Worrisome level of petty crime in S.A.

Paulchili

When I think of Buenos Aires I do not think of thieves, I think of the stranger who asked her friend if she could share her umbrella so that she could give hers to me when she saw how wet I was (knowing she would not get it back), the couple who 30 seconds later told me that I could take the next taxi so that I would not get sick, the tough looking young couple who helped me up when I fell on a pothole in the sidewalk and walked me home to make sure I made it safely, the engineer who took a day off work to give me a tour of his city (he was in the process of purchasing a new factory, but told his lawyer that he was busy and could not take calls).

I remember how upset my landlady was that I took a taxi only 2 blocks from the Plaza de Mayo at 1:00 AM - she said that I had no reason to feel unsafe! I remember all the delightful surprises in unexpected places, like the beautiful old architecture on the second floor of a typical Burger King - I felt like I had walked into a Moorish palace. At every turn I would discover hidden courtyards, and fascinating sights. When I was hungry I would approach a local and ask them where the best restaurant was - they never steered my wrong. I remember an evening open air tango concert in the former convent next to the Recoleta Cemetary.

Eight weeks in this enchanting city was not enough.

Do you happen to remember the location of this Burger King? The McDonald's 2nd story in Vienna was defintely opulent!

It may sound ridiculous but when we have extra time in a city new to us we ck. out BK, Wendy's or McD's - every country has something unique - in BK in Madrid they served wine, in Venice they had a fantastic pasta bar and garlic sticks, etc.

Of course, we mainly prefer to eat local meals, but it's been fun to see how different countries interpret originally American burger joints!

TIA

Enchanting post!

Thank you - I was afraid that I was rambling. :D

I could also have mentioned the taxi driver who drove me from the airport to my apartment near the Plaza de Mayo. I was warned that cabfare would be a fixed US $35. When the driver took me out of the way to show me sights, I was really happy that there was no meter running. Eventually we arrived at my apartment (right behind a garbage truck with two men who were tossing the bags in with exceptionally poor aim-half missed the truck) and I pulled out my wallet to pay the driver - who refused to accept a single penny from me. What an incredible introduction to the country!

Do you happen to remember the location of this Burger King? The McDonald's 2nd story in Vienna was defintely opulent!

It may sound ridiculous but when we have extra time in a city new to us we ck. out BK, Wendy's or McD's - every country has something unique - in BK in Madrid they served wine, in Venice they had a fantastic pasta bar and garlic sticks, etc.

Of course, we mainly prefer to eat local meals, but it's been fun to see how different countries interpret originally American burger joints!

TIA

It was somewhere on Florida Road, about a mile maybe from the Plaza de Mayo.

I am afraid that I did not try the food - I was only there to visit the washroom.:o

It was somewhere on Florida Road, about a mile maybe from the Plaza de Mayo.

I am afraid that I did not try the food - I was only there to visit the washroom.:o

Nice to know about the washrooms, too ... lol !!!!!

We just came off the same cruise that PaulChili was on. We were independent tourists in many of the ports. In speaking with the locals we found out that no matter what we do to look like locals they can tell by our attire that we are affluent travelers. We took cooking classes in both B.A. Argentina and Rio. We took cabs, public transportation and walked. Here are some hints, Never, never wear white sneakers anywhere in the world except the USA, wear local foot wear-do your research. Flip flops in Rio are a must, sandals with straps like Teva's are a no, no giveaway. They will never steal beads but will zoom in on anything that looks like gold or silver. Cheap plastic watches, no look alike Rolex's they will go after them. Never carry a purse if you can't secure it close to your body. A few bills and back up credit card is all you need ashore not the twenty cards in the big wallet you use at home. Carry only things you can easily replace. Never take your money or wallet out in clear view in the street or stores do it very discreetly. Pay your cab in the car not in the street. Only use cabs with meters. Stay clear of groups of local people waiting to trying to be "helpful" in the event of tripping, or other event that slows your progress. They will only fleece you of your stuff.

This part made me think about a movie scene:

just some fun before the weekend :)

Thank you - I was afraid that I was rambling. :D

I could also have mentioned the taxi driver who drove me from the airport to my apartment near the Plaza de Mayo. I was warned that cabfare would be a fixed US $35. When the driver took me out of the way to show me sights, I was really happy that there was no meter running. Eventually we arrived at my apartment (right behind a garbage truck with two men who were tossing the bags in with exceptionally poor aim-half missed the truck) and I pulled out my wallet to pay the driver - who refused to accept a single penny from me. What an incredible introduction to the country!

I'm thinking this may be par for the course in B.A. Because when we arrived in January 2002 we got a similar tour by our taxi driver!

Mura

TIA

Can't remember the name of the street...but there is a main "drag" in the middle of the city...which had a McD;s and a great food court under a major shopping enter...we were staying at the Sheraton ..so you might be able to find that main street from a map provided by the hotel or on the website...I think the street runs all the way down to the main square where Evita made her famous speech. Hope this helps!! LuAnn

Can't remember the name of the street...but there is a main "drag" in the middle of the city...which had a McD;s and a great food court under a major shopping enter...we were staying at the Sheraton ..so you might be able to find that main street from a map provided by the hotel or on the website...I think the street runs all the way down to the main square where Evita made her famous speech. Hope this helps!! LuAnn

You are probably thinking of the Galerías Pacífico mall on Calle Florida, which is the street I mentioned before. It does go down to the Plaza de Mayo, where the famous Casa Rosada is located.

If you ever happen to be back in the Galerías Pacífico mall, directly opposite the Mc D's there is a restaurant called the Patagonia where I had I had a lunch of wonderful lamb cubes with carmelized onions - for slightly less than the cost of a burger. :D Mc D's had a huge line-up and the restaurant was practically empty. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

We were in BA two weeks ago and were targetted twice by bird poopers. I believe it was my Nikon they were after. Having been forewarned, it was easy to tell what was happening. But both times we were not aware of when we actually got squirted.

We were in BA two weeks ago and were targetted twice by bird poopers. I believe it was my Nikon they were after. Having been forewarned, it was easy to tell what was happening. But both times we were not aware of when we actually got squirted.

Nikon around the neck = tourist.

Look like a tourist in any city and your a target!:rolleyes:

Nikon around the neck = tourist.

Look like a tourist in any city and your a target!:rolleyes:

True, but -realistically how do we manage not to look like a tourist most places, even when "dressing down"?

Better to be aware of your surroundings and have little on you.

DUHCAR, I am glad you were OK - this is one of the purposes of a thread like this - to make others be aware of a problem and thus be better prepared :)

True, but -realistically how do we manage not to look like a tourist most places, even when "dressing down"?

Better to be aware of your surroundings and have little on you.

DUHCAR, I am glad you were OK - this is one of the purposes of a thread like this - to make others be aware of a problem and thus be better prepared :)

Exactly. We will always look like tourists......

My Nikon just shone the spotlight on me rather than someone else.

Exactly. We will always look like tourists......

My Nikon just shone the spotlight on me rather than someone else.

Are you attempting to justify wearing the Nikon around your neck?

Economic problems notwithstanding, Buenos Aires (where I have a residence) is a sophisticated, cosmopolitan city. North Americans will not be (visibly) distinguishable from locals until such time as they start talking English. Wearing a fancy camera around one's neck while roaming the streets is not smart or justifiable.

Economic problems notwithstanding, Buenos Aires (where I have a residence) is a sophisticated, cosmopolitan city. North Americans will not be (visibly) distinguishable from locals until such time as they start talking English. Wearing a fancy camera around one's neck while roaming the streets is not smart or justifiable.

:eek:

So - when visiting BA don't speak at all (unless you are fluent in Spanish) and don't take any pictures?

If you ever happen to be back in the Galerías Pacífico mall, directly opposite the Mc D's there is a restaurant called the Patagonia where I had I had a lunch of wonderful lamb cubes with carmelized onions - for slightly less than the cost of a burger. :D Mc D's had a huge line-up and the restaurant was practically empty. Go figure.

Thank you so much...as we will be back at the Sheraton right by the mall Feb 1 of '14!!! We will look for Patagonia...must confess when we were there before we did do Mc D's...but that was for breakfast!!!! ;) LuAnn

So - when visiting BA don't speak at all (unless you are fluent in Spanish) and don't take any pictures?

No. Just don't make the odds of being a target greater than they would otherwise be by wearing a fancy camera around your neck. To say you might as well do so because it doesn't make a difference in whether you will or will not be targeted by street criminals is absurd. Street criminals can see a camera at distances even when you are out of earshot.

Moreover, even if you are speaking English in proximity to a would be thief, that alone doesn't, ipso facto, lure the criminal as would a fancy watch, camera or other expensive item on display. The very fact you are naive enough to display such an item reveals a lack of care that criminals would want to exploit.

I'm not arguing your point, not really. But methinks that just about ANY camera makes you suspect as a tourist, and I refuse not to take my nice but by no means fancy camera with me when I'm traveling. I do tend not to hang it around my neck. I have it inside my backpack (or other baggage) and pull it out as needed. But I'm obviously a tourist.

And I'm a tourist who wants to take pictures of what I am seeing. I've never been targeted because of that but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I'm aware of the risk.

And since I'm not fluent in Spanish (although I can manage basic questions and answers), I'm still a tourist.

Perhaps I might use my bigger camera in places where we haven't been warned, and will use my pocket-sized camera in areas where cameras can be a signal.

There's just no way to avoid these problems when economies are bad and we are the rich tourists.

That doesn't mean I didn't love BA when we were there in Jan 2002 and Rio when we were there much earlier, in March 1974. I expect to continue to love them even if I have to be careful.

But I live in NYC, where we always have to be alert.

Mura

No. Just don't make the odds of being a target greater than they would otherwise be by wearing a fancy camera around your neck. To say you might as well do so because it doesn't make a difference in whether you will or will not be targeted by street criminals is absurd. Street criminals can see a camera at distances even when you are out of earshot.

Moreover, even if you are speaking English in proximity to a would be thief, that alone doesn't, ipso facto, lure the criminal as would a fancy watch, camera or other expensive item on display. The very fact you are naive enough to display such an item reveals a lack of care that criminals would want to exploit.

Understood and agreed.

However, to them you are a tourist, no matter what you try to do. As such, to them, what you may (or may not) have in your pocket (a wallet full of money/credit cards - they don't know if you have it or not) may be even more attractive and valuable than your visible camera. Thus, ipso facto, you are a target anyway and not immune from being a target just because you don't show a camera/gold Rolex (your odds of not being targeted improve greatly if the guy next to you is flashing both - but you can't always count on it :D).

Bottom line - be aware of your surroundings and have little valuable on you in places like this.

Paul,

The last line of your previous post is good advice no matter where you are in the world, not just BA or Rio. To me there comes a point where you just have to stop worrying, use common sense and go about your business. Otherwise one's travel is confined to TA cruises where you never get off the ship.

Archived