Is the Nikon d3200 a good camera??

What do you think of the Nikon d3200 for travel and everyday use? :confused:

I'm hoping to be a photographer on cruise ships one day. I like this camera over the higher up ones because of the non flip out screen. I'd like to get a lens kit so that I have prior knowledge of how it works and how to use the different lenses.

Any opinon is welcome.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are just getting into the DSLR hobby. I would recommend looking at the Sony line of cameras because they have "image stabilization" built into their bodies unlike the others who have it in their lenses. The Sony A37 is on sale at costco

http://www.costco.ca/Sony-Alpha-A37-DSLR-Camera-16.1-MP--Bundle--.product.100008392.html I would also consider the Sony A57 over the 2 entry level Nikons.

Lenses are the major cost in photography and the Sony can use all the Minolta Maxxum AF lenses from the 80's and 90's at a fraction of the cost of current models. Sony bought out Minolta. This combo will allow you to grow into the hobby as your budget allows.

My son gave me this Nikon model with a Nikon 55-200 lens and I LOVE it. I am a camera novice and do alot of smooth jazz cruises and take alot of pics of jazz artists performing where flash photography is not allowed or on the lido deck from a distance, and the camera takes great pics .

My son selected this Nikon because it is very easy to operate for a novice

It's

• 2 months later...
My son gave me this Nikon model with a Nikon 55-200 lens and I LOVE it. I am a camera novice and do alot of smooth jazz cruises and take alot of pics of jazz artists performing where flash photography is not allowed or on the lido deck from a distance, and the camera takes great pics .

My son selected this Nikon because it is very easy to operate for a novice

It's

I have the Nikon D3200 now and I love it!

Thanks to everyone who offered input. It was really helpful.

The biggest cost is good lens. My wife uses the 3200 and she has an 18-300 lens at $900, SB700 flash $400, Sigma 10-20 at $400, good tripod at $100, neutral density filers for all lens $120. a nikon55-300 at $400., etc.

As you can see the cheapest thing is the 3200 camera body.

Once you start buying lens you must continue with the same brand.

The D3200 is most likely equivalent to a $3000 camera five years ago.

You cannot go wrong with either a Nikon or Cannon.

What do you think of the Nikon d3200 for travel and everyday use? :confused:

I'm hoping to be a photographer on cruise ships one day. Thanks.

Royal Caribbean photographers use Nikon equipment. My last cruise they had D3200 and D5100. So buying the same gear should help in your quest for a cruise ship photographer.

It's a great starter camera. I also suggest buying Bryan Peterson's book "Understanding Exxposure". It provides the necessary information on learning how to use the advanced features of your new camera.

I'm a Nikon guy, and it looks great on paper. Your lens selection is as important as the body though. I'm currently using a D90 (a bit dated, but very capable) with a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens. That lens (or similar by Nikkor, Sigma etc.) really brought the camera alive. I was amazed at the difference between the kit 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 lens that came with one of my older Nikons.

JM

Archived