Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

I think people should tip what they want.The shame is Royal Caribbean paying their employees fifty dollars a month.And expecting cruisers to pay their salary.How about Royal paying a them a better salary.WHEN THEY RAISE THE TIPS THEY DON'T RAISE WHAT THEY PAY THEM.You pay them better and i will continue to tip them.:eek: :confused: :mad:

However, if RCI did raise the base pay, where do you think they would get the money for it? I highly doubt that it would come out of corporate profits.

I think people should tip what they want.The shame is Royal Caribbean paying their employees fifty dollars a month.And expecting cruisers to pay their salary.How about Royal paying a them a better salary.WHEN THEY RAISE THE TIPS THEY DON'T RAISE WHAT THEY PAY THEM.You pay them better and i will continue to tip them. :eek: :confused: :mad:

That way of thinking holds as much water as a parent telling a teacher, "I pay your salary therefore you will do as I say."

We all COLLECTIVELY keep the cruise company in business but you and I do not set the company's policies.

Your ultimatum is harmful to the worker.

Do not punish the crew member because he/she is not getting paid enough; he/she does not determine his/her salary...tip him/her regardless of his low salary.

Last cruise, wifey and I ate at the specialty restaurants 7 out of 7 nights.

I am normally a decent tipper and usually exceed the forced gratuities for the specialty restaurants as well as the 15% bar services, etc..

However, I have a serious problem having to also pay forced gratuities for personnel in the main dining room when I never ventured in there once.

I suspect I will be requesting ALL my prepaid gratuities returned so I can distribute them as I see fit.

k3vo

Last cruise, wifey and I ate at the specialty restaurants 7 out of 7 nights.

I am normally a decent tipper and usually exceed the forced gratuities for the specialty restaurants as well as the 15% bar services, etc..

However, I have a serious problem having to also pay forced gratuities for personnel in the main dining room when I never ventured in there once.

I suspect I will be requesting ALL my prepaid gratuities returned so I can distribute them as I see fit.

k3vo

Your prepaid tips also go to staff serving breakfast, lunch, WJ and other eating venues.

However, if RCI did raise the base pay, where do you think they would get the money for it? I highly doubt that it would come out of corporate profits.

I agree, also the service would not be as good. Not sure if they would work as hard with a better basic wage.

I think Rci have it right. However, they will always get customer complaints and I think the new set up will keep them to a minimum.

Most people on hear like it.

If i click on any of those links it sends me to the UK website. This is what i have been saying, it looks like they do not want us to see what is on the US site or the Australian site.

Are they trying to hide something?

Please paste and copy so we can all read each others site.

I did this just for you!!:D

What is the Automatic Gratuity Program?

To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities will not have a daily amount charged.

Effective on sailings departing on or after March 1, 2013. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before February 28, 2013.

Does the automatic gratuity apply to all guests?

Yes, the gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories.

How does my gratuity help the crew and who does it go to?

Our guests' complete satisfaction is the goal of every crew and staff member onboard. The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their vacation.

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

• Waiter
  • Assistant Waiter
  • Head Waiter
  • Stateroom Attendant/Other Housekeeping Services
  • Suite Attendant/Other Housekeeping & Suite Services

What if I'm totally WOW'ed and want to provide special recognition for a crew member?

Feel free to recognize crew members who make your voyage exceptionally memorable. You can visit Guest Services to increase the amount of your gratuities or reward a crew member with an additional cash gratuity at your discretion. Gratuity envelopes will be available in your stateroom. You’ll find a Guest Satisfaction Survey there, too—another way you can provide feedback and recognition for WOW worthy crew members.

Are there other gratuities to be expected during my cruise?

A 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, mini bar items, Spa & Salon services. These gratuities may be itemized on your receipt.

Why would I need to modify my gratuity amounts?

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

How do I pay for gratuities

For the convenience of guests, pre-paid gratuities may be arranged online or added to your booking by your travel agent, before your sail date. While onboard, daily gratuities are automatically added to guests’ SeaPass® account if gratuities were not prepaid before February 28, 2013.

I booked my cruise before the Automatic Gratuity Program went into effect. How does this impact my cruise?

The automatic daily gratuity is effective for all Royal Caribbean sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2013. It replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines. However, if you elected to prepay gratuities for your reservation before 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern time on February 28, 2013, previously recommended gratuity rates will apply.

Why is the gratuity automatic?

The automatic daily gratuity is based on customary industry standards. Applying this automatically helps streamline the recognition process for the crew members that work to enhance your cruise. We hope you find the gratuity to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction and we thank you for your generous recognition of our staff. Should you have questions or wish to adjust the amount of the automatic gratuity, please visit Guest Services during your cruise.

Is the gratuity required?

The gratuity is automatically added to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

Is the amount of the automatic daily gratuity different than the previously recommended gratuity amounts?

The daily gratuity amount is $0.35 USD more than the previously recommended daily gratuity amount.

Serious problem? Do you have a serious problem with the fact that your cruise price covers not just the rooms and services on the ship that you do use, it also covers all the rooms and services you don't use?

Which is why RCI needs to remove that option. Just make it manditory so it's part of the cruise price.

Your prepaid tips also go to staff serving breakfast, lunch, WJ and other eating venues.

I understand that. However, it just seems the bulk of the daily dining tip is directed at the MDR service. It still means I am tipping for NO SERVICE!!!

k3vo

Serious problem? Do you have a serious problem with the fact that your cruise price covers not just the rooms and services on the ship that you do use, it also covers all the rooms and services you don't use?

Yes, that is the cruise price to which i agreed..I understand that it does all that. However, a GRATUITY is provided for services rendered. If mandated, this is a SERVICE charge, and one I had not agreed to when I entered my contract with Royal Caribbean.

Legal challenge accepted.

Yes, that is the cruise price to which i agreed..I understand that it does all that. However, a GRATUITY is provided for services rendered. If mandated, this is a SERVICE charge, and one I had not agreed to when I entered my contract with Royal Caribbean.

Legal challenge accepted.

Before going legal, check your customer invoice - guest copy and you will find it is actually called 'on board service charge'. So it is a service charge.

Which is why RCI needs to remove that option. Just make it manditory so it's part of the cruise price.

There is a difference between paying a fare for access to the ship and its amenities and providing a tip to someone who has provided, or not, service to you. There are people who just want to be sure that the tips that they provide go to the people who serve them. Yes I get the "ship system" but it just is not what many people think of, or are used to, when it comes to the act of tipping.

By the way, could you also explain how the concept of tipping and the word that you used... mandatory... fit together? Or did you mean that the act of tipping should be eliminated in favor of some other process like a service charge?

Before going legal, check your customer invoice - guest copy and you will find it is actually called 'on board service charge'. So it is a service charge.

Alex, I just check our Guest Copies of our Booking Invoices for all of our upcoming cruises and it says "Gratuities" on all of them.:o Does it say something different on what you see on your side of the pond?

This fun.....I had gone 8 cruises and never had a single problem. However, on my last cruise I decided to do the MTD and maybe it was a singled out incident but my waiter was pretty bad. I've never had a problem with any waiters on any of my trips, I understand that sometimes things get going and they may be a bit behind, but on my last cruise we had a night that our water was never refilled, and our waiter leterally went about 30 minutes without coming to our table....during which we were able to observe him leaning over a tray station flirting with several waitresses and pulling his phone out of his pocket and texting among other things that I felt was wrong and unprofessional.

I understood that this was an isolated incident but I was there with a family of 4 and I did have my gratuities adjusted for that single meal. Did it make much of a difference for me or them....no.....but I felt better because of the principle of the whole thing.

I love you guys that love RCL.....but if the day comes you truely get bad service or no service at all you deserve the right to fix it without issues.

My thoughts exactly.

Royal Caribbean keeps details on each of us that sail with them.

In going to Guest Services to remove tips you risking a note recorded in the computer. Think about this being it, "Guest removes auto tips because they claim that service was subpar."

Those of you who are too cheap to pay the tips should own up to that fact at Guest Services and at least protect the crew members that you stiff on tips.

Your tipping or not tipping does not effect me, but please don't risk throwing a crew member under the bus.

When going to guest services to either remove or adjust the gratuities

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE A REASON or explain yourself

My thoughts exactly.

Royal Caribbean keeps details on each of us that sail with them.

In going to Guest Services to remove tips you risking a note recorded in the computer. Think about this being it, "Guest removes auto tips because they claim that service was subpar."

Those of you who are too cheap to pay the tips should own up to that fact at Guest Services and at least protect the crew members that you stiff on tips.

Your tipping or not tipping does not effect me, but please don't risk throwing a crew member under the bus.

I think that people who stiff the crew and remove their tips do effect all of us who sail on Royal Caribbean ships. We have to make up the slack. Meaning if the crew isn't being adequately compensated because people are stiffing them

then the Cruise Line may be forced to raise mandatory gratuities to make up the difference.

Haven't the tips been raised twice in the last couple years already? And now mandatory gratuities. I think this is a problem for the cruise line and it might just coincide with the major presence of ships in Europe.

I for one am glad of this new policy. They have it on other Lines that I have sailed and it just makes it easier. I look at it like a service charge and wish they would call it such. When I get good service from bar waiters or in the Specialty Restaurants I tip generously. If I have an especially attentive cabin attendant or Dining staff I will tip extra. Nobody says everyone has to do that but a lot of us do tip extra, both on land and sea.

I wish they would just add the service charge and then tell customers tipping is not required. Plenty of us are going to tip anyway and many won't. Just like at all-inclusives. Tipping is not expected or required but that doesn't mean I don't tip. I think all-inclusives are set up that way because that type of vacation is very popular with Europeans, many of whom don't have a culture of tipping so generously as do Americans. In my opinion the Cruise lines should be set up the same way.

Alex, I just check our Guest Copies of our Booking Invoices for all of our upcoming cruises and it says "Gratuities" on all of them.:o Does it say something different on what you see on your side of the pond?
I can confirm that on the invoices it says 'On Board Service Charge' not Gratuities.

I wish they would just add the service charge and then tell customers tipping is not required. Plenty of us are going to tip anyway and many won't. Just like at all-inclusives. Tipping is not expected or required but that doesn't mean I don't tip. I think all-inclusives are set up that way because that type of vacation is very popular with Europeans, many of whom don't have a culture of tipping so generously as do Americans. In my opinion the Cruise lines should be set up the same way.

I think that will happen. As cruising has become international and will continiue in that direction with additional European and Asian customers, I don't think the rest of the world is going to adapt American tipping. The cruise lines will instead have to adapt a mandatory service charge or include it in the fare.

At the same time in the future with the internet, social media, etc. and globalization, expansion of the cruise industry, it may become more difficult for the cruise industry to recruit labor based on the current compensation system.

I think that people who stiff the crew and remove their tips do effect all of us who sail on Royal Caribbean ships. We have to make up the slack. Meaning if the crew isn't being adequately compensated because people are stiffing them

then the Cruise Line may be forced to raise mandatory gratuities to make up the difference.

Haven't the tips been raised twice in the last couple years already? And now mandatory gratuities. I think this is a problem for the cruise line and it might just coincide with the major presence of ships in Europe.

I for one am glad of this new policy. They have it on other Lines that I have sailed and it just makes it easier. I look at it like a service charge and wish they would call it such. When I get good service from bar waiters or in the Specialty Restaurants I tip generously. If I have an especially attentive cabin attendant or Dining staff I will tip extra. Nobody says everyone has to do that but a lot of us do tip extra, both on land and sea.

If I can just seize on one technical aspect of this. It is not the passengers stiffing the crew, it is the cruise lines stiffing the crew.

The cruise lines are selling their cruises "cheap" and "cheap people" buy "cheap cruises" and we all know cheap people do not tip. The cruise line has shot itself in the foot by catering to cheap people. In effect it is a devious method by the cruise line to boost sales by having a lower initial fare and trying to slug passenges with the charges once they board. The cruise lines allow passengers to remove the auto tips because they know that they are poor and cant afford to tip.

I have never been to a hotel in the world where service charges were not included. I think it has to be this way with cruise lines. They really need to have service charges included in the initial fare with accommodation and meals.

If I can just seize on one technical aspect of this. It is not the passengers stiffing the crew, it is the cruise lines stiffing the crew.

The cruise lines are selling their cruises "cheap" and "cheap people" buy "cheap cruises" and we all know cheap people do not tip. The cruise line has shot itself in the foot by catering to cheap people. In effect it is a devious method by the cruise line to boost sales by having a lower initial fare and trying to slug passenges with the charges once they board. The cruise lines allow passengers to remove the auto tips because they know that they are poor and cant afford to tip.

I have never been to a hotel in the world where service charges were not included. I think it has to be this way with cruise lines. They really need to have service charges included in the initial fare with accommodation and meals.

Going in reverse of your pionts.

Many hotels don't include service charges. Been in many in the world that do not. But I think they need include it on cruises.

The cruise lines don't cater to cheap people. Nor do poor people cruise. The middle class cruises. The middle class strives to become wealthy, an unlikey dream, the reality is many are a few paychecks from becoming poor if there is some financial disaster like loss of employment or small business, major illness. So some are tight.

As far as stiffing the crew. Passengers not paying the gratuities is stiffing the crew. Of course the cruise line compensation system is also stiffing the crew. Very little that passengers can do about the cruise lines stiffing the crew. The crew will have to wage that fight.

I like this new policy because it actually once again allows tipping in the true sense of the word.

We can banter back and forth all day about mandatory tips, gratuities, service charges, or whatever you want to call it. But the fact of the matter is the compensation structure for the mass cruise market for wait, bar, and room staff is built with a component that is the recommended charge 7.40 a day or whatever it is now. It really doesn't matter what you call it or what service you use or don't use.

Now with this change we now have leveled the playing field, and it makes the compensation structure for these people whole, and what they expect. Its nothing special, its just another part of their pay, just like if someone worked overtime and got paid time and a half. The half isn't special it's whats expected.

Now with a level playing field Tipping once again becomes special. I can choose to TIP for service beyond the norm and it truly will be above and beyond what is expected by the person I'm giving it to, and it will once again mean something.

Archived