Uh oh.. Surgery :(

ThisFemmeKat

so i sail in 51 days on my much awaited cruise on the liberty... or do i?? I need you help and expert knowledge.

I just found out I am having a surgery in a month and will not be fit to travel on the above mentioned trip.. no trip insurance.. plus i worry that process would kill me anyway..

i booked this trip over a year ago on early saver.

can i still change the 2 names on the room and only pay 50 pp for the change and someone else can go in my place.. maybe i can find a floridian couple who wants to get away for a week for 900 bucks.. i know some people.. lol But is that option possible.. ?

after being on hold with carnival for 1 hour and no answer, i have taken to new avenues.. Please help..

I think no name changes are allowed on early saver, but if you can swing it, maybe move the cruise to earlier. We had to do that last year. We had a cruise booked for myself, DH, DS, and DD. We booked it about 6 months out. 3 months later we find out DD is pregnant, and would be too far along to go at the time of cruise. I called Carnival and paid the 50.00 pp change fee and moved the cruise up a few weeks so that she could go. If you can not do earlier, maybe they will let you change to a later cruise.

You cannot make a name change and sell the cruise to a different couple. It will forever be in your name(s)........

You can pay the $50pp change fee and rebook the cruise to a time in the future that works better for you.

If you rebook the new cruise at the same time that you cancel the existing cruise, the remainder of your monies will go toward payment for the new cruise.

If you wait to book the new cruise at some future date, the balance of what you've already paid will be given to you on the future cruise as an OBC.....so you essentially have to pay again for an entire cruise in the future.......

Try to find something you can transfer your funds to, that is your cheapest option.......

And I hope that your surgery goes well and you make a complete recovery and are celebrating that recovery aboard a Carnival ship soon......

the surgery cannot be moved.. so i will have to miss out on this trip.. but moving it to another date is fine by us since we still want to take the trip.. my wife is on hold now waiting to see if that can be done.. would it just be the 50 pp to move it? or do we lose the deposit because its only 52 days away?

the surgery cannot be moved.. so i will have to miss out on this trip.. but moving it to another date is fine by us since we still want to take the trip.. my wife is on hold now waiting to see if that can be done.. would it just be the 50 pp to move it? or do we lose the deposit because its only 52 days away?

Should just be a $50pp admin fee to move it to another date. (if they haven't changed the rules since the last time I had to change mine)

*Early Saver: Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Offer is capacity controlled. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplements charges and/or government taxes and fees. Government taxes and fees range from $37.06 to $319.82, and are assessed on a per guest basis and according to the itinerary. Full payment of the per person deposit is required at the time of booking. All cancellations that occur prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. The future cruise credit can only be redeemed on bookings made in USD currency, will be applied to your cruise fare, is non-refundable, non-transferable, any unused portion will be forfeited, and must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Full names are required for each guest. Guest may select the stateroom. Early Saver fare is only available for short cruises (5 days or less), 3 months prior to sail date, and available for long cruises (6 days or longer), 5 months prior to sail date. No name changes are allowed. Early Saver fare is backed by a unique price protection policy that allows you to adjust your cruise fare to the best available fare advertised by Carnival and available to the general public. Carnival will honor your request for price protection if the reduction on the total amount paid for your booking results only from a lower cruise fare and not from the booked ancillary services, such as air, transfers, pre-paid gratuities, or government taxes and fees. Early Saver price protection does not apply to Super Saver and Instant Saver fares, group rates, membership programs, charters, select promotional fares, travel agent rebates, or other travel agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public. The price protection policy applies only to the category booked; no downgrades allowed. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable. A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. The guest is responsible for increases to ancillary services such as air, resulting from changes to ship and/or sail date, or adjustments to cruise fare. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. Cancellation penalties apply. Request Early Saver. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

To submit a Price Protection claim, visit carnival.com/earlysaver. When requesting a cruise fare adjustment, you must provide the lower rate amount and where the rate can be found. Requests will be accepted up to two business days prior to sailing. Lower rate must be: (i) for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; (ii) a qualifying Carnival advertised rate (iii) available for booking at the time the request is reviewed by Carnival's reservation agents. Verified rate difference is issued as an on-board credit. The on-board credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited

I always buy insurance and I had to use it over three years ago for a surgery. I would seriously see if you could postpone the surgery or move your booking. The doctors wanted to operate on me on the week of our departure. They wanted to put gas in my eye to hold the retina in place. They would have put silicone in if I pushed it (can't fly with the gas because it expands at high altitudes). At the time, I was trying to save my eye sight so we cancelled. DH and I look back now and say we should have either forced them to use silicone or postponed my surgery as it did nothing to save my sight. It was our 25th anniversary and a trip of a lifetime (b2b S Caribbean in a suite).

You don't get back much for cancelling a cruise.

I was just logged onto the details of my cruise coming up in a couple of weeks.

I paid a total of $1,125 for my wife and I in a balcony room on a 4-day cruise. This cost also included the "Pre-paid Gratuity" and the optional "Vacation Protection".

If I click on "Is There a Penalty For Cancelling This Booking" .... It says the "Penalty Amount" for my cruise would be $583.

Jeeeze, I even have the optional Vacation Protection, and I will still loose $583 from the original price of $1,125 I paid for the cruise (almost 50% of it)

The last international airline ticket I bought on Delta Airlines had to be cancelled on the day before the flight, and they still did a credit-back to my Mastercard for the FULL AMOUNT of the ticket!

OK.. ultimately.. there was ntohing that could be done that would not result in me losing $500 from my deposit. SOo after long day on the phone.. my surgeon agreed to late me put off the surgery until i get back.. so I will still be sailing.. thank god because i cannot afford to throw away 500 bucks. And lesson learned.. i will be buying coverage. i promise..

Thanks for all your advice, tips, and concern.

OK.. ultimately.. there was ntohing that could be done that would not result in me losing $500 from my deposit. SOo after long day on the phone.. my surgeon agreed to late me put off the surgery until i get back.. so I will still be sailing.. thank god because i cannot afford to throw away 500 bucks. And lesson learned.. i will be buying coverage. i promise..

Like I said above, I have the "Vacation Protection" coverage, and I will still loose 50% of my cruise purchase price if I cancel my upcoming cruise ... so, it don't help much at all.

Glad you able to work it out! Have a ball!

Great to hear.

Very happy for you - enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived