Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Does anyone at this point think a bunch of RCI suits sat around a table in Miami and created a mandatory tip plan, plus a whole series of Q/A about the tip policy and posted all this info on its world sites plus sent out emails worldwide and then

Tells all their vp's to just tell people it really does not mean anything, if they do not like it, tell them to just ignore it:D:rolleyes:

My point of disagreement, is that they did not create a "mandatory tip plan". If they wanted something mandatory, just follow suit with those that do (and get away with it) by adding a service charge that includes basic tips. All the lines that have put forth the "automatic gratuity" allow the guest to alter the amount (including all the way to $0).

What they have changed is from an opt-in (guest had to specifically pay the tip by prepay, onboard, or cash-in-an-envelope), to an opt-out (it will be taken out at the standard rate unless the guest tells them otherwise).

FWIW, I suspect the primary reason for this change is not to reduce the incidence of "stiffing", but for bookkeeping and taxes (they don't pay a lot of US taxes, but they do pay taxes to some government as well as withholding that may be required by the country of citizenship of the employee). That it may reduce the incident of low/no tip is only a benefit (and only to the employee, not the cruise line).

As I mentioned previously: cash is hard to follow, but the seapass account is quite easy. If all tips are paid through prepay or seapass, you have a complete record as far as any tax authority demands. It even fully covers the case where someone chooses just to reduce or even remove the tip amount (there really can be no disagreement between the employee and the RCI, as RCI has the legal values the pax paid - even if the only reason were poor service). It has the added advantage of getting immediate guest feedback: "Why would you like to reduce/remove the gratuity?" This is awesome information for the suits to determine not only how the policy is being perceived, but potentially identify areas that could use improvement.

Further, I don't actually mind the new policy, because for me, the only reason to reduce or not tip, is because I did get poor service. This allows me the opportunity to (nearly) immediately notify guest relations of unsatisfactory results and show displeasure in the pocketbook. And just maybe improvement would occur while I am still on the ship, and not have me leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

That's the way I'm reading it also. If you have cruises booked but not completely paid for, they can very easily update the gratuity amount.

The FAQ page ays:

Gratuities

Q: I booked my cruise before the Automatic Gratuity Program went into effect. How does this impact my cruise?

A: The automatic daily gratuity is effective for all Royal Caribbean sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2013. It replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines. However, if you elected to prepay gratuities for your reservation before 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern time on February 28, 2013, previously recommended gratuity rates will apply.

I take that to mean if we booked before midnight on Feb 28, the old rate applies.

Sure do hope so. That extra $4.90 isn't part of our budget!

The FAQ page ays:

Gratuities

Q: I booked my cruise before the Automatic Gratuity Program went into effect. How does this impact my cruise?

A: The automatic daily gratuity is effective for all Royal Caribbean sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2013. It replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines. However, if you elected to prepay gratuities for your reservation before 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern time on February 28, 2013, previously recommended gratuity rates will apply.

I take that to mean if we booked before midnight on Feb 28, the old rate applies.

You could be right.:)

The FAQ page ays:

Gratuities

I take it to mean that you have to add prepaid gratuities to a booking before midnight Feb 28 to get the old rate.

I take it to mean that you have to add prepaid gratuities to a booking before midnight Feb 28 to get the old rate.

Bob, you are correct. I just received an email from my contact at C&A and this is what I was told...........

"Your invoices should be adjusting very soon. All sailing's after March 1, 2013 will be on our new gratuity program and if pre paid gratuities are on the reservation and not paid for as of March 1, 2013 they will automatically adjust to the new gratuity amount. If you pay for the gratuities prior to March 1, 2013 it will be at the lesser amount".

And, IMHO, this is the way it should be.

To clarify the point, I booked the cruise and chose "my time" dining. Then the gratuities are added to the cruise price as a mandatory pre-pay with final payment. I don't know about it if you pick reserved dining if they can raise the price before and after final payment

Bob, you are correct. I just received an email from my contact at C&A and this is what I was told...........

"Your invoices should be adjusting very soon. All sailing's after March 1, 2013 will be on our new gratuity program and if pre paid gratuities are on the reservation and not paid for as of March 1, 2013 they will automatically adjust to the new gratuity amount. If you pay for the gratuities prior to March 1, 2013 it will be at the lesser amount".

And, IMHO, this is the way it should be.

So it sounds as if you not only have to have prepaid gratuities on the booking by Feb 28, but they have to be paid also. In other words, if you had a booking with just the deposit paid, you would have to call them and pay the additional cost for the gratuities before Feb 28. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to save $0.35 per person per day.

So it sounds as if you not only have to have prepaid gratuities on the booking by Feb 28, but they have to be paid also. In other words, if you had a booking with just the deposit paid, you would have to call them and pay the additional cost for the gratuities before Feb 28. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to save $0.35 per person per day.

I reread your post above where I posted my response from C&A and I actually miss read what you said. :o<sigh>:o

If you have prepaid gratuities currently showing on a future booking and you do not pay prior to March 1, the gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the increase of $.35pp per day which will, of course, increase your total amount due when final payment date arrives..

To clarify the point, I booked the cruise and chose "my time" dining. Then the gratuities are added to the cruise price as a mandatory pre-pay with final payment. I don't know about it if you pick reserved dining if they can raise the price before and after final payment

Prepaid gratuities are only required when you do MTD and are included in your final payment. By doing this you will not be charged a daily amount once on board.

If you chose Traditional Dining then gratuities of $12.00pp per day ($14.25 if you are in a GS cabin or above) will be added to your SeaPass Account daily while on board.

I reread your post above where I posted my response from C&A and I actually miss read what you said. :o<sigh>:o

If you have prepaid gratuities currently showing on a future booking and you do not pay prior to March 1, the gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the increase of $.35pp per day which will, of course, increase your total amount due when final payment date arrives..

I have a Sept cruise which final payment is due June 23rd. I have paid all but a $400 balance because after our March cruise we will be Diamond so I'll be getting an extra $100 off and I have submitted a RCCL VISA 15k upgrade for the max $300 that has yet to be applied.

I really don't care at all about an extra $5, but just curious for those who've paid more than just the balance if I should expect an adjustment. I assume they mean for cruises which have not reached their final payment date before March 1 and your balance is not 0.00, you will pay the new?

We have MTD. I'd hate to think I was paid in full after my credits are applied and find out I still owe money and chance losing my cabin.

The FAQ page ays:

Gratuities

I disagree

I received my email Feb 12th ( my Hawian cruise has been booked for over one year, it already had pre paid tips included as we do MTD )

The subject in the email " Important Information Regarding Your Upcoming Cruise"

Dear George,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of a change to our gratuity policy. As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

If you have already prepaid gratuities for your upcoming cruise, this policy change will not affect you. Accordingly, we will not apply the daily gratuity to your account while you are onboard. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, you will see the daily automatic gratuity applied to your onboard SeaPass® account during your upcoming cruise.

Click Here for more details on this policy. Thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Prepaid gratuities are only required when you do MTD and are included in your final payment. By doing this you will not be charged a daily amount once on board.

If you chose Traditional Dining then gratuities of $12.00pp per day ($14.25 if you are in a GS cabin or above) will be added to your SeaPass Account daily while on board.

Hi Patti,

What if on a shorter Oasis sailing, I choose not to go to MDR at all? I opt to spend the suggested gratuities guideline on the available specialty restaurants as I was lead to believe...that is the gratuities for the crew assigned in the area. Is this a good enough reason to opt out or am I still obligated for auto pre pay gratuities to MDR services that I'll not be utilising?

I always tip above the guideline and most recently in cash only and (directly to those that involved in looking after me during my cruise holiday)...but in fairness, I've also thought of the other crew assigned in public area and complimentary F&B venues eg. Windjammer & towel boy/girl etc? Hope there's fairness in the system and all crew front & back of house get a slice of the gratuities pie :).

"You can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise"

Joey and Brian,

sandra from Liberty here. How are you guys?

I think the short answer to your first questiom is 'No'. However, if you decide that is the correct thing to do, you won't have any trouble taking off the automatic tips and doing what you want. We have only been on Carnival once, and we didn't know they added the tips to the bill. We wanted to use up the US Dollars we had so asked to have them removed, and paid the full tips to individuals in cash. Guest Services didn't ask why, they just took them off the bill. I didn't want to pay my bill in cash as then you have to wait in the long queue on the last day when you want to be in the sun! On our first Liberty TA we asked the MDR staff and cabin steward whether they would prefer US dollars or euros as they were going to be in Europe for the next 6 months. The cabin guy said euros, so we went to the bank in Cadiz and got Euros for him. In those circumstances I would have no hestitation in asking for the auto tips to be removed and do what I thought was best. I realyl could not care if someone thinks I am in the queue to 'stiff the staff', as I and the good man above, know I am not.

Happy cruising. Sorry you are not going on Indy this year, but will catch up sometime.

Thanks Sandra,

Thought so...Indy would have been great but did not tie in with connecting Mariner Repo from BCN to SIN. Have to reschedule...crossing TA on X Eclipse to Southampton before embarking on Mariner.

I also have to inform Chiqui for a perfect reunion on Oasis for 2014...stay in touch via cruise critter site :) Not long before your TA on Indy too.

I have a Sept cruise which final payment is due June 23rd. I have paid all but a $400 balance because after our March cruise we will be Diamond so I'll be getting an extra $100 off and I have submitted a RCCL VISA 15k upgrade for the max $300 that has yet to be applied.

I really don't care at all about an extra $5, but just curious for those who've paid more than just the balance if I should expect an adjustment. I assume they mean for cruises which have not reached their final payment date before March 1 and your balance is not 0.00, you will pay the new?

We have MTD. I'd hate to think I was paid in full after my credits are applied and find out I still owe money and chance losing my cabin.

I don't believe becoming Diamond will be applied to a cruise already booked,did anyone tell you this or am I reading your post wrong?:confused:

I would call C&A 1-800-526-9723 and ask.

I don't believe becoming Diamond will be applied to a cruise already booked,did anyone tell you this or am I reading your post wrong?:confused:

Sure, Royal will apply the Diamond balcony discount to a cruise already booked.

The FAQ page ays:

Gratuities

If you want to save $4.90 you will have to pay your gratuities prior to midnight on February 28.

After you have earned a higher level in C&A, all cruises that are booked will be adjusted to reflect the higher balcony discount.

Once I turned Diamond , I called my TA and had the discount applied to 3 cruises I had already booked, are you working with a TA ?

Archived