Who gets the upgrades?

SoBaycruiser

I know there is some complex way that Princess uses to choose upgrades that no one has figured out. I am not asking how to get an upgrade. But what I have noticed is that I'm always hearing about those with interior rooms or obstructed views getting upgraded. I don't hear about those who paid for assigned balconies getting minis or even better balconies. We are coming close to final payment and I now see that all balconies, minis, and suites are sold out and yet whole blocks of OV are available. I assume many OV purchasers got upgraded leaving the cheaper rooms available for sale.

I guess it may be more complicated to move a balcony person to a better room and then an OV person to the newly available balcony. But it would seem a little more fair. I don't really begrudge those who get upgrades. I just hate to think that by paying for a nice room that I disqualify myself from ever getting upgraded.

I guess what I'm saying is...has anyone who has had a paid assigned balcony room (not guarantee) or better been upgraded?

We booked a BB balcony for our cruise next weekend. We received two nice price reductions and when I checked with our TA about a 3rd smaller one we were asked if we would accept a mini-suite and $50 OBC instead - we did, and ended up in an AB mini. Then a month or so ago we received an email asking if we would like a full suite for $199 each - which we accepted and have a Penthouse Suite. Not really an "upgrade" since we paid - but since our cost ended up being $250 less PP than we originally booked - we feel upgraded! :-)

I have also received a upgrade from a balcony to a mini. Just luck, I'm sure. But I do know the most likely people to get an upgrade are those that book a guarentee cabin. Though most of those upgrades are from one category to a higher category, but not often from like a balcony to a mini. I also know that a travel agent can push for a upgrade for you. I was just upgraded from a category F guarentee to a AB category on my next cruise. That made me happyhappy.

I have no idea how it works, but DO know that when we booked our Med Cruise with RCL our agent told us NOT to book a balcony from our oceanview...he stated that RCL would KNOW this was our first time with them, and that given the number of cruises we had under our belts (30) that they would upgrade us IF there were a cabin available....sure enough, got our balcony.

We have not experienced upgrade before because we always request specific cabins locked on because of view (obstructed view without obstruction, or sailing with a group and wanting to remain sharing balconies/local).

I have no idea how it works, but DO know that when we booked our Med Cruise with RCL our agent told us NOT to book a balcony from our oceanview...he stated that RCL would KNOW this was our first time with them, and that given the number of cruises we had under our belts (30) that they would upgrade us IF there were a cabin available....sure enough, got our balcony.

We have not experienced upgrade before because we always request specific cabins locked on because of view (obstructed view without obstruction, or sailing with a group and wanting to remain sharing balconies/local).

How would RCL know about your cruises on other lines?????

I know there is some complex way that Princess uses to choose upgrades that no one has figured out. I am not asking how to get an upgrade. But what I have noticed is that I'm always hearing about those with interior rooms or obstructed views getting upgraded. I don't hear about those who paid for assigned balconies getting minis or even better balconies. We are coming close to final payment and I now see that all balconies, minis, and suites are sold out and yet whole blocks of OV are available. I assume many OV purchasers got upgraded leaving the cheaper rooms available for sale.

I guess it may be more complicated to move a balcony person to a better room and then an OV person to the newly available balcony. But it would seem a little more fair. I don't really begrudge those who get upgrades. I just hate to think that by paying for a nice room that I disqualify myself from ever getting upgraded.

I guess what I'm saying is...has anyone who has had a paid assigned balcony room (not guarantee) or better been upgraded?

Another thing to remember is that on most ships in the fleet, "desireable upgrades" aka rooms with balconies represent 3/4th of the cabins...by virtue, booking a low category means theres more room to move up. Balconies represent almost 40% so that's where most will end up. there are some stats here

We usually book a mini suite and we are very fussy about where the cabin is located on the ship, i.e., not under the pool deck or above an entertainment venue. So we say no upgrade, so far, Princess has never upgraded us... we will be on our 22 nd Princess cruise.

With the same requirements, we have gotten upgrades to a full suit on Celebrity and HAL a few times.... they always call and ask our TA if we would accept the upgrade. We look at where the cabin is located first before accepting.

We got upgraded from a regular mid-ship balcony to a suite and we LOVED it! :D

I was looking at our booking one day and noticed the cabin number had changed, I searched to see where we were moved to and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I called my Mom and we screamed and danced together on the phone! It was an awesome experience and we loved all the perks!

We got upgraded from a regular mid-ship balcony to a suite and we LOVED it! :D

I was looking at our booking one day and noticed the cabin number had changed, I searched to see where we were moved to and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I called my Mom and we screamed and danced together on the phone! It was an awesome experience and we loved all the perks!

Were you not called or emailed about the upgrade? I can't imagine how exciting this was for you!!

We have never been upgraded and still have hopes one day this will happen for us.

On our Asia cruise on the Diamond we were upgraded from a AA mini to a penthouse suite. I found out online when obsessively checking our reservation - no email from Princess. I waited a couple days before telling DW in case they had made a mistake. No mistake, we did the happy dance. This was going to be our third Princess cruise. We're not newbies, not elite, we didn't pay the most for that AA, didn't pay the least, no rhyme or reason to be upgraded. My best guess is Princess needed an AA in inventory (they'd been sold out) and picked a cabin at random (ours).

We sail on the Crown in April..And congrats on the PH suite Looks like all the suites are sold out for our cruise...But we can always dream...LOL

We booked a BB balcony for our cruise next weekend. We received two nice price reductions and when I checked with our TA about a 3rd smaller one we were asked if we would accept a mini-suite and $50 OBC instead - we did, and ended up in an AB mini. Then a month or so ago we received an email asking if we would like a full suite for $199 each - which we accepted and have a Penthouse Suite. Not really an "upgrade" since we paid - but since our cost ended up being $250 less PP than we originally booked - we feel upgraded! :-)

I have to agree with the other posters who think it is random selection.

Here is our experience:

On our first Princess cruise, we booked a minisuite thru a TA.

Nothing was mentioned about the possibility of a free upgrade.

At checkin, nothing was mentioned that we were upgraded.

As we searched for our stateroom on the Dolphin deck, we discovered that our key cards did not work.

Princess had name cards placed near the door that we did not notice immediately. When we did notice, someone else's name was there.

Hubby was annoyed, and we found a crew member to assist us.

She excused herself for a few minutes to find out more info.

Hubby said to me, "So far, I am NOT happy with this cruise!"

When the crew member returned, she told us that we had been upgraded to S701 on the Sun Deck.

This was a nice location, as it was very quiet and the views were stunning.

Sipping complimentary champagne on the balcony as we sailed through Puget Sound on a nice day was a nice touch, too.:)

As we opened the door to this glorious full suite...Hubby said to me:

"About what I said earlier...forget I ever said it."

It was a great cruise aboard the Golden Princess for our wedding anniversary.:cool:

We will be sailing Princess again in a couple months.

Booked a mini again, so we shall see what happens.:D

I have to agree with the other posters who think it is random selection.

Here is our experience:

On our first Princess cruise, we booked a minisuite thru a TA.

Nothing was mentioned about the possibility of a free upgrade.

At checkin, nothing was mentioned that we were upgraded.

As we searched for our stateroom on the Dolphin deck, we discovered that our key cards did not work.

Princess had name cards placed near the door that we did not notice immediately. When we did notice, someone else's name was there.

Hubby was annoyed, and we found a crew member to assist us.

She excused herself for a few minutes to find out more info.

Hubby said to me, "So far, I am NOT happy with this cruise!"

When the crew member returned, she told us that we had been upgraded to S701 on the Sun Deck.

This was a nice location, as it was very quiet and the views were stunning.

Sipping complimentary champagne on the balcony as we sailed through Puget Sound on a nice day was a nice touch, too.:)

As we opened the door to this glorious full suite...Hubby said to me:

"About what I said earlier...forget I ever said it."

It was a great cruise aboard the Golden Princess for our wedding anniversary.:cool:

We will be sailing Princess again in a couple months.

Booked a mini again, so we shall see what happens.:D

First time Princess cruisers are usually the ones that get these great upgrades.

Its a way for them to reel you in.

We have seen it time and time again. :rolleyes:

Were you not called or emailed about the upgrade? I can't imagine how exciting this was for you!!

We have never been upgraded and still have hopes one day this will happen for us.

In 2010 we had a balcony booked for the 18 day Star repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Copenhagen.About 2 weeks before the cruise I decided to pay an addition $1000 and change to a minisuite,as a surprise for my wife.A few days before the cruise we were upgraded to a Vista Suite.I booked the lowest priced mini and was initially given a catagory AC and somehow jumped all the AB and AA passengers.That was exciting!

No, we were not called or emailed about the upgrade! I was just looking at our booking and noticed the room change! At first, I got a little mad because I didn't know it was suite! But as soon as I figured it out, I started screaming and I couldn't believe it, I called my Mom to see if here booking looked like mine and it said the same thing! So we both jumped for joy and screamed with excitement!

We booked a BG Guarantee for our Mediterranean cruise and were upgraded twice. We ended up in a Mini suite.

I think I know what they are trying to do..

Our first cruise, we had an inside cabin

Our second cruise, we had a OV. No more insides after that!

Our third cruise, we had a balcony Nor more OV after that!

Our last cruise, we had a mini-suite.. I am sensing a bit of a pattern.. :rolleyes:

Archived