RSVP MSC Divina 2.15.14

bradpole

I will be arriving in Miami around 2PM the same day. Is that too close for comfort?

I assume you are flying to Miami.

Even though we sail at 7 pm, arriving at 2 pm is still cutting it close. It is best to arrive at least a day ahead, especially in winter.

Where are you flying from? Is it a non-stop flight? There are so many things that can go wrong. Weather problems don't even have to be anywhere near you, disruptions elsewhere can affect travelers far away. Planes can also have mechanical problems. With planes flying so full these days your chances of getting on another flight when there is a problem are slim to nill.

I would fly in at least the night before. We will actually fly down Wednesday after work.

Thanks for all the info on beverages,guys. I am very open minded about MSC,however one reason I enjoyed HAL was that you were allowed to carry on a bottle or two of wine/champagne at embarkation. I understand from MSC "customer service" this is verboten ! That was such a nice perk with HAL. Any info if this rule is being relaxed for RSVP ?

The $85 wine pkg @ dinner which would be a bottle each night seems like a good option for me, however, since my mates are not drinkers, an entire bottle for me at dinner would be a bit much. I was told by customer service that I COULD NOT take the remaining wine to my room. True for RSVP? Be nice to have the left over for later! as opposed to it being opened and held for the next dinner. Any info on this ?

Lastly , MSC said that I needed to purchase the pkg PRE BOARDING with an agent to get the $85 price point. If I bought it at the front desk in route, I would be charged an 18% gratuity. So now the front desk is serving me ?

Any additional info would help. Sincerely, a wineo who just can't drink an entire bottle at dinner and still stand up!!! Thanks

I think this info from Randle will answer your questions:

nless otherwise indicated, vouchers can be used in the main restaurant only. If vouchers are lost, they cannot be replaced. Also, unused vouchers have no cash value and cannot be returned for credit at the end of your cruise. Please note that unlimited consumption packages are unavailable on all charter sailings.

Although MSC’s website makes it appear as though you can “pre-book” a beverage package, don’t do this. Only packages purchased once onboard Divina will be honored.

Alcoholic Beverage Restrictions

Bottles of alcohol purchased in the ship’s stores or otherwise brought onboard cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be held for safekeeping and can be collected on the last day of the voyage. This prohibition includes bottles of wine and champagne, as well. Duty Free alcohol bought on board must be collected on the last day after 7:00pm in the Duty Free shop. Exceptions: any wine bought through the bars or restaurants may be consumed in your cabins. Also, any opened but unfinished wine bottles brought onboard can be taken back to your cabin.

See you on board!

~Jeff

I have cruised before on Carnival cruises.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and RSVP!

Have you cruised before? If there is anything you want to know, ask. We can try and answer.

For a look at what RSVP cruises look like, there are tons of pictures at gaycruisepictures.com

Thanks for the feedbacks, Hobie and boytjie! Yes, flying directly to Miami from Los Angeles. I will seriously consider your advice, and possibly re-book. Thanks again guys!

Direct but is it non-stop?

In 2010 people with flights landing in Dallas on the way to Ft. Lauderdale had delays due to snow/ice. Then again, the whole East Coast was a mess too.

I would rebook; if you miss the departure in Miami you miss 2 of the 7 days of the cruise.

Thanks for the feedbacks, Hobie and boytjie! Yes, flying directly to Miami from Los Angeles. I will seriously consider your advice, and possibly re-book. Thanks again guys!

If you can get you flight changed and need a hotel, I have a suggestion.

We booked a pre-boarding room thru Dan Howell Travel. He is promoting a bear cruise contingent under the RSVP umbrella. You do not have to part of the bear contingent to get the pre-boarding hotel reservation.

Dan Howell has booked a block of rooms at a Best Western. The cost is around $200 and includes transfers from airport (hotel shuttle) and then transfer to ship by other vendor. A dinner is provided as well as a shuttle to area bars if interested. Whilst not at one of the male only places in Ft. Lauderdale, you will be up to your eye-teeth in gay soon enough the day of the cruise.

The concerns the other posters have about your afternoon arrival on the day of the cruise are warranted. Please let us know how all this works out.

Below is a web page for Dan Howell showing a phone contact for the pre-departure accommodations :

http://www.rsvpcruises.org/RSVP_Divina_Caribbean_Cruise.htm

Single and will be cruising with friends, and hoping to make new ones!

I will be arriving in Miami around 2PM the same day. Is that too close for comfort?

Yes it is! Although you will be coming from LA. We in the Northeast know better.....almost missed the cruise the one year we decided to fly in the day of the cruise. Now we always come in one, two, or even three days before the cruise!

We are staying at Dan Howell's pre-booked hotel also!

Edited by monumax
Added info

I just heard back from Rachel at RSVP that is helping coordinate the M&G (she is boarding Divina tomorrow with Randle and the gang for a final checkout).

The Meet and Greet will be at 1 pm Golden Jazz Bar on February 16th. (From Rachel who is coordinating entertainment: "That works best with other RSVP scheduled events.")

The Golden Jazz Bar was my favorite bar from what we saw on the tour. :)

_D3X9403_G_tcm12-58681.jpg

_D3X9433_G_tcm12-58682.jpg

You and I are in the same boat - so to speak - LOL. My 1st time as well and traveling single. Looking forward to meeting and making new friends.

I'm going with a group of friends and friends friends. Most have been on the cruise at least once. There are four of us going that are newbies.

Hopefully I see you at the CC M&G!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this info from Randle will answer your questions:

nless otherwise indicated, vouchers can be used in the main restaurant only. If vouchers are lost, they cannot be replaced. Also, unused vouchers have no cash value and cannot be returned for credit at the end of your cruise. Please note that unlimited consumption packages are unavailable on all charter sailings.

Does this mean the wine packages or all drink packages? Sorry if I'm being dense.

-ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the minimum, I would suggest that you book for an earlier arrival that day, if you cannot change to the day before. if you cannot rebook, keep this information in mind:

Although the ship does not leave until 7 pm, the last boarding is usually 1-2 hours before the ship. This is a US customs requirement, and I believe that you have to be in the terminal 1-2 hours before the ship so you can be cleared. You should contact MSC to find out the latest that you can board.

My cousin and her husband booked a cruise for their honeymoon but had the misfortune of arriving at the terminal after the last boarding. They were not let on even though the ship was still there and had the watch the ship leave without them.

I just heard back from Rachel at RSVP that is helping coordinate the M&G (she is boarding Divina tomorrow with Randle and the gang for a final checkout).

The Meet and Greet will be at 1 pm Golden Jazz Bar on February 16th. (From Rachel who is coordinating entertainment: "That works best with other RSVP scheduled events.")

The Golden Jazz Bar was my favorite bar from what we saw on the tour. :)

_D3X9403_G_tcm12-58681.jpg

_D3X9433_G_tcm12-58682.jpg

Peter, I am glad you are working with Rachel for the Meet and Greet. I met her and Randle this past summer on our RSVP Danube Riverboat sailing. She is a lovely person. We did a few things on that trip together

Also thank you as always for keeping everyone up to date on this thread.

Dan

At the minimum, I would suggest that you book for an earlier arrival that day, if you cannot change to the day before. if you cannot rebook, keep this information in mind:

Although the ship does not leave until 7 pm, the last boarding is usually 1-2 hours before the ship. This is a US customs requirement, and I believe that you have to be in the terminal 1-2 hours before the ship so you can be cleared. You should contact MSC to find out the latest that you can board.

I have seen 5 pm posted as the time to be onboard the Divina - I think I saw that on the Holy Ship! charter web page (the 3-day charter for electronic music fans that just ended)

From the MSC FAQs:

Check-in closes one hour before the ship is due to depart, except for American ports where check-in closes 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

Oh, and be sure to check in online at least 48 hours before sailing time otherwise it can slow down your check-in at the ship.

Edited by Boytjie

Does anyone know if there is van transport to Orient Bay? We would like to go to the clothing optional beach and also do the para sailing.

You can take a cab, that is what we did when we were there in 2007 (with Max and Bob). I am sure nothing much has changed. Back then the cost per person went down the more people were cabbing together.

After spending the morning there we wanted to go to Marigot for lunch and something like 11 of us tool a minibus - one with a 'Real Men Love Jesus' sticker on the back. The driver did not bat an eyelid even if some were camping it up. He gave us a tourist speach along the way.

There were lots of cabs at the beach so I don't think getting there or back is a big deal.