Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Are you sure about this? If that is the case then you may have just sold me on signing up for MTD and pre-paying the gratuities. My whole issue has been taking care of the Windjammer staff since that is where we eat.

I'm thinking she sold me. :D

If they are not going to let me give cash-I'll just sign up for MTD.

Still prefer cold hard cash though!!

According to whom? I have no problem with the $12 pp charge per day and have paid it on the other lines w/o question, but why do you continue to state these as facts when there hasn't been any such facts listed by RCI? Do you work for RCI and have info the rest of us do not have?

Setsail is completely wrong here. I just called RC and you can choose to pay cash and have this removed.

In my opinion, after reading 47 some pages of response to this topic, two things are very clear. #1. People do not like to be told what to do. My way or the highway brushes people wrong and RCI should have known better. #2. For many people the very use of the word "tipping" makes them feel that they are being extorted. Every time I buy a drink on a cruise ship and the bill adds 15% auto gratuity I feel ripped off. Just charge me 15% more for the drink. Other than the food & beverage service industry, everyone else charges a fee for their goods or services and that is that. You don't tip your attorney, doctor or accountant. RCI needs to just raise their cruise fares by $15.00 per person per day and just pay their employees a fair wage comparable to what they would make anyway with all this tip nonsense. Then people wouldn't see it as it would be buried in the cost of the ticket. The government has been doing this to us for years with gas tax, tire tax, cigarette tax, etc. The populous doesn't question it and just pays the price. Most don't even know those hidden taxes are there and thats scary and a whole different conversation. My point is if you are RCI and just raised your fares to cover this very quietly and then sent an email saying... "No more tips required on RCI" , you would have had 47 pages of people extolling the virtues of this new policy. The non tippers would feel vindicated and the tippers would spend even more on the ship since the employees would refuse their gratuities.

for those that go to GS to opt out, the GS people should take their names and room # and notify their room steward and their various waiters that this person or persons have opt out of prepay, this way the cabin steward and waiters can open their envelopes as soon as they are handed to them to check if they were stiffed. BOY WOULD I LOVE TO SEE INSIDE THESE ENVELOPES.

Why, what satisfaction would you get from doing this. Just let people do there own thing and enjoy your holiday.

Can someone please explain to me how they say they are not receiving a service?

Wait staff work all dining venues.... no? On rotation? Midnight buffets? etc

Room stewards..... I've seen do not disturb signs on doors for the entire length of a cruise..... regardless these rooms have to have been made ready for the guest.... and heavens knows what state they were in on debarking.

Head waiter..... who do you think organises the dining room.... trains up the wait staff to describe the menu.... keeps the service running?

I never eat in the MDR or Windjammer as I think they are disgusting. I always book a suite and eat in the CL or a specialty restaurant. I tip the concierge quite generously and although the tips are included in the specialty restaurant fees I typically add a bit more. For just adequate performance I have typically given my stateroom attendant more than the recommended amount.

I have no problem with mandatory tips for the stateroom attendant but bristle at the idea of it going to MDR and Windjammer waiters. Under the new policy I am forced to tip in venues I don't use. Since tips are already added in the specialty restaurant fees, I will end up double tipping. Doesn't make me happy but it won't ruin my cruise experience. However, service will have to be truly outstanding for me to tip more than the recommended amount.

I never eat in the MDR or Windjammer as I think they are disgusting. I always book a suite and eat in the CL or a specialty restaurant. I tip the concierge quite generously and although the tips are included in the specialty restaurant fees I typically add a bit more. For just adequate performance I have typically given my stateroom attendant more than the recommended amount.

I have no problem with mandatory tips for the stateroom attendant but bristle at the idea of it going to MDR and Windjammer waiters. Under the new policy I am forced to tip in venues I don't use. Since tips are already added in the specialty restaurant fees, I will end up double tipping. Doesn't make me happy but it won't ruin my cruise experience. However, service will have to be truly outstanding for me to tip more than the recommended amount.

Where do you eat breakfast and lunch? :confused:

Where do you eat breakfast and lunch? :confused:

Breakfast is served in the CL. On the Oasis class ships lunch is also served in the CL. For lunch there is Sorrentos, Johnny Rockets, the Solerum and other options and when in ports I will eat a local restuarant. I have no problem avoiding the MDR and Windjammer. There is also room service.

Again, its NOT my policy. If it was mine, there would be no opt out period:D

You are correct, it is not your policy. So maybe when you post something as being fact you could at least clarify whether it is fact in RCI's world or just in your world.

You are correct, it is not your policy. So maybe when you post something as being fact you could at least clarify whether it is fact in RCI's world or just in your world.

http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=e1bbe023f9e746f0dcd28523f1c9be68bcb7635b83d49e3efbdd98b5212a49b7665f946035fc58df

Call and tell them you want a copy in writing where it says you can opt out for any reason, this is what you get and when you say it only says for poor service.............Your last word:rolleyes:

However, the wording on the notice sent out in Europe does not seem to back up what you keep saying. That letter states that they can opt out and do things by the old cash system. The letter sent out in the US does not say that. But someone earlier posted that they called RCI and was told that they can opt out. Of course, I am very familiar with how to take information that is given out by customer service reps. Now once everyone is aboard the ship they obviously can't do things according to which country you come from. So, my question is.... how are you so sure that the info that you are providing is the correct info?

The FAQ page on the the web site says it can be removed if service is not satisfactory. It does not give any other reason so until there is evidence otherwise all should assume that is the only reason and not believe anything they don't see in writing. After March 1, on the ships, it might turn out otherwise, but until that actually is confirmed I would assume that the only reason is what they spell out in writing on their web site. The email I recieved does not say anything at all about removing it. That makes it sound like opting out is not going to be easy. But as we know what actually happens could turn out different.

http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=e1bbe023f9e746f0dcd28523f1c9be68bcb7635b83d49e3efbdd98b5212a49b7665f946035fc58df

Call and tell them you want a copy in writing where it says you can opt out for any reason, this is what you get and when you say it only says for poor service.............Your last word:rolleyes:

I have already read that part of the website but thanks for the link.

The FAQ page on the the web site says it can be removed if service is not satisfactory. It does not give any other reason so until there is evidence otherwise all should assume that is the only reason and not believe anything they don't see in writing. After March 1, on the ships, it might turn out otherwise, but until that actually is confirmed I would assume that the only reason is what they spell out in writing on their web site. The email I recieved does not say anything at all about removing it. That makes it sound like opting out is not going to be easy. But as we know what actually happens could turn out different.

I agree with everything you said. Unfortunately, I won't get the benefit of other people's experience as I am sailing March 2.

In my opinion, after reading 47 some pages of response to this topic, two things are very clear. #1. People do not like to be told what to do. My way or the highway brushes people wrong and RCI should have known better. #2. For many people the very use of the word "tipping" makes them feel that they are being extorted. Every time I buy a drink on a cruise ship and the bill adds 15% auto gratuity I feel ripped off. Just charge me 15% more for the drink. Other than the food & beverage service industry, everyone else charges a fee for their goods or services and that is that. You don't tip your attorney, doctor or accountant. RCI needs to just raise their cruise fares by $15.00 per person per day and just pay their employees a fair wage comparable to what they would make anyway with all this tip nonsense. Then people wouldn't see it as it would be buried in the cost of the ticket. The government has been doing this to us for years with gas tax, tire tax, cigarette tax, etc. The populous doesn't question it and just pays the price. Most don't even know those hidden taxes are there and thats scary and a whole different conversation. My point is if you are RCI and just raised your fares to cover this very quietly and then sent an email saying... "No more tips required on RCI" , you would have had 47 pages of people extolling the virtues of this new policy. The non tippers would feel vindicated and the tippers would spend even more on the ship since the employees would refuse their gratuities.

I think it should be included in the fare. But until it is included in the fare I have to do it their way if I book with them.

As for the references throughout this thread to 'stiffing the crew'.... the only ones really stiffing the crew are the cruise line themselves... by not paying a decent wage in the first place.

I agree with you paying people fifty dollars a month,then expecting your customers to pay their salary is insulting to everyone.Royal how about you pay them a better salary,then we also tip them.Your employees lives would be so much better.:eek: :( :mad:

I agree with you paying people fifty dollars a month,then expecting your customers to pay their salary is insulting to everyone.Royal how about you pay them a better salary,then we also tip them.Your employees lives would be so much better.:eek: :( :mad:

As far as the passengers are concerned, it does not matter, really, which pocket the money comes from.

In the fare, as a "service charge" or "gratuity", the money is the same.

Just pay it.

debde, phishtales back at you. i am still waiting for that thread that you mentioned where i said that dia+ will be booted out of the CL..

still waiting........

I thought we cleared that up that you did not use the exact word-'booted'.

I'm sorry. I rapid fire posted the other day and the brain was swiss cheese after that!!:o

But you do keep saying for people with gold cards only-correct!!;)

debde, phishtales back at you. i am still waiting for that thread that you mentioned where i said that dia+ will be booted out of the CL..

still waiting........

Not debde, but phishy,,,,,,you may not have used exactly those words but you did say on another threa that the CL would only be for Suites and the Diamond + would only be able to use the Diamond Lounge.

As far as the passengers are concerned, it does not matter, really, which pocket the money comes from.

In the fare, as a "service charge" or "gratuity", the money is the same.

Just pay it.

What makes sense to me is that it is..... what it is. Even if we don't agree with it. Someday it might be different. We can either cruise with what it is now or not cruise and wait to cruise until someday when it has changed. Nobody is forcing us to book a cruise. Cruises are not a necessity. It is a discretionary leisure activity and there are plenty of other vacation options.

still waiting........

I thought we cleared that up that you did not use the exact word-'booted'.

I'm sorry. I rapid fire posted the other day and the brain was swiss cheese after that!!:o

But you do keep saying for people with gold cards only-correct!!;)

Is this the evidence we need http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36596986&postcount=147 :D:D:D

Archived