Venice-Rome or Rome-Venice?

OnlineMom

Hello! My family is considering a Greek Isles cruise with Princess for next Summer. Itineraries for 2014 are not out yet but - assuming they will be similar to the 2013 sailings - I'm wondering if there is a voyage that is more preferable - Venice to Rome? Or Rome to Venice?

Are they quite similar? Or are there advantages to one over the other?

Thanks!

I don't think it makes a huge difference, depending on the other ports in between.

We did a 12 day cruise from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Monte Carlo, Livorno (Florence), to Naples, to Santorini, to Kusadasi, to Mykonos, to Athens, to Katakolon (Olympia), to Corfu, and ending in Venice.

We added 3 days pre-cruise in Rome and 3 days post-cruise in Venice. With 1 day through Paris on the way and 2 days in Paris on the way home. We were gone 21 total days (FANTASTIC TRIP)!!!

For the length of time it takes to get there, and the cost, we wanted to stay as long as we could. Just be prepared for everything to be more costly. Take half the clothes you think you need, and twice the money!:D

All things being equal, I'd choose to start in Rome and finish in Venice. Since the prevailing wisdom is to arrive a few days before your cruise (many good reasons, such as jet lag, delays, lost luggage, etc.), I think Rome is the better place to do so -- because there is so much to see there. (Also, hotels in Rome are cheaper, in general, than comparable hotels in Venice.)

I think Princess already gives you an overnight onboard ship in Venice, which may be enough. (It would be for me, but others will disagree I'm sure. :D)

The only other thing I'd look at is the sail in/sail out times for Venice. Make sure it's a time when you are up and awak to enjoy it. Some ships sneak into Venice in the really, really early morning hours (or leave very late at night), and IMO you wouldn't get the true benefit of the sailaway.

Archived