Triumph pax: "SURVIVORS"???

Amy Giard

Yup - several news outlets have been

calling the Triumph pax "survivors".

Am I missing something? How can you

have "survivors" when no one actually

"perished "???

I did not know someone had to perished to be a survivored? mmmmmmmm.

Maybe they are marketing "I Survived the Triumph" T-shirts.:D

Do a Google search - there's already a few different ones out on the web. The one I saw with the Carnival logo may be treading on shaky legal ground.

Wearing one might get someone a free drink or two, whether the person was actually on the Triumph cruise - or not.

I'm always a bit leary of these type of t-shirts that are readily available for anyone to buy.

Actually it's not that unusual for somebody to die on a cruise ship, just the law of averages. I suspect that (1) if somebody died on the Triumph, it would have been big news and (2) assuming nobody did die, that may have been one of the safest cruises of the year.

Roy

nobody died with the triumph. one elderly woman was air lifted for some breathing problem and another one due to a pre-existing condition...again..somebody trying to stir the pot and start rumors. as far as it being "survivor"..hardly!!! they had food, watch the show, not so much unless your eating bugs. they had comedians doing shows, movies being ran...not on survivor. these people had blankets, mattresses, robes...not on survivor. come on, please

..again..somebody trying to stir the pot and start rumors. come on, please

Maybe they survived not having their insulin refrigerated - or whatever other drug the big discussion was about ! - Sorry I couldn't help myself :p

If you didn't get this you missed a great thread !

"Didn't one of those "survivors" make a statement here that she saw 3 dead people being airlifted off the Triumph by the Coast Guard? The thread disappeared, but I am positive that's what she said. She missed a funeral too.":rolleyes:

nobody died with the triumph. one elderly woman was air lifted for some breathing problem and another one due to a pre-existing condition...again..somebody trying to stir the pot and start rumors. as far as it being "survivor"..hardly!!! they had food, watch the show, not so much unless your eating bugs. they had comedians doing shows, movies being ran...not on survivor. these people had blankets, mattresses, robes...not on survivor. come on, please

I think the preexisting condition was she had to have dialysis once a week and Wednesday was her day. They showed her being transported onto a coast guard ship for transport back to dry land.

To get on a "lighter" note, looking at all the pictures from the passengers and whomever else, my favorite photo was the one with the young lady holding up the sign reading "I Miss my Cat". That was really cute and made me laugh. I want all of the passengers (and crew) from Triumph to know that I said a prayer for them all to make it back home safely. Take care.

For the prayers. I can tell you that it was a very scary experience at first, knowing there was a fire and not knowing the extent of the damage, etc. however, I do not consider myself a "survivor", I consider myself a passenger who happened to be on a ship that had issues and lost power. Just as if I had been in my car and got a flat tire or something. You just deal with it. One thing at a time.

Some of the other guests made life worse for everyone else by spending all of their time and energy gathering "evidence" and announcing how they will "own" Carnival after this, etc. Really?. Use your powers for good, not evil.

We got home to Dallas about 2:30 am Saturday. If anyone has any questions about the trip just let me know.

Debbie

Hi Debbie so glad your home and safe. I would of been thinking just like you these things do happen, but its best it happen on a ship on land and that you got home safe rather than on a plane that had faulty equipment.

Debbie get that next cruise booked you so much deserve it.

Actually it's not that unusual for somebody to die on a cruise ship, just the law of averages. I suspect that (1) if somebody died on the Triumph, it would have been big news and (2) assuming nobody did die, that may have been one of the safest cruises of the year.

Roy

I agree, we were on Holland America and two were taken out by ambulance and one was airlifted off and that was a wonderful cruise with no sewage in the halls. All the drama and potential lawsuits will just increase the cost of cruising.

were you on the ship? How was it? From video I saw people seemed pretty good and happy for most part, I'm sure people were a little mad, but you go with the flow. I would have hated it because of those red bags lol, minus that I'd go with the flow

For the prayers. I can tell you that it was a very scary experience at first, knowing there was a fire and not knowing the extent of the damage, etc. however, I do not consider myself a "survivor", I consider myself a passenger who happened to be on a ship that had issues and lost power. Just as if I had been in my car and got a flat tire or something. You just deal with it. One thing at a time.

Some of the other guests made life worse for everyone else by spending all of their time and energy gathering "evidence" and announcing how they will "own" Carnival after this, etc. Really?. Use your powers for good, not evil.

We got home to Dallas about 2:30 am Saturday. If anyone has any questions about the trip just let me know.

Debbie

What a great attitude. No matter what happens in life there are always those that think that the world owes them. They are miserable and can't just enjoy what they have but focus on what they don't have.

Please everyone .... the folks on Triumph did have a very unfortunate experience. It was especially hard for those in wheelchairs and others who needed to take elevators. Having no working toilets in cabins had to have been so no fun for all. :(

LuLu

~~~

WOW really

There is a show on TV called survivor I dont remember any of the contestants dying

Ya know the part where they snuff out your torch and

you get booted from the island? That's how you "die"

on that show.

My point is when you say someone is a "survivor" it

is implied that some people didn't make it.

Multiple definitions available for the word, but one that is readily accepted via dictionary.com . . .

sur·vi·vor

/sərˈvaɪthinsp.pngvər/ [ser-vahy-ver]

noun

a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.

Origin:

1495–1505; survive + -or2

Ya know the part where they snuff out your torch and

you get booted from the island? That's how you "die"

on that show.

My point is when you say someone is a "survivor" it

is implied that some people didn't make it.

Guess it shows how much i watch that program:o

sur·vi·vor

/sərˈvīvər/

Noun

1.A person who survives, esp. a person remaining alive after an event in which others have died: "the sole survivor of the massacre".

=============================

We can argue semantics all night, but I think most

reasonable people would agree the connotation

of the word "survivor" in this context implies that some did not survive.

Archived