Does US Customs ever make you open your bags on arrival?

Turbo6ta

I have been lucky in that I have never had my bags checked by US Customs when returning for an overseas flight (mostly, returning from the Philippines and Japan).

Been able to get away with more than the 200 cigarettes (1 carton) limit per passenger.

How about these cruise lines after retuning from Cozumel or someplace like that?

Declaring items will surely make it so Customs checks your bags.

How about not declaring anything .... anyone here still have there bags opened by Customs on your return to the US if you didn't declare anything?

I have. We were returning from Amsterdam (lots of drugs there) to LAX and the dogs were running around the room sniffing the luggage. I had one of those mesh bags with three big cheeses in it in my trolley and the dog stood up and sniffed the cheese. I think that flagged or marked me, because when I got to the table they went through EVERYthing. They even went through my makeup and lifted out the eyeshadow colors from the containers to see underneath. Wild. Fortunately we were on the way home and I had no connection to make or person to meet, so I just watched while they tore apart my luggage.

My friend bought an expensive ring on the ship and assummed that "duty free" meant duty free. Wrong. The ship reported the sale to customs and they were held up at customs and had to pay customs. The folks at customs weren't very nice about it either. That was in Miami.

Speaking of cigarettes ... I was in the Philippines about 3 months ago.

A carton of Marlboro costs the equivalent of $8.00 USD over there ... That's cheap!

And they taste exactly the same as the Marlboro here in the US.

My friend bought an expensive ring on the ship and assummed that "duty free" meant duty free. Wrong. The ship reported the sale to customs and they were held up at customs and had to pay customs. The folks at customs weren't very nice about it either. That was in Miami.

Miami is tough... wonder why!! They do the typical dog sniffing of all luggage as it comes off the ship. Then after we cleared the 'normal' screening we had to walk thru a gate, single file, as an Agent stood there with his dog to sniff us (probably our carry on stuff more than us :)).

Hint... what ever you do - do NOT try to pet the dog!!

I just looked him in the eye (many won't) and said Good Morning. He smiled and looked at his dog, then said Good Morning back.

Miami is tough... wonder why!! They do the typical dog sniffing of all luggage as it comes off the ship. Then after we cleared the 'normal' screening we had to walk thru a gate, single file, as an Agent stood there with his dog to sniff us (probably our carry on stuff more than us :)).

Hint... what ever you do - do NOT try to pet the dog!!

I just looked him in the eye (many won't) and said Good Morning. He smiled and looked at his dog, then said Good Morning back.

Interesting. I don't think I would do that - his response seems to indicate that some people might do that as a way to distract him from noticing a response from his dog.

In 2009, I purchased a straw purse for my daughter in Nassau. I declared the purchase on the form given to me the last night of our cruise. As we were leaving the ship, I was stopped and had to show them the purse. Unfortunately, it was packed in a suitcase. I had to open a couple of suitcases to find it. Customs wanted to check it to make sure there was no insects or eggs in the fibers. My lesson learned was always put anything made of straw where I can easily produce it to customs.

Interesting. I don't think I would do that - his response seems to indicate that some people might do that as a way to distract him from noticing a response from his dog.

The dog doesn't give a Rat$$ A$$ what the handler is doing... all the handler need to know is if the dog recognizes something - which the dog will by sitting down etc.

The dog doesn't give a Rat$$ A$$ what the handler is doing... all the handler need to know is if the dog recognizes something - which the dog will by sitting down etc.

of course the dog doesnt care what the handler is doing. :rolleyes:

but I can see someone *attempting* to distract the handler from noticing the dog.

My case (and my mother's, father's and brother's) were all searched by UK customs once, on the way back from a Baltic cruise via Amsterdam. The contents did include 2 Russian dolls, one of 12 pieces and one of 20. I think Customs realised they'd picked the wrong people!

(Unlike US Customs, it seems, UK Customs do have to re-pack the bags. At least, they do if they don't find anything. Though several times after flying back from the USA, I've unpacked my case and found a note from Homeland Security saying they'd searched my case - which I wouldn't have known if they hadn't left the note. It was as neat as I'd packed it.)

?... anyone here still have there bags opened by Customs on your return to the US if you didn't declare anything?

LOL...either way, you can safely bet that the tobacco dog will be out with the rest in Miami. Not necessarily just for FL residents on the 2/28 Victory, either. There are plenty of people who try to bring back fake Cubans. Plenty get found, it's a pretty steady business.

(Unlike US Customs, it seems, UK Customs do have to re-pack the bags. At least, they do if they don't find anything. Though several times after flying back from the USA, I've unpacked my case and found a note from Homeland Security saying they'd searched my case - which I wouldn't have known if they hadn't left the note. It was as neat as I'd packed it.)

Well, that would be pretty unfair of Homeland Security to not repack it for you at that point! :D

(my husband, when he flies always gets that note - as part of his job he often has to pack things like wires and electronics that probably look in the scanner like a bomb!)

So as some one who doesnt smoke, I am curious as to how much cheaper cigs are in Mexico ? When I asked my sister what she wanted me to bring her back from our cruise next month she promptly replied a carton of smokes.

as others have said on the ship Cigs are about $28 a carton. You can get them for about $12 or less on some Caribbean islands although most of those are not made in the US.

A carton of Cigs in Manhattan can be $120 or more.

the technical rule is you are NOT allowed to bring back any amount that was made in the US and exported beyond the duty free allowance(one carton except if you stopped at a US insular possession then its 4-5). The duty per carton is about $12.00...all the rest is local taxes here...

Oh it's more than just cocaine and marijuana.

Some even sniff out currency. Not the drugs on currency, the bills themselves.

Well, you can bring $10,000 USD if your traveling alone or the same amount ($10,000) per family if your traveling with them without declaring any of the money.

But I can't see anyone bringing that kind of money on a short cruise.

All dogs are trained for different things. Some are for food, fruit. Others for drugs and so on.

All luggage is already sniffed before one person is off the ship, and the reason YOU have to claim it.

If your luggage has been alerted by the dogs while in the warehouse, you are then stopped.

Dogs are then taken through the lines to sniff bags that are carried off, but you have no idea if it's a drug dog or a food/fruit dog in Florida.

Anything bought where they ask for your cruise card, is reported to customs via computer already, so you might as well be truthful in that respect.

In Florida don't even think of taking a piece of fruit off the ship to eat later (NEVER/EVER) and sometimes even flowers you want to keep are taken, which depends on the agents watching all the while you are in that warehouse.

We were 'chosen' for a random search once getting off a Caribbean cruise and had to present all our luggage for search. The biggest issue was an expensive new camera; the inspector asked to see a receipt to prove we hadn't bought it while on our trip. We had bought it at home, but hadn't brought the receipt. Luckily, DW reminded me "I told you we should have brought the receipt...". The inspector laughed and said "that sounds like what my wife would say" and waved us through.

I've been down to my undies with every piece of paper in my posession photographed on both sides. Next time...maybe waived thru. I'll bet they've seen every ruse...fake crippled heroin smugglers on cruiseships to baby bottles full of diamonds. Do they have heart-rate detectors?? I dunno. Locomotiveman Tom

We've had our luggage opened more than once.

I now put a note in my suitcase TO TSA on every flight since I know they will have a gander!

In addition to all of the aforementioned reasons for a personal inspection, behavior can also entice an agent to take special note of a passenger. We always love it when a horses-you-know-what gets the once over. I can't forget the cruise plagued by a real piece of work and when the Customs agent stopped him applause broke out in the hall. It was deafening.

When answering the query "Can I make an 8:00 a.m. flight" I always point out being honest when filling out the form and leave the food onboard.

Archived