Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

If they get caught not reporting they will get fired but there is also peer pressure.

Lots of "ifs" here (some implied). There is an assumption of compliance, but at the same time, there is an assumption of non-compliance (not necessarily by you, but by a number of CC members posting).

But think with the automatic collection you are telling the cruise line. You have to opt out. You go to desk and say I am not tipping because so and so did bad service. Then they have to explain. They are in trouble. Or you say I will be paying in cash. So they are going to expect the crew to share it. They will write that down. I am sure they will believe you even if there are doubters here......

I do, however, agree that with the new policy, it is much easier to identify potential non-compliance among guests, but should also reduce the amount of non-compliance by staff. And hence, I personally believe that the implementation of the policy is less one of reducing the possibility of a guest stiffing staff, as much as it is the reduction of the staff stiffing or misleading other staff. It is still hard to follow a cash trail, but it is real easy to follow the trail of the sea pass account.

I have had 117 cruises on RCCL, and know for a fact, that they are THRILLED with the Mandatory Gratuities.

They are still not "Mandatory", as all the public information indicates that a guest can go and have it removed (even an earlier post indicated that the guest could actually go and have them all removed). This is "opt out", not "mandatory.

BTW, when I see someone mention a "fact" that is questionable, I usually request some level of study that shows it a "fact". But I will let this statement slide - other than this comment, of course. ;)

Well, I've only ever gone on one cruise, not likely to ever get to go on another one. I cruised with kids, paid my "tip-tuities" in cash, in envelopes, on the last night, which cash I got from cashing TCs. I went by the guidelines and rounded up, then padded it a little because the people were kind, pleasant, and helpful, not necessarily because they did any major above and beyond things, as far as i could tell. I enjoyed giving them the envelopes with a smile and a "thank you- we had a great trip."

If I were to ever cruise again, I have read enough here to say that I think my choice would be to leave the automatically charged grats and IF the cabin attendant and MDR waitstaff were extra special, I would hand them a little extra on top of that

I am an American and I think tip expectation in everyday life is getting out of hand. People expect extra for simply doing what they get paid to do. That drives me a little nuts. But OTOH, I think people who are very personable, smiley and sparkly, and who do their jobs more efficiently or do anything beyond what is in their job descriptions deserve to be rewarded.

And finally, I don't know why anyone would think the singing and dancing performance on one evening in the MDR is painful to watch or that the staff would prefer not to have to do it. Maybe they would, I don't know, but for me that was a moment on my trip that really made me appreciate the staff. I recounted in my trip report how seeing them up there smiling and trying to entertain as they served gave me a special appreciation of how hard they actually do work and I saw them as very beautiful. I am thankful for that moment. It wasn't embarrassing or painful or disruptive of my dining experience. It was fun to watch and enjoy. Obvs others may and do feel differently. Just my $0.02.

Well, I've only ever gone on one cruise, not likely to ever get to go on another one. I cruised with kids, paid my "tip-tuities" in cash, in envelopes, on the last night, which cash I got from cashing TCs. I went by the guidelines and rounded up, then padded it a little because the people were kind, pleasant, and helpful, not necessarily because they did any major above and beyond things, as far as i could tell. I enjoyed giving them the envelopes with a smile and a "thank you- we had a great trip."

If I were to ever cruise again, I have read enough here to say that I think my choice would be to leave the automatically charged grats and IF the cabin attendant and MDR waitstaff were extra special, I would hand them a little extra on top of that

I am an American and I think tip expectation in everyday life is getting out of hand. People expect extra for simply doing what they get paid to do. That drives me a little nuts. But OTOH, I think people who are very personable, smiley and sparkly, and who do their jobs more efficiently or do anything beyond what is in their job descriptions deserve to be rewarded.

And finally, I don't know why anyone would think the singing and dancing performance on one evening in the MDR is painful to watch or that the staff would prefer not to have to do it. Maybe they would, I don't know, but for me that was a moment on my trip that really made me appreciate the staff. I recounted in my trip report how seeing them up there smiling and trying to entertain as they served gave me a special appreciation of how hard they actually do work and I saw them as very beautiful. I am thankful for that moment. It wasn't embarrassing or painful or disruptive of my dining experience. It was fun to watch and enjoy. Obvs others may and do feel differently. Just my $0.02.

"tip-tuities" :)

Well all I got to say is if I lived in Australia, I'd take a nice air-conditioned job in a store selling lipsticks to old ladies. If I get the same minimum-wage money no matter what I do, I sure as hell wouldn't be slinging hash.

And you'd have a smile on your face because you'd be living in one of the best countries in the world with one of the highest standards of living

Forgive me if this has been answered already. I was wondering if you will still need to pre-pay gratuities if you have My Time Dining. I've been cruising with Princess recently, and with Anytime Dining you do not have to pre-pay your gratuities. The tips are taken out of your shipboard account daily. Now that Royal Caribbean is following this same concept, I don't see the need for having to pre-pay gratuities for My Time Dining. One of the few things I didn't like about my last RCCL cruise, was that I had to pay for my tips before I even got on the ship. I definitely prefer to have them taken out daily after I board the ship.

Forgive me if this has been answered already. I was wondering if you will still need to pre-pay gratuities if you have My Time Dining. I've been cruising with Princess recently, and with Anytime Dining you do not have to pre-pay your gratuities. The tips are taken out of your shipboard account daily. Now that Royal Caribbean is following this same concept, I don't see the need for having to pre-pay gratuities for My Time Dining. One of the few things I didn't like about my last RCCL cruise, was that I had to pay for my tips before I even got on the ship. I definitely prefer to have them taken out daily after I board the ship.

When signing up for MTD, gratuities must be prepaid.

ALL of the responses that are VEHEMENTLY AGAINST the change are from the UK (with two notable - and not surprising - exceptions).

The Americans on this thread are saying things liked "YIPPEE!"

That is the reason.

Personally, I'd rather it be something that could just be paid up front with the cruise fare. I like to keep my seapass account free to be able to spend on drinks, shopping and excursions. If I had to have all the gratuities posted there for the entire family, it would take a serious chunk out of my budget for spending on the cruise. Just saying.

I agree, I find it embarrasing to see people shoving cash in someones hand, I never understand tips. I come from Australia, so its hard to imagine anyone being paid a crappy wage and have to smile and charm their wage off customers. I do hope that the USA will one day change their tipping structure, it drives me crazy. People will serve customers well if they are treated well by their employer. If an employee is not going to work hard or treat customers well then the employee may not be treating them well.

Sometimes it helps just to acknowledge that different countries and cultures do things differently. Different doesn't necessarily mean "wrong", just different. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean the US needs to change their tipping structure.

If I have the pleasure of traveling to Australia (and I hope to one day), even if it makes me uncomfortable, I'll know not to tip.

Sometimes it helps just to acknowledge that different countries and cultures do things differently. Different doesn't necessarily mean "wrong", just different. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean the US needs to change their tipping structure.

If I have the pleasure of traveling to Australia (and I hope to one day), even if it makes me uncomfortable, I'll know not to tip.

I am not saying its wrong if it works. What I dont like is that if you and I go into a restaurant and our bill is the same, I tip 15% and you tip 20% the waiter will probably give you more attention over me next time we both go in at the same time. He/she might be busy and if they have to give extra service to someone and not the other it may be you who tips more, If I tip 25 % and you 20% then maybe ill get looked after first.

The same at a bar, If I tip $1 and you tip $2 who is the bartender going to come to first? You, and then ill have to tip 3 to get better service than you. I would rather the bartender got paid a decent wage and that be the end of it but if it works well in some countries then I am happy for that. If I was the bartender I would be very happy

I wonder if this will change with the new policy (I don't know, not judging, just wondering).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, on Celebrity which adopted the policy previously that Royal Caribbean adopted, they still require prepaid gratuities for open dining, so the consensus is that they won't change that with the new policy.

First of all, we always tip. But, I do understand and agree with a few issues. We've been on 38 cruises, so we actually have gotten bored with the dining room experience and menu. So, we typically go to the Windjammer for dinner now. We never go to the dining room for other meals, either. So, should a Windjammer server earn the same tip amount as a dining room server? It's a buffet....I get my own food, I get my own drink, etc. They come around now and then, clear a plate, and offer a drink refill. That's not the same level of service as the dining room, where they wait on you endlessly for about 2 hours. The servers rotate from cruise to cruise, WJ on a cruise, then dining room on another one. So, they all get the chance to work in the dining room and earn the tips.

Next, if someone is going to be automatically charged their gratuities, how can RCCL tell them how to dress to go to the dining room? If the "service charge" is added, then the passenger is entitled to the "service," regardless of whether they choose to wear shorts, for example. They paid, they're entitled to it.

We also frequently use the specialty restaurants and even though the tip is "included," we always add extra. Why should I do that, when I'm being automatically charged that day's dining room tips, and I'm NOT visiting the dining room?

So, yes, we do tip. But, I'd prefer to tip those who serve me directly, and not have a generic gratuity added to my account.

Peter

The servers rotate from cruise to cruise, WJ on a cruise, then dining room on another one. So, they all get the chance to work in the dining room and earn the tips.

Peter

Just to clarify, but the only ones that must work a rotation in the WJ for dinner are the assistant waiters.

Next, if someone is going to be automatically charged their gratuities, how can RCCL tell them how to dress to go to the dining room? If the "service charge" is added, then the passenger is entitled to the "service," regardless of whether they choose to wear shorts, for example. They paid, they're entitled to it.

Peter

I snipped the rest because you pretty much regurgitate the same old same old that we have been discussing in what I snipped from your post, but as far as dress RCI really does not tell anyone how to dress anymore. They make a suggestion but I have seen shorts often in the main dining room the last couple of years at dinner.

As far as being entitled, that does seem to the philosophy of many these days.......

What is your point?

Sure Many Australians do not tip, as do any Americans,Europeans,blah blah blah. There are lots of nationalities that don't tip.

I thought it was apparent.

He said it is not part of our society. Yet my replied showed that it is very much taken as part of our society.

They are still not "Mandatory", as all the public information indicates that a guest can go and have it removed (even an earlier post indicated that the guest could actually go and have them all removed). This is "opt out", not "mandatory.

BTW, when I see someone mention a "fact" that is questionable, I usually request some level of study that shows it a "fact". But I will let this statement slide - other than this comment, of course. ;)

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO OPT OUT ???????:confused:

UNBELIEVABLE----

I am from the US, sailing on the serenade in may and have recieved the notice of automatic gratuity as well. Looks like it is a fleet wide policy. Can understand why they are making the change. Have overheard many conversations onboard from passengers who have no intention of leaving any gratuities. As long as the service does not change I don't have an issue with it.

I am not saying its wrong if it works. What I dont like is that if you and I go into a restaurant and our bill is the same, I tip 15% and you tip 20% the waiter will probably give you more attention over me next time we both go in at the same time. He/she might be busy and if they have to give extra service to someone and not the other it may be you who tips more, If I tip 25 % and you 20% then maybe ill get looked after first.

The same at a bar, If I tip $1 and you tip $2 who is the bartender going to come to first? You, and then ill have to tip 3 to get better service than you. I would rather the bartender got paid a decent wage and that be the end of it but if it works well in some countries then I am happy for that. If I was the bartender I would be very happy

Yet here I'd be surprised if you can tell me you've never been to a shop and the staff member's chatting on the 'phone, or to another staff member, and pays you half - or no - attention for a while, and then you finally get served, and it's still half baked.

You can get bad service in both systems as well.

I'm used to the Australian system and it's simpler for me as I'm used to it, so prefer it. But part of the fun of travelling is doing and learning something different so I accept it as what it is elsewhere.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO OPT OUT ???????:confused:

UNBELIEVABLE----

I'm sure there would be plenty of people who desire to opt out. The point was not if someone would or would not (or should/should not) desire to opt out, but that the policy is not "Mandatory", it is "Opt Out" (i.e. if someone doesn't want to partake, they must specifically request to do so).

Yet here I'd be surprised if you can tell me you've never been to a shop and the staff member's chatting on the 'phone, or to another staff member, and pays you half - or no - attention for a while, and then you finally get served, and it's still half baked.

You can get bad service in both systems as well.

I'm used to the Australian system and it's simpler for me as I'm used to it, so prefer it. But part of the fun of travelling is doing and learning something different so I accept it as what it is elsewhere.

of course you can go into a shop and the person is on the phone, that could happen anywhere. I would hate to think that a tip would resolve that.

It's not regional. I'm in the US and just got the same email, I'm sailing Alaska in May.

I can see the reason for it, but I don't like it - it should be optional. I should still have the option to tip in cash, if I choose to. FYI - it's not so I can get out of tips - I tip the amount, or more, recommended EXCEPT for the Head Waiter - I don't tip him unless he PERSONALLY is of some service to me.

Lydia

ps. when I took my first cruise in 84 on HAL - the lines "big thing" was there were no gratuities (they were included in the cruise fare), and they had excellent service.

Archived