Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Hi Patti,

What if on a shorter Oasis sailing, I choose not to go to MDR at all? I opt to spend the suggested gratuities guideline on the available specialty restaurants as I was lead to believe...that is the gratuities for the crew assigned in the area. Is this a good enough reason to opt out or am I still obligated for auto pre pay gratuities to MDR services that I'll not be utilising?

I always tip above the guideline and most recently in cash only and (directly to those that involved in looking after me during my cruise holiday)...but in fairness, I've also thought of the other crew assigned in public area and complimentary F&B venues eg. Windjammer & towel boy/girl etc? Hope there's fairness in the system and all crew front & back of house get a slice of the gratuities pie :).

"You can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise"

You pose a good question. I do not eat in either the MDR or Windjammer as I enjoy the speciality restaurants and would rather spend my money there instead of on shore excursions. On the Allure and Oasis the CL serves breakfast and lunch plus there are several other options for both these meals. Tips are already included in the specialty restaurant fees so with the new tip policy I end up double tipping. I typically tip well above the sugggest guidelines but am having some difficulty seeing my tips going to venues I choose not to use.

You pose a good question. I do not eat in either the MDR or Windjammer as I enjoy the speciality restaurants and would rather spend my money there instead of on shore excursions. On the Allure and Oasis the CL serves breakfast and lunch plus there are several other options for both these meals. Tips are already included in the specialty restaurant fees so with the new tip policy I end up double tipping. I typically tip well above the sugggest guidelines but am having some difficulty seeing my tips going to venues I choose not to use.

I hate to sound cynical but I find it hard to swallow passengers eating every night at the specialty restaurants. They provide too intense a dining experience, too much food and take up too much time to enjoy them every evening. It is difficult enough to endure the MDR many course dinners and time every evening so I believe those who go to the buffet a few evenings or most evenings. But specialty restaurants every evening, doubtful. Also if someone is okay paying the fees of doing the specialty restaurant every evening why would they make a big deal about a small amount of gratuities going to the MDR?

I hate to sound cynical but I find it hard to swallow passengers eating every night at the specialty restaurants. They provide too intense a dining experience, too much food and take up too much time to enjoy them every evening. It is difficult enough to endure the MDR many course dinners and time every evening so I believe those who go to the buffet a few evenings or most evenings. But specialty restaurants every evening, doubtful. Also if someone is okay paying the fees of doing the specialty restaurant every evening why would they make a big deal about a small amount of gratuities going to the MDR?
I won't list the many reasons this is insulting to a fellow poster but an apology would be appropriate.:(

Of the many courses that are provided, in both the MDR and the Specialty Restaurants , there is nothing in writing that says you have to order each and every one.:eek: Just because it's listed on the menu doesn't mean it has to end up on your table.:)

We have met more than a few cruising couples that take every evening meal in a specialty restaurant.

Of the many courses that are provided, in both the MDR and the Specialty Restaurants , there is nothing in writing that says you have to order each and every one.:eek: Just because it's listed on the menu doesn't mean it has to end up on your table.:)

Whatever you order or eat it ends up as a long event.

Spending all that extra fees why be concerned about a small amount of gratuities?

I don't know how they do it. One time is about all I can handle. Too much time, food and service.

and this is one of the reasons we love cruising, so many options and everyone gets the chance to do the things THEY like to do or spend their vacation the way THEY like to. It is not a simple one size fits all. You may not see the value, but obviously many others do.

Charles, I do indeed eat in specialty restautrants every night. Partly because I enjoy the menus, personalized service and better food but also because I can get the food I want without having to endure the many courses of the MDR. Typically, a good glass of wine, dinner salad, filet mignon - medium rare with a few spears of asparagus. No dessert other that a nice glass of port. I, like many, tend to overindulge at buffets so I look for better options and avoid the Windjammer.

Sorry, but this really does come across as out of line. Maybe every night specialty dining would not suite you, or me, but to call someone out who you don't even know is not appropriate.

And no matter how much he has spent on his cruise, for all we all know he could be in a Royal Suite, his reasoning for wanting his tip funds to go to where he is served is his business.

Charles, I do indeed eat in specialty restautrants every night. Partly because I enjoy the menus, personalized service and better food but also because I can get the food I want without having to endure the many courses of the MDR. Typically, a good glass of wine, dinner salad, filet mignon - medium rare with a few spears of asparagus. No dessert other that a nice glass of port. I, like many, tend to overindulge at buffets so I look for better options and avoid the Windjammer.

Sounds good to me. Know what I will be dreaming about tonight.

That does it, there's nothing to do but cancel!!!!! :p

Seriously, though, their wording is open to interpretation. We, too, have MTD, and haven't received any notification. Just now checked, and my remaining balance hasn't changed.

I disagree

I received my email Feb 12th ( my Hawian cruise has been booked for over one year, it already had pre paid tips included as we do MTD )

The subject in the email " Important Information Regarding Your Upcoming Cruise"

Dear George,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of a change to our gratuity policy. As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

If you have already prepaid gratuities for your upcoming cruise, this policy change will not affect you. Accordingly, we will not apply the daily gratuity to your account while you are onboard. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, you will see the daily automatic gratuity applied to your onboard SeaPass® account during your upcoming cruise.

Click Here for more details on this policy. Thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

That does it, there's nothing to do but cancel!!!!! :p

Seriously, though, their wording is open to interpretation. We, too, have MTD, and haven't received any notification. Just now checked, and my remaining balance hasn't changed.

It hasn't changed because it's not March 1 yet. You have up until that date to pay your gratuities at the current rate. If you do not, then your gratuities will be adjusted by $.35pp per day.

I don't know how they do it. One time is about all I can handle. Too much time, food and service.

Easy Charles...it's personal preference. We do eat at MDR...pending on duration of cruise. It's our first on an Oasis class and the many available choices are most tempting. Over indulging is also one of my weakness but in saying that...I love your novelty fast food eg. Johnny Rocket & Boardwalk Doghouse too. There's a need for me to try a range of new varieties from 150 to Seafood Shack on board my coming Oasis sailing.

We are not as lucky as you with the many choices in RC fleet & itineraries in your part of the world. We Aussies have to fly halfway around the world for preferred cruise itineraries and would like to make the most of our cruising experiences...when we do get there :)

It's not about being tight...but we are not throwing $$$ away either. Being able to save and stretch the dollars further, always a contributing factor in a fun & successful holiday.

This forum is re: auto pre pay gratuities and hope you don't mind if I repeat the question again? If I do not wish to eat at MDR, are we still being obligated? We would appreciate inputs coming from a tipping culture.

P.s. I was in hospitality industry for over 25 years and have more or less always tip...even living in a non tipping culture/part of the world?

On a short cruise of less than 8 nights it is quite plausible that many cash only paying tippers pay the recommended or even above amount of tips

On longer cruises of more than 10 nights I dont believe the "majority" of cash only tippers would tip the recommended or above amounts.

Given my up coming 14 night cruise, all drinks have an added tip included when i pay for them and all speciality foods have an added tip included when i pay for them I dont think for my twin share cabin I would leave $336 or above in an envelope at the end of the cruise, alternatively I also cannot see me giving out $24 per day in cash to servers/staff. In fact I know this would be true!

Relate this to quad share or family of four and it becomes almost totally unbelievable!

$672 or above dished out in cash tips or left in an envelope last day by dad? I dont think so! no matter what tipping culture you come from.

If you pre pay its all part of the cruise cost! But if its deducted daily like the new system then some in other countries just like Australians who have been used to both pre paid/daily paid systems for many years,will attend guest services last night or before to remove some or all of the gratuity due to choice and temptation of crews bank balance V your own bank balance:p

This may not relate to "you" personally or many frequent cruisers but I think it would to the majority of people who are not CC members and who go on a cruise as a Vacation, which is the majority of overall cruisers.

Many cruises in The USA are what others may deem way to short to bother with. Most cruises from Australia are above 10 nights because we are so far from ports.

Reducing tips or "Stiffing" would be just as prevalent in USA as it is in Australia on longer cruises,it is all part of economizing the family budget.

RCI know this so are making it difficult for many to pay a reduced recommended Gratuity amount by making them attend Guest services and proclaim bad service to remove the daily added charges.

You would have to be a Hard Arse to front Guest services and say the entire service was bad for all in your party or family dont you think?

I also think and again its just my thought that Cash only tippers who remove the daily charge would now be treated as non Gratuity payers by RCI staff.

I bring aboard a case of soda and sometimes smuggle booze and with doing either I am stiffing drinks staff of their 15% and signed for additional Gratuity anyway, I organize self port tours and by doing so am Stiffing the shore tours staff of their sales commission;)

A few on this thread have said they may as well do MTD now! Why would they say that? what has changed? The fact that full gratuities will be charged regardless of how you choose to dine plays a big factor in how some people profess to have paid 100% gratuities in the past with MDR dinner!

Den

It's not about being tight...but we are not throwing $$$ away either. Being able to save and stretch the dollars further, always a contributing factor in a fun & successful holiday.

This forum is re: auto pre pay gratuities and hope you don't mind if I repeat the question again? If I do not wish to eat at MDR, are we still being obligated? We would appreciate inputs coming from a tipping culture.

P.s. I was in hospitality industry for over 25 years and have more or less always tip...even living in a non tipping culture/part of the world?

I do think the whole discussion is about being tight. I have no issue about being tight on certain things. For example I rarely do a cruise line excursion. I do private excursions because they are usually better quality, less crowded and less expensive or equal price. I don't mind hurting the cruise company revenue. They make plenty of profits and their executives get massive compensation. The problem with being tight with the gratuities is that it hurts the workers whose compensation, most of it, is dependent on these gratuities. I think it is a lousy system but it is the one in place.

As far as are you obligated, under the new policy you can read on their website, you are obligated, but you can opt out for bad service.

Does that mean they won't let you opt out for other reasons.......I can only guess at this point before the policy goes into effect. I guess yes if you really insist, but then that is only my guess. It might turn out they won't.

I do think the whole discussion is about being tight. I have no issue about being tight on certain things. For example I rarely do a cruise line excursion. I do private excursions because they are usually better quality, less crowded and less expensive or equal price. I don't mind hurting the cruise company revenue. They make plenty of profits and their executives get massive compensation. The problem with being tight with the gratuities is that it hurts the workers whose compensation, most of it, is dependent on these gratuities. I think it is a lousy system but it is the one in place.

As far as are you obligated, under the new policy you can read on their website, you are obligated, but you can opt out for bad service.

Does that mean they won't let you opt out for other reasons.......I can only guess at this point before the policy goes into effect. I guess yes if you really insist, but then that is only my guess. It might turn out they won't.

Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

The above Q&A from RCI lends me to believe you are correct in your guess

Unless the part that states:

"a guest onboard being charged"

actually means the ones who chose not to remove it at the start of the cruise? which I doubt as it really relates to those who pre paid for MTD and cannot adjust down unlike those who pre paid without MTD and can adjust down along with the ones who pay daily.:)

Den

Den,

We use to rum run :eek: (not anymore) but still avg $1500 on bar tab on cruise holiday :(. After turning D & D+, bar tab is significantly reduce re: Diamond Club & Concierge Lounge perks...yayy! At the end of the day we do tip the bar server and concierge generously.

Being treated as a non gratuity payer by crew on board is fine (unfortunately, there's a double standard in service...pls don't quote me, but I had my share of experiences with surly waiters when assigned MTD & usually during b'fast & lunch in MDR)...but being register by RCI as non payer...is a different story?

I do understand the family quad share situation...it can add up.

BTW: love your signature...I've just stop recently, good job :). Go on, pat yourself on the back.

Charles,

I also opt for independent shore excursion most of the time. Like yourself I find their quality to be better and provided more comprehensive commentary by the locals.

I thought it would be in the crew favor when I tipped in cash? Still don't like the idea of being obligated/regulated...but, what to do? The gratuities is part of my cruise fare budget and I still tip the recommended guideline for mediocre service but added extra for exceptional services. Am I being silly for being generous and spoiling the market for all?

I could not go to guest services and claim for "bad service" and have my gratuities remove (if I opt for pre paid), knowing that certain crew will be question or perhaps penalize. Is this RC method of weeding/finding out who is not in line with their WOW concept...passengers included?

Archived