Passport Expiring?

starscollide

My Canadian passport expires in July 2013. I am flying on March 1 from Toronto to Miami, and sailing on the NCL Epic Mar 2 - 9. It shouldn't be an issue that it expires in four months, right?

I do have a NEXUS/Trusted Traveller card as well - if that helps your answer any :/

You should not be traveling without six months validity left on your passport. Some countries refuse entry with less than six valid months and some cruise ships refuse to board guests without that remaining amount of time.

(U.S. can sail closed loop without passport).

It means U.S. citizens can sail from same U.S. port to Caribbean, Mexico, Canada or Bermuda and back to port where they began with only birth certificate and government issued I.D. I do not know if Canadians can do that without passport.

The danger is if they have an emergency and must leave the ship to fly home mid cruise, they cannot fly interrnationally without passport. It is a risk to take the cruise, though U.S. citizens can, without passport.

U.S. and everyone else needs passport for any other international cruise/air flight.

Should not be a problem. The ports you are stopping at simply require a valid passport, as does the US. But check with NCL, some cruise lines have more restrictive policies.

Timing is very tight for you, but it is possible to renew your passport before it expires. You loose the time left on the old passport. But you simply have to complete a short form and supply new pictures along with the old passport to get a new one good for 5 years from date of issue. Passport Canada http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng

We had the same problem last year with my DS and BIL. In the US you have to send your old passport in to renew and we were worried we wouldn't have enough time to get the new ones back in time. We were on a closed loop cruise but were going to South America and weren't sure if that was included in a "closed loop cruise." Our TA reassured us that we were fine. We had no problem at all. We sailed in March and their passports were due to expire in August. That being said, we are Americans and left from an American port. If I were you, the best advise you got on here was to contact the Canadian passport authority and get the true facts that you can count on. Good luck!

Sometimes it it the cruise line who enforced the six month rule for remaining validity despite what Immigration Officers would require.

They could be denied boarding at the dock..... possibly. That is the first thing you must verify IMO

It means U.S. citizens can sail from same U.S. port to Caribbean, Mexico, Canada or Bermuda and back to port where they began with only birth certificate and government issued I.D. I do not know if Canadians can do that without passport.

The danger is if they have an emergency and must leave the ship to fly home mid cruise, they cannot fly interrnationally without passport. It is a risk to take the cruise, though U.S. citizens can, without passport.

U.S. and everyone else needs passport for any other international cruise/air flight.

In fact the closed loop exception applies to re-entry into the US only. The WHTI web pages point out that countries being visited may require passports for entry. See http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html. Most if not all Caribbean nations relax their requirements for cruise visitors.

Sometimes it it the cruise line who enforced the six month rule for remaining validity despite what Immigration Officers would require.

They could be denied boarding at the dock..... possibly. That is the first thing you must verify IMO

Agreed, I have seen cruise contracts with 3 months and 6 months requirements. Check and see what the cruise lines want. I had to renew my passport early for the same reasons.

The US does not require a 6 month validity for Canadian passports, so no problem flying to or from Miami. The destination Caribbean nations do not impose a 6 month passport requirement on cruise visitors, and rarely even look at any ship passenger documentation, so it is fine there. NCL does not impose their own 6 month validity either, so you are good to go.

To have one less thing to worry about, why not just go ahead and renew it now? Then it's done, no worries, just enjoy yourself.

It's an additional $70 ontop of the renewal fee to get it in time; I'd need the 24 hour option as the other options have it delivered between Feb 28th and March 6 which obviously won't work.

Passport Canada told me it might be an issue at ports; NCL said no issue. I'm going tomorrow (as today was Family Day and no where was open) to get pictures done and pay the $70 for expedited 24 hour service.

Thanks all.

It's an additional $70 ontop of the renewal fee to get it in time; I'd need the 24 hour option as the other options have it delivered between Feb 28th and March 6 which obviously won't work.

Passport Canada told me it might be an issue at ports; NCL said no issue. I'm going tomorrow (as today was Family Day and no where was open) to get pictures done and pay the $70 for expedited 24 hour service.

Thanks all.

You have to do what you feel most comfortable doing.

St Thomas is US territory and has the same entry rules as the rest of the US which for most Canadian citizens on a vacation is simply a valid passport. Bahamas is part of the Commonwealth, I've only had to show my passport to get back aboard my ship. St Maarten only checks passports/ids when one is headed back to the ship. Both St Maarten and Bahamas have different entry requirements for cruise ship visitors than those arriving for a stay.

Thanks all.

I heard on TV News a while ago that the renewal fee goes up significantly in July 2013 in Canada. So,you spent a bit now instead later;).Be happy!:D

I heard on TV News a while ago that the renewal fee goes up significantly in July 2013 in Canada. So,you spent a bit now instead later;).Be happy!:D

Because in July the passports will be valid for 10 years instead of 5 as it is now

so it is a pay me now or pay me later deal ..they still get your money ;)

There is no 6 months passport validity requirement for cruise ship visitors to the Carribbean islands you will be visiting. Nor for Canadians entering the US. So I think you are fine.

Furthermore, your NEXUS card is a WHTI compliant document and should be valid for purposes of boarding the cruise. You may face puzzled looks from port staff though since they may not have seen it before.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/can_ttp1.html

The NEXUS card alone can be used for air travel between the US and Canada in certain cases, but you will probably have first hand knowledge of that.

U.S. and everyone else needs passport for any other international cruise

Generally true, and passport is always recommended, but there are exceptions.

As far as US Customs & Border Protection is concerned:

1) Canadians can use a WHTI compliant document such as an Enhanced Driver's License or NEXUS trusted traveller card to cruise.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html

2) US Lawful Permanent Residents require just their I-551 permanent resident card (aka green card) to cruise. Depending on country of citizenship, caribbean countries may impose a visa requirement (generally not for Canadians).

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Cruise lines may impose requirements beyond these so check with them.

I went in to renew yesterday; an extra $30 and I can pick up next Wednesday.

I called and spoke to a CS agent with NCL who said it SHOULD be valid; but depending on the ports we're travelling to, and the 'tone' of the immigration officer/individuals who let you on the ship, it could be a different story. NCL couldn't confirm (nor deny) I'd be let on the ship.

Better safe than sorry.

I went in to renew yesterday; an extra $30 and I can pick up next Wednesday.

I called and spoke to a CS agent with NCL who said it SHOULD be valid; but depending on the ports we're travelling to, and the 'tone' of the immigration officer/individuals who let you on the ship, it could be a different story. NCL couldn't confirm (nor deny) I'd be let on the ship.

Better safe than sorry.

That is not too bad time & price wise

Enjoy the cruise

So Canadian passports will now be valid for 10 yrs starting with July 2013? Finally!

But too bad my DHs expires in June. Oh well.

If you do not need it before July just wait until the new ones come out ;)

Archived