cabin choice. Other lines only just suggest tips and you leave an envelope at the end, but they also if choosing a” freestyle like” dinning choice require you to prepay it.

This is the crew's pay. With the exception of a SERIOUS lapse, there is no reason why you should feel entitled to remove the crew's pay. End of story. This is not ancillary income for them. It's their core compensation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last if your trip is so problematic you feel you need compensation you have other recourses you can pursue. Noise, food quality/variety or any other non-service related issue falls under DSC removal but is a cruise line issue. The hotel director has the authorization to handle this, when you get back you can also write detailing your issues to guest services. Many myself included have found when something is really wrong NCL is willing to provide recourse via “as a gesture of goodwill cruise credits, valid towards the cruise fare only on a future voyage”. This amount was at times greater than the DSC fee was.

Last my feeling if you’re trying just to get out of paying the DSC; You knew about the fee's when you booked and could have choose some other cruise line so just pay it and shut up or do not sail NCL.

Wow thanks for the very unnecessary comments. I am far from cheap, even with a daughter that has a health condition that has cost us thousands over the 3 short years she has been here. This trip is celebrating a huge milestone for her. I stress about not tipping appropriately. I do not want to feel like a donkey when the waitress at a buffet comes to our table and brings us drinks. I needed to know if I should tip this person or not. Should I tip the person that is taking care of my child, do they get part of this DSC charge, should I tip the room steward who will be working their butt off to make sure my room is cleaned up after 2 kids? I do not want to feel like a CHEAPO when they come into my room everyday. I was just trying to figure it out. Not everyone is trying to GET out of paying gratuity fees. I am not use to NOT having to tip, since there is a DSC charge. Now I sit back and wonder if I want to be stuck on a boat with people that have attitudes like this.

Wow thanks for the very unnecessary comments. I am far from cheap, even with a daughter that has a health condition that has cost us thousands over the 3 short years she has been here. This trip is celebrating a huge milestone for her. I stress about not tipping appropriately. I do not want to feel like a donkey when the waitress at a buffet comes to our table and brings us drinks. I needed to know if I should tip this person or not. Should I tip the person that is taking care of my child, do they get part of this DSC charge, should I tip the room steward who will be working their butt off to make sure my room is cleaned up after 2 kids? I do not want to feel like a CHEAPO when they come into my room everyday. I was just trying to figure it out. Not everyone is trying to GET out of paying gratuity fees. I am not use to NOT having to tip, since there is a DSC charge. Now I sit back and wonder if I want to be stuck on a boat with people that have attitudes like this.

If you just want some thoughts on additional tipping...if you wish to do additional tipping at all...and you sure don't have to, here's what I do. In addition to the $12 PP per day service charge:

For each round of drinks that a server brings to our table in one of the lounges, when I sign the ticket , I leave $1 with the signed ticket. If I'm sitting up at the bar and being served by the bartender, even though they get an auto 15%, if I've really enjoyed him/her, I usually leave $2 or $3 when I get up to leave. When we use room service, I give the person delivering it $2. When we use a sit down restaurant, MDR or specialty, I usually leave $3 for breakfast or lunch. For the evening meal, I usually leave $5. On the last night of a 7 day cruise, I leave usually $40 in an envelope with a note thanking the room steward for all his/her help during the cruise. This is just my choice and not required or expected. Some guests do not tip any additional at all. Nothing wrong with that. Some guests report tipping two or three times the amount I do. Nothing wrong with that. Consider the service charge part of the package price, then tip or not additionally as you wish. You won't be criticized either way. And, as you have considered, maybe some cruise lines are just not comfortable for you, or maybe even cruising might not be. All these ideas/thoughts/suggestions are pretty much the way the cruise industry is structured though.

OP

You can adjust the charge, but instead I would suggest adding another $50 for the kid's crew on top of the $4k you've already committed. While you might not think so, that young one will utilize a lot of resources on the ship, from cabin steward, laundry, cleaning crew, etc. that you might not even think of. Just my opinion.

OP

You can adjust the charge, but instead I would suggest adding another $50 for the kid's crew on top of the $4k you've already committed. While you might not think so, that young one will utilize a lot of resources on the ship, from cabin steward, laundry, cleaning crew, etc. that you might not even think of. Just my opinion.

Thanks, I had to call NCL this evening in regards to a question I had with our booking...I went ahead and asked her about these charges. She said the charges are more or less tipping for the restaurant staff, room stewards, everyone except the childcare staff, spa people, bar. She said she had never thought to tip the childcare staff but it would be very much appreciated when I told her I intended on doing so...thanks for the info!

I suspect that most don't tip the kid's staff, but I did on our Jewel cruise because my daughter had such a great time there. I gave them $40 and asked the supervisor to buy a round of drinks for the group as a thank you. :)

The crews on NCL do not need to "perform" for you in order to get tips. They are going to give you good service because that is where their incentives are. If you really wish to rewards a crew member, THEY would prefer that you fill in one of the comment cards and mention them by name. Those mentions are how they get incentives and promotions!

Good service is an expectation on NCL. They are really genuine and helpful and will do whatever they can to help you. You don't need to give them any more incentive than politeness and gratitude.

Please consider leaving the service charge as it is. Even if you don't see them, there are crew loading up the drinks your son drinks, and sweeping the floors he walks on, shining the railings he smudges, cleaning the deck chairs he sits in, servicing the bed he sleeps in, washing the towels he uses, etc. A cruise ship is not a restaurant. When you see how hard these folks work, 7 days a week for weeks at a time, and STILL manage to be kind and helpful to surly sunburned people, you'll see that $12 per day is CHEAP.

On CNN tonight when the Carnival Triumph finally docked at Mobile, they interviewed one of the Carnival servers. She replied to a CNN question that she earned the bulk of of her money through tips of the daily surcharge, as she earned only 17 cents an hour directly from Carnival. This isn't enough to pay her laundry bill.

So when you rob the poor employees to tip salaried personnel at the nursery, keep in mind most of us will think you have your priorities BACKWARDS. When you cruise you are not in America, you are in the world of cruise ships. Do in Rome as the Romans do. Leave the daily surcharge as is. No wonder why service is so great on a cruise ship. Pay is directly related to service. Not many restaurants in America could handle up to 4000 guests for one evening. Having watched Kitchen Nightmares, many American restaurants can't handle 50.

On CNN tonight when the Carnival Triumph finally docked at Mobile, they interviewed one of the Carnival servers. She replied to a CNN question that she earned the bulk of of her money through tips of the daily surcharge, as she earned only 17 cents an hour directly from Carnival. This isn't enough to pay her laundry bill.

So when you rob the poor employees to tip salaried personnel at the nursery, keep in mind most of us will think you have your priorities BACKWARDS. When you cruise you are not in America, you are in the world of cruise ships. Do in Rome as the Romans do. Leave the daily surcharge as is. No wonder why service is so great on a cruise ship. Pay is directly related to service. Not many restaurants in America could handle up to 4000 guests for one evening. Having watched Kitchen Nightmares, many American restaurants can't handle 50.

Don, you need to relax. This has nothing to do with America. Although I do agree the $12 is warranted and should be left alone, she was only asking because she wants to prioritize her money. I have worked as a server/bartender all of my life until recently and even I sometimes wish I could choose where some of that money goes. Instead, I just give a little extra and hope that the employee can pocket it without having to claim it.

Give me a break. Get an education and get a better job. So tired of the sob stories.

She never said she was trying to get away with not tipping. Never once did she say that. Chill out.

Don, you need to relax. This has nothing to do with America. Although I do agree the $12 is warranted and should be left alone, she was only asking because she wants to prioritize her money. I have worked as a server/bartender all of my life until recently and even I sometimes wish I could choose where some of that money goes. Instead, I just give a little extra and hope that the employee can pocket it without having to claim it.

I agree. I really hope they are allowed to pocket the extra we give. It doesn't seem fair that they would have to share it with anyone else.

NJRover, I am sorry if this question has left you questioning even the idea of cruising. Your questions are very understandable. In fact, it is a fairly frequent question on Cruise Critic and the subject of several articles that appear on the Cruise Critic website. Message boards are like media sound bites..they never tell the whole story and it is easy to assume that one can know with what tone or intention a person has written something.

Cruising is the VERY BEST vacation. Many of us tend to be very loyal to our favorite cruise line(s) and can forget what the first cruise was like for us. Tipping was a big deal for me on my first cruise. I also want to encourage you to keep an open mind on your trip. You are going to meet some wonderful people (cruisers and staff).

I really hope that you have the answers you need to make the decisions that are right for you and your family. I hope you will also share your experiences with us after your cruise.

That was mean, and I take it back. No way I believe ANYONE is making $.17 an hour though.

Do the math. Typical cruise line cabin steward, waiter/waitress or support person woks 10 hours per day for 30 days in a month, or 300 hours per month. Starting base salary for these crew members is as low as $50 per month...which comes to approximately $.17 per hour.

I think people are just trying to let you know that tipping is different on cruise ships than on land-based vacations, and tipping on a freestyle ship is different than on traditional cruises (where you tip out the same amount, but in envelopes to certain individuals). You do not need to tip the waitress, or your cabin steward (although you can if you want). The very least you should spend is on the DSC. Bare minimum (but acceptable). Then, maybe to the kids club staff (who aren't part of the DSC). Then, those that go above and beyond.

Do the math. Typical cruise line cabin steward, waiter/waitress or support person woks 10 hours per day for 30 days in a month, or 300 hours per month. Starting base salary for these crew members is as low as $50 per month...which comes to approximately $.17 per hour.

So correct. Some Americans can't understand when they are on a cruise ship it is like they are in a different country. American standards don't fit. Outside of North America few countries actually do any tipping. I repeat, few. And yes, without their share of the daily surcharge, much of the staff aboard a cruise ship earn that little.

They work for tips which includes the daily surcharge. On the other hand the few ship employees with a salary earn very well, including those who work the nursery compared to the others aboard the ship. She is robbing from the poor to feed the rich.

Thanks for the advice! We are stuck with NCL now since we are all booked and paid for. So we will see how it goes. I think the problem is that being American it is beat into our head that we have to tip tip tip all the time, and I always feel horrible for not being gracious when tipping. I have stayed at a lot of top notch hotels and never had to pay anymore more then the hotel rooms and taxes. I guess we will see how it goes:)

While tipping is optional at hotels the industry does recommended tipping ($1 to $5 daily for the maid, additional small amount for evening turn down, room delivery, etc.). Again, as you mentioned it's an American habit to tip.

They work for tips which includes the daily surcharge. On the other hand the few ship employees with a salary earn very well, including those who work the nursery compared to the others aboard the ship. She is robbing from the poor to feed the rich.

She is not robbing anyone, she is inquiring so she can ensure that the people who get paid are the people who watch her kid. Obviously, since it's her 1st cruise, she did not understand how this whole thing works. Giving the babysitter a $50 at the beginning or end of the cruise will solve all of these issues.

The bottom line is, the service charge is a "hidden charge" and it is used to drop the price of the cruises so they look more attractive to us buyers. With that in mind, prepay your service charges and add it to your total costs of the cruise so you feel better.

While tipping is optional at hotels the industry does recommended tipping ($1 to $5 daily for the maid, additional small amount for evening turn down, room delivery, etc.). Again, as you mentioned it's an American habit to tip.

It's also a little overboard now. People tipping for getting a coffee at dunkin donuts; an ice cream at baskin robbins; etc. I do agree with the maid at the hotel though. If anything, it's a nice gesture. We book our limo at an online site which already includes the tip, and we still tip when we are dropped off! It's crazy when you think about it .... but, it's the American way.

We will be in a suite on the Jewel which will have the butler and concierage services..how much and when do we tip them? This is the first time we will be sailing in a suite that has these type of people available so I honestly have no idea how to tip them.

We will be in a suite on the Jewel which will have the butler and concierage services..how much and when do we tip them? This is the first time we will be sailing in a suite that has these type of people available so I honestly have no idea how to tip them.

Perhaps 1000s of post on this subject. The best and simplest guidelines I have seen and use are $10 a day pp for the butler and $5 a day pp for the concierge as a base. This can be adjusted down or up depending on how much you use them. In the end it s up to you and what you feel is right.

On a related note, Royal Caribbean, the last of the major cruise lines that still used the old cash-in-envelope-handed-to-crew-on-the-last-night method is finally abandoning it, effective March 1. It will now automatically add $12 (more for suites) per passenger per day to your on board account. As with NCL's program, reduction of that amount is only supposed to occur in the event of unresolved service issues, not "just because". It remains to be seen how strictly they will enforce that.

What I personally wish is that all the cruise lines that do add $ to your on-board account per day for DSC (or whatever it's called) actually do add it to your on-board account daily. While it remains to be seen how RCL will apply the charges I know NCL seems to bunch them all up and apply them towards the end of the cruise.

In addition, I wouldn't mind if they also forced folks who wanted to remove or reduce the DSC to do it on a daily basis. If there are no problems on day 1, day 2, etc. the full DSC is charged to the account on those days. If someone is having an issue on a certain day - say day 4 - they can go down and reduce or remove the amount for that day only. They can't touch past days that have already been charged to their account, and they can't touch future days because they can't predict future problems with service, etc.

Archived