Is the Crown staying on the West Coast in 2014

sonnenschein

The Crown Princess arrives April 2014 in Los Angeles from her South American cruise. I am wondering if she stays on the West Coast for cruises to Hawaii. We always get the older "refurbished" ships i.e. Grand, Gold and Sapphire,it sure would be nice to get one of the newer ones. Ships leaving from San Francisco are always sold out,even while using the old port (a new one is being built)I feel a bit neglected by Princess and other cruise co. Any info on where the Crown is going, I would love to know.

Looked at the Princess website and that's the last cruise listed. So it would be interesting if the Crown then goes up to the NW for the Alaskan cruises and then does the Hawaiian cruises from SF or LA. It would be nice to have a newer ship considering that our "newest" ship is the Sapphire (I believe) and that was built in 2004.

Looked at the Princess website and that's the last cruise listed. So it would be interesting if the Crown then goes up to the NW for the Alaskan cruises and then does the Hawaiian cruises from SF or LA. It would be nice to have a newer ship considering that our "newest" ship is the Sapphire (I believe) and that was built in 2004.
The Crown's maiden voyage was in June of 2006 so she is not that new.

The Crown Princess arrives April 2014 in Los Angeles from her South American cruise. I am wondering if she stays on the West Coast for cruises to Hawaii. We always get the older "refurbished" ships i.e. Grand, Gold and Sapphire,it sure would be nice to get one of the newer ones. Ships leaving from San Francisco are always sold out,even while using the old port (a new one is being built)I feel a bit neglected by Princess and other cruise co. Any info on where the Crown is going, I would love to know.

The Crown Princess will probably be replacing the Diamond Princess next year on the northbound/southbound voyages in Alaska.

The Crown is far from my favorite ship. I preferred the Sapphire, maybe the "new" Grand, definitely the good ol' Island/Coral. Can you enumerate the age-related features you prefer on the Coral? Or is it merely a matter of maintenance?

The Crown is far from my favorite ship. I preferred the Sapphire, maybe the "new" Grand, definitely the good ol' Island/Coral. Can you enumerate the age-related features you prefer on the Coral? Or is it merely a matter of maintenance?

Always like input on ships. Is your choice because of size or other factors. Thanks.

bringing a ship with ZERO covered pools to alaska and/or the pacific with journeys too hawaii seems like a bad idea. I live in Seattle, our summer doesnt start till the 5th of july, thats a month and a half into the alaska season.

Also, with 500 people more than the grand/golden/star and no climate controlled calypso pool area, that means that many more people in the buffet.

I am always for additional ships on the west coast, but I think the Sapphire and Grand (along with the Golden and Star) are great ships...even though I've only been on the Grand. I can't wait to go on the Sapphire in April, and even though I've not been on her, I think it could easily be my favorite ship. I too like the fact that the original 3 Grand class ships (as well as the "gem" ships Sapphire and Diamond) have less passengers and the covered pool area. Seems like since the Caribbean Princess, they just added more passengers and stopped covering the Calypso Pool. Again, I've only been on the Grand, but I like the current west coast ship options. Just wish I could go on more cruises and try them all! But I would love to have the Crown out here too!

The question of covered pools is a interesting one, by the looks of it princess has given up on building ships with them altogether. Looking at the new offering with the royal I think they have really messed up with there new pool concept.

The question of covered pools is a interesting one, by the looks of it princess has given up on building ships with them altogether. Looking at the new offering with the royal I think they have really messed up with there new pool concept.

Is it possible for a conversion of a pool to a covered one? Just wondering as I don't know the logistics involved. It would be a shame if Princess doesn't ever intend to bring over a newer (again, we're talking about ships younger than 2004) ship to the west coast. We do have some great itineraries (Alaska and Hawaii) over here.

Unfortunately, the Diamond appears to be relocating to Japan for the new market Princess is developing there. If they plan to keep the seven ships in Alaska, another ship is required and it appears that will be the Crown. Not the best ship for Alaska with no covered pool although Princess successfully uses her sister, the Emerald, for the Baltic cruises that have similar temperatures to Alaska. The Crown and the Grand have become available with the Royal and Regal coming into service for the European routes.

pools dont make money, they take money...i think thats the gist of it and why the royal and regal have only 2 paltry pools (not including sanctuary) while the grand class ships have 4+

Unfortunately, the Diamond appears to be relocating to Japan for the new market Princess is developing there. If they plan to keep the seven ships in Alaska, another ship is required and it appears that will be the Crown. Not the best ship for Alaska with no covered pool although Princess successfully uses her sister, the Emerald, for the Baltic cruises that have similar temperatures to Alaska. The Crown and the Grand have become available with the Royal and Regal coming into service for the European routes.

While I havent been to the baltics, I'm wondering if the temps and weather is more summery than alaska is which is unpredictable any time in the summer. One of the biggest complaints on any grand class ship is that the buffet is not big enough during peak bfast and lunch times, usually forcing some overflow into the adjacent pool area. If its uncovered, thats problematic in alaskas summers, or the first day or two on the way to hawaii from LA/SF.

While I havent been to the baltics, I'm wondering if the temps and weather is more summery than alaska is which is unpredictable any time in the summer. One of the biggest complaints on any grand class ship is that the buffet is not big enough during peak bfast and lunch times, usually forcing some overflow into the adjacent pool area. If its uncovered, thats problematic in alaskas summers, or the first day or two on the way to hawaii from LA/SF.
We have done Alaska twice and we have had warmer and colder weather than the averages on the Baltic route. I will have a better comparison after our cruise on the Emerald this June, although we are seldom in the covered pool.

pools dont make money, they take money...i think thats the gist of it and why the royal and regal have only 2 paltry pools (not including sanctuary) while the grand class ships have 4+

I agree, Princess operates there ships on the principal of personal choice,a family sailing on the royal have no choice of pool, it's muts nothing. Deciding ships up into smaller areas was there selling point. I woul

dn't fancy doing alaska on the crown, but saying that they haven't announced her itineraries yet. Looking at the give away prices they end up with most years maybe there are to many ships doing alaska. It's about time princess got out there big itinerary rut they are in and came up with something new.

The Crown Princess will probably be replacing the Diamond Princess next year on the northbound/southbound voyages in Alaska.

Yes, could well be, because Diamond offers Japan itineraries in 2014/15...

Sapphire Princess seems to replace Diamond Princess in Australia/NZ (according to the cruise list of Sydney), so Corwn Princess could replace Sapphire Princess on the Hawaii itineraries. ;)

I agree, Princess operates there ships on the principal of personal choice,a family sailing on the royal have no choice of pool, it's muts nothing. Deciding ships up into smaller areas was there selling point. I woul

dn't fancy doing alaska on the crown, but saying that they haven't announced her itineraries yet. Looking at the give away prices they end up with most years maybe there are to many ships doing alaska. It's about time princess got out there big itinerary rut they are in and came up with something new.

Agree about the itineraries, I know Nanaimo recently completed a cruise terminal that might allow for an afternoon visit rather than victoria at night on some cruises. The RT seattle itineraries are such compromises, half day in the AM in Ketchikan, late arrival to Juneau, just wish they could work something out a little better. I wouldn't miss ketchikan in lieu of a full day in a different port.

Always like input on ships. Is your choice because of size or other factors. Thanks.

The Sapphire's tonnage-to-passenger ratio is better, and I remember the Crown as seeming a bit more crowded. Mostly I'm a big aft-pool fan, and the Sapphire's aft pool terraces was lovely.

Like many here, I find the Island/Coral to be just the right size, and kinda lovely. With the addition of the IC, the twins should be even better.

That being said, there's a certain homogeneity to the line (at least the ships I've been on), and with the exception of the smaller Sun class, there aren't a whole lot of major make-or-break differences I can see.

The Sapphire's tonnage-to-passenger ratio is better, and I remember the Crown as seeming a bit more crowded. Mostly I'm a big aft-pool fan, and the Sapphire's aft pool terraces was lovely.

Like many here, I find the Island/Coral to be just the right size, and kinda lovely. With the addition of the IC, the twins should be even better.

That being said, there's a certain homogeneity to the line (at least the ships I've been on), and with the exception of the smaller Sun class, there aren't a whole lot of major make-or-break differences I can see.

Crown has 1 extra deck of passengers :(

But the atrium was purpose built rather than shoehorned in...and the jogging track on top of skywalkers would be nice. Also i do like cafe caribe (they will probably have to rename to something pacific related). Who knows, maybe ill will get a dry dock and get alfredos added too.

Having sailed the Crown in a cooler location (Canada/NE with snow), I will not sail on the Crown again, especially in a cool location. It was incredibly crowded as people were inside more. If this ship is going to Alaska, it would be the worst choice for Alaska IMO.

Having sailed the Sapphire on my last 5 cruises and probably 8 of the last 10 cruises - this is one of the best ships Princess has from a space ratio aspect and amenity aspect. I do like the Coral and Island also.

Unfortunately no....she won't clear Lions Gate bridge in Vancouver, so she'll either be Seattle-based or SanFransisco-based..Of the three Grand class, one will be deployed in Vancouver to fill Diamond's slot. The other two, along with Crown, will service the two eattle-Alaska and the one SanFransisco itineraries.....no matter which does what.

The absence of a covered pool on Crown would lead one to think she'll be the one based out of SanFransisco for the 10 days r.t. sailings.....but who knows...

Cheers

Yes, could well be, because Diamond offers Japan itineraries in 2014/15...

Sapphire Princess seems to replace Diamond Princess in Australia/NZ (according to the cruise list of Sydney), so Corwn Princess could replace Sapphire Princess on the Hawaii itineraries. ;)

It would be nice if ships with the retractable roofs are on the Hawaiian itineraries. And considering how popular the Hawaiian cruises are, it's good when a big ship (meaning the ones in the 100,000 to 120,000 range, not the megaship ones) are used for Hawaii.

Unfortunately no....she won't clear Lions Gate bridge in Vancouver, so she'll either be Seattle-based or SanFransisco-based..Of the three Grand class, one will be deployed in Vancouver to fill Diamond's slot. The other two, along with Crown, will service the two eattle-Alaska and the one SanFransisco itineraries.....no matter which does what.

The absence of a covered pool on Crown would lead one to think she'll be the one based out of SanFransisco for the 10 days r.t. sailings.....but who knows...

Cheers

I disagree, I think the Grand is there to stay in SF for the foreseeable future. I don't think princess has the demand in SF for the 10 day that Seattle has for 7 days at the same price point. Its taken a few summers of service to Alaska from SF to get a grand class size ship to be financially viable in SF. Given that Seattle is the "gold pot" for alaska cruises for domestic US passengers (sorry Vancouver, but there's a reason fares are more affordable, the airfare to Seattle for most US locations is less than to Vancouver), I would imagine the crown will take over duties of the Star or Golden which would either move to Vancouver, or perhaps run Monday or Friday departures from Seattle.

While I guess I could see the grand moving to Vancouver to do perhaps a RT Vancouver 7 day to compete with HAL, I think that would only put the Golden/Star down to SF and the crown would stay in Seattle where the demand would fill an extra 500 pax per week.

The dark horse is LA, could a second california city support Alaska cruises? A 10 day itinerary from LA to Vancouver with stops in Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, and Ketchikan could potentially work. The ship would then reverse the direction later on. A 14 day roundtrip could be possible as well with a "coastal" itinerary portion stopping in Astoria/SF/Victoria could work also.

Archived