Worrisome level of petty crime in S.A.

Paulchili

You really don't have to look like a tourist in Buenos Aires. No fancy camera, just the small one in my small shoulder bag. No baseball cap, no back pack, no jewellery, no fancy watch, no walking through difficult neighborhoods. Dark shoes and long pants that look like they belong in a city.

We were there a few years ago, and walking On the main pedestrian street were some people in their white new sneakers, carrying open maps, dressed with USA t shirts. It was pretty funny as they were walking targets. Just look like you live there and dress to blend in...

This has been helpful. Re Lima, we have already spent 4 days there before a Peruvian Amazon cruise exploring on our own: historical center, San Isidro, Miraflores and Barranco. We walked almost everywhere, and I'm sure we were pegged as tourists, as we don't speak Spanish, but we wore nondescript clothing and no jewellery. When we went to a kind of fancy restaurant for ceviche, we looked like bums comparatively! I'm thinking I'll see if I can set up a pick-up and drop-off schedule with Limacabs for each day, as we really don't want to go on any tours; we just want to get out of the port safely to a spot near someplace we haven't seen (like the Larco Museum or the Oro Museum).

Re Guayaquil, if Oceania doesn't provide a shuttle, were there taxis for hire at the port? Or was the shuttle provided by the city? It does look like the Malecon 2000 area will be very nice, once we can get there.

Re Pisco, was the ship docked at Puerto San Martin? If so, did the shuttle go to Paracas? Paracas is closer to San Martin than Pisco is, and looks like a nicer town. I don't think Pisco's port is used by cruise ships anymore. What I'd like to do there is find an English-speaking taxi driver to drive us around the Paracas Reserve, but I think I'm dreaming. Alternatively, could go on a Ballestas tour, but we've been to the Galapagos, so I'm not sure how interesting it will be.

Finally, re Matarani, while Arequipa looks fascinating, it's just too long a time to sit on a bus for us, so I'm still trying to figure out how to get to Mollendo. Any ideas on how I could find that out?

Penny

One more thing about tours in Lima:

We took a 'market to table tour' which I can recommend. We went to the Minka market in Callao, a wonderful place, clean, well organized and absolutely fascinating. From there, we went to a cooking demonstration in Miraflores and lunch in a nice restaurant, then to the Pueblo Libre neighborhood near Callao. The tour took almost all day but was well worth it.

A couple we met on the ship took a boat tour to the small islands with their sea lion colonies. They loved it. They had been in Lima before and seen all the important sights.

We cruised South America a few years ago. One woman got mugged in Montevideo, and had a black eye for a couple days afterwards. What I heard (not sure if true) was that she was walking by herself, with a purse, and wearing jewelry.

Hi Floridiana,

We will be on Marina next May (Lima to New York), and would love to hear about the market to table tour and anything else you can share about Lima. If you have a moment, please contact me at sandyeizatcoxdotnet. Thanks for any info you can provide. Sandy

Sandy,

The market to table tour was offered by the ship. The tour guide did not provide a card so, unfortunately, we cannot contact her. Her name is Julia.

The restaurant was in Miraflores above the Maria Reiche Park: El Senorio de Sulco, Malecon Cisneros 1470 (final Av.Pardo) Reservas (511) 441 0183/441 0389 e-mail: restaurante @seniordesulco.com

We were in Lima overnight and our second tour was 'highlights of Lima'. It went from the pier in Callao to the historical central plaza, - a sight not to miss! - offered a visit of the cathedral and a short walk to the Franciscan monastery nearby with a visit. The bus picked us up in front of the monastery and took us to Miraflores where we had little time. Then back to the ship.

Traffic was murderous. There is no fast way to get anywhere, but we saw a lot of Lima from the bus window. This was a good tour for a first time visit. Whatever you do, definitely include the Plaza de Armas.

Archived