Cannot stand the thought of......

susie8862

Getting rid of a gorgeous cocktail dress I have. Started cleaning out my closet this past weekend and found a dress that I ADORE. I cannot part with it, yet I know it will never fit me again. (body has changed over the years).

Are there any items in your closet for YEARS...that you cannot stand the thought of parting with????

I have a velvet jacket & blouse from about 1988 that I still absolutely love ... but not only do they no longer fit me, the style is so completely Working Girl. I took out the ginormous shoulder pads and they still look silly. :(

And I also have a suit that I bought in about 1992, when I was absolutely at my skinniest. I will wear the jacket again one day, but the skirt was silly - very long, very full (cut on the bias and pieced so it was really wide around the bottom), and a slit way up above my knee. And I work it to work!

I saved a lot of old clothes as I gained weight because I couldn't bear to give them away. This was a 24 year process. Then a year or so ago I finally started a weight loss lifestyle and ended up losing 50 pounds. I shopped my closet as my weight dropped and I was very happy to have those clothes; didn't care what style they were. (I admit I am not wearing the large shoulder pad items, though). I discovered a lovely black gown from the 80's that I'm taking on the cruise.

OTOH, I bought a great cocktail dress at a resale shop for my last cruise four years ago. I already had it taken in once (from 22W to 20W). Now I'm a size 12 and there's no way this dress can be tailored down that far because of the way it's constructed and the print. But I loved it.

I do have a few very old items that I do realize can never fit me again due to body changes, like my leather miniskirt from college. But I keep them for nostalgia.

I have my college blazer (that's dating me) that will never fit (and I wouldn't wear, anyway) but I just can't part with it. I also have a number of knitted tops and skirts that I made when I was in my knitting machine phase. I never wear skirts anymore (usless it is formal/semi-formal night on a cruise) but I spent so much time making them, I can't get rid of them. I'm glad I am not the only one who has problems getting rid of certain things.

My girlfriend gained about 70 pounds and ultimately lost it all.

She had held onto many of her more costly clothes (she's a professional working woman) and was so excited she could fit into them again. We met for lunch one day and I looked at her suit, acknowledged I remembered her wearing it years ago and gently suggested she take a good look at it and see how though it fit, it would never look good again. It had hung in the closet so long and the style was so dated looking. I praised that she could fit in it but hoped she wouldn't be offended with my honesty.

Though some 'looks' come back into style they are always just that bit different that makes the older models look like what they are.......20+ years old. BUT I know some folks call it vintage and love that. :)

I have some of my sons' little baby clothes in my closet and a little baby blanket I crocheted. Well, I simply cannot bare to ever give those away.

As for my own clothes, I guess I don't get attached to those very much. My wedding dress got lost in one of our moves, so that would probably be the one thing I would have kept.

This is sad. We looked at the condo for sale of a man who had died. His wife had died ten years before. He still had all her clothes and shoes in her closet. He had kept them all that time. I guess he just couldn't dream of giving her clothes away.

I do have one outfit each of my kids from when they were infants and my wedding gown. I do not expect my daughter to wear it, but I'd love for her to incorporate a piece of it into her gown (or under it) if she ever gets married.

Other than that, no I do not hang onto clothes for sentimental reasons. If I haven't worn it in a couple of years, out it goes.

I just got rid of a bunch of stuff the other day, I purge my closet at least once a year. The stuff that went was what I'd not been able to get rid of last year...but there it hung, unworn another year. Hopefully someone will "find" these clothes at the Goodwill store and it will find a new life and be more appreciated.

I do have some items that I've had for a number of years, classics like a great white cotton shirt, really nice slacks that fit well, a jacket that seems to be timeless. But I wear those things on a fairly regular basis.

I have the dress I wore to our rehearsal dinner 23 years ago. For years and years I swore it would never fit again, and now it is too big. But I can't stand to part with it. I'll never wear it again, but it makes me smile whenever I see it.

Archived